Mary Deveney

Find Bootle friends and family here
Daft Apeth

I'm interested in anyone who can provide any information on my Grandmother Mary Flynn (nee Deveney). The Flynns are a long established family who have lived in and around the Bootle Strand Road area for a number of generations (many still do and I would not be surprised if a number of Flynns are not members of this website). I have plenty of information relating to the Flynn side of my family however know little of Mary Deveney and her family.

The details I have are as follows:

Mary Deveney – Born around 1897 (Not known where)

Marriage 1: April 17th 1915
Mary Deveney & Chris Kelly
Father is James Deveney (Coal Heaver)

They were together for a short period (Lived at Mann Street Bootle) when Chris had to go away to the War – he was commended in April 1916 with a DSM for his “conspicuous bravery whilst serving on a minesweeper in the North Sea”. Sadly two months later was killed off the Irish Cost doing similar work. He was 23.

His death was reported in the Liverpool Echo 15 June 1916.

http://www.merseysiderollofhonour.co.uk ... gc=3043804

Mary Deveney had a Sister:
Catherine (Kate born Ireland ?) who married an Owen Boylan. She died at 11 Rutland Street on 16th November 1962.
Also a Brother - James Devaney who emigrated to Cleveland Ohio USA (?)

She then married my Grandfather George Flynn

Marriage 2: September 7th 1918
George Flynn - Father Thomas Flynn, Mother Charlotte Grigsby
Mary Kelly (Widow -nee Deveney)
They were living in William Henry Street - Bootle

They went on to have 12 children, sadly 3 died young. Fortunately the others survived and thrived:
Helen (Nellie), Emily, Mary (May), Patricia, Teresa, Joan, Maureen, George and James.

Mary Flynn (Deveney) Died 21st April 1948 aged 51 years at 40 Virginia Street

Any information relating to the Deveney family, where they came from, parents, or simply anecdotes would be warmly received.

Many thanks
Eddy Lloyd

Hope our genealogist Jan can help you cousin :)
My Mum Helen (Nellie) was Marys daughter.
Best of luck mate.
Bill fawcett

Hi daftapeth
As far as I can see Mary Deveney was born in Bootle according to the 1901 census (spelt Devaney). she lived with James Devaney (widower) and Kate at 260 Lyon Street, Bootle.
In 1911 she lived with sister Kate Boylan & husband at 6 Balliol Terrace Bootle.
I hope this is of some use

Cheers. Bill
Jan

Hi Daft Apeth,

This could be Mary's birth reg

Name: Mary Ann Deveney
Registration Year: 1896
Registration Quarter: Apr-May-Jun
Registration district: West Derby
Parishes for this Registration District: View Ecclesiastical Parishes associated with this Registration District
Inferred County: Lancashire
Volume: 8b
Page: 498

Jan
Old genealogists never die......they just lose their census.
Bill fawcett

The following are only suggestions for someone to investigate further.
Following Jans suggestion for Mary's birth (Mary Ann). There is a James Deveney & a Mary Ann Stephens on the same marriage page in 1884 in Ireland. Also as James is listed as a widower in 1901, there is a Mary Ann Deveney died in 1886 in Liverpool (possible during childbirth of Mary.

Bill
Jan

Hi Bill,

I think the birth reg I put above we can rule that out, I think that Mary Ann Deveney died in infancy.

Name: Mary Anne Deveny
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1896
Registration Year: 1896
Registration Quarter: Jul-Aug-Sep
Age at Death: 0
Registration district: West Derby
Parishes for this Registration District: View Ecclesiastical Parishes associated with this Registration District
Inferred County: Lancashire
Volume: 8b
Page: 304

Jan
Jan

I found this burial at Ford, the address 5 Balliol Terrace.

Name: Bridget Devaney
Birth Year: abt 1871
Death Year: abt 1899
Burial Date: 23 Feb 1899
Parish: Ford Cemetery, Lancashire, England

Jan
Daft Apeth

Many thanks to all of you, you've been a great (and prompt!) help and provided new leads for me to get my teeth into.

Best
J.F.G

HI there,
After moving house, having grandchildren and retiring, I have only just had time to come back onto the Bootle website, so sorry about not noticing your posting sooner !
my great grandmother was Catherine Deveney, she married Owen Boylan and had 10 children (several of whom died young) but my grandmother was Mary Boylan, their oldest daughter, who married Henry Fahy / Ralston.
We have tried searching for a birth for Catherine, but it is hard to confirm which is the correct Catherine Deveney born in Ireland at that date. It is nice to see that Mary Deveney was living with her sister and brother-in-law, in 1911, along with her nieces.
Catherine died, as you have discovered, in her youngest daughter, Teresa's house - 11 Rutland Street, Bootle. Teresa was 'Auntie Tess' (she married Tom Oakley, who survived her for many years) to us all, even though she was my mother, Emily's auntie, we were quite close to her.
Daft Apeth

J.F.G,

Magic, many thanks for the updates!!!