Genie Help Please.

Find Bootle friends and family here
ALAMO2008

Am trying to trace my Granddads younger Sister Edith Chapman born 12 March 1896 last heard of on 1911 Census at 12 Violet Rd.
In his Obituary in the Bootle Times Oct 1943 it lists the Chief Mourners which has been a great help in discovering the married names of his Sisters.
Some have been misspelt which would indicate it was dictated perhaps over the telephone.
One Chief Mourner not identified is Mrs Royle. not Mr & Mrs Royle - which could indicate she was a widow or husband on War duties and unable to attend.
1943 Gores Directory not much help with Surname Royle or Royal but there is a Mrs Edith ROYLANCE of 20 Ionic Street.
I'm wondering whether Mourner telephone call was wrongly heard as Mrs Royle and Mr P O'Malley

I need to find out about this Mrs Roylance to see if she was my Auntie Edith Chapman or to rule her out.

Anyone any ideas how can find out more ?
Last edited by ALAMO2008 on Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
BOBHAMO

hi alamo
william chapman 12 violet rd 1911

1949 21 ionic st ,r thomson
arthur roylance 73 kilburn street
could not find edith roylance 1949
wonder any connection to arthur. local area
bob hamo
bootle born altcar road
Jan

Hi Alamo,

Don't think Mrs Roylance was your Edith.

There was a marriage in 1937

Lancashire Marriage indexes for the years: 1937
Surname Forename(s) Surname Forename(s) Church / Register Office Registers At Reference
ROYLANCE John HAMILTON Edith E Bootle, Christ Church South Sefton A4/5/381

Jan
Old genealogists never die......they just lose their census.
ALAMO2008

Thanks can rule that theory out now.

Have sent for many Marriage Certs 1914 onwards none match my Edith.

One theory is that she left home and went abroad her father appears to have gone to sea a lot and claimed to be an American Citizen in 1892 in California.

Can find one sailing in 1912 from Liverpool to Portland claiming aged 17 not 16 as a Domestic could be her.

Another Edith Chapman went all over the world on sailings from Liverpool perhaps it was her and she never married and went abroad.
Thommos sister

For the genies, in 1911 she's listed as Edie, perhaps this is the name she used in other records? T.S
ALAMO2008

Thought I would everyone know the outcome of this quest for years.
Someone in Liverpool Archive Library when I was there on Saturday, suggested I search the 1939 Register for an Edith Royle born 1896.
And Search found one a Widow in Birkenhead with exact same Date of Birth 12th March 1896 and a Daughter Ruby born 6th April 1923.
A quick check of the Birth records for June Quarter 1923 for Ruby Royle showed Mother's Maiden name as "Chapman"

When I get her Birth Cert it should show Father's Name and Occupation.

That should help with search for Marriage of the parents.

Searches in UK I tried in the past for a Chapman & Royle proved fruitless.

I'm wondering whether she married abroad during WW1 (perhaps the USA) and returned home here to give birth.

Thanks everyone for your help and input to put back on the right track.
angied013

Well done, perseverance pays off in the end. Just wish I could fine some of my family who I think may have been abducted by aliens :D