Canada Cold Stores - Brunswick Place.

Find Bootle friends and family here
misterbones

Just thinking about some of the guys I worked with at Canada Cold Stores in the early 1970's.

Dennis Kelly.
Mick Jones.
Eric Owen.
John Nesbitt.
Tat Murphy.

Anybody Know Them ?
Arthur
Drift

I worked there for 6 months on a YOP scheme about 1981, loading/ unloading butter (handball) bloody hard graft for £21 a week :lol:
Eric Owen was there, I saw him often around Bootle years later when I was on the buses, he worked for the council road sweeping.
John Nesbitt, I am not sure, he was not a scouser? seem to remember the name.
Also a tight arse called Jock (I think) the owner, dumpy cigar and jag car :lol:
You can't polish a tu@d but you can roll it in glitter ;-)
misterbones

Yes I remember the cases of butter 56 lb a go. I hated it when they weren't on pallets and you had to handball them all off.
The small bald guy was the manager John McIlroy, Better known as mac.
The owner was Dave Bertrum.
I worked there 1973 to 1977 - Great days :-)
Arthur
Drift

Mac thats it, close :lol:
It was a H&S nightmare there :lol: I was stuck in that lift once for 8 hours, when the door was opened I was told to pass the now thawing butter out, guess what I said :lol:
You can't polish a tu@d but you can roll it in glitter ;-)
scotty

Drift, I am guessing it would have been foxtrot, uniform, charlie, kilo, oscar, oscar, foxtrot :evil: :twisted:
All gave some
Some gave all
fatboyjoe90

Oh dear fancy saying that. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Cheers Joe.
misterbones

I used to operate the small electric lift to the chambers :-)

The small hydraulic lifts ( With rope ) a nightmare to get level :-(
Arthur
Everton1703

Hello Arthur its Tat Murphy great times we had working in the cold stores The summer of 76 sitting on the roof getting the sun in our dinner hour, I have seen Mick Jones a few times in betting shop at the Strand . I was lucky to drive the fork lift so had no chance of getting stuck in the lift I think little Teddy the engineer had his work cut out that day to repair the lift. Two other Bootle people who worked there Peter Winker Watson &Peter Dee. Kipper Lynch was always good for a laugh , we had to get past Ray Worthington to clock off early , Mac & Dave were good bosses really , we had some good nights after work in The Griffin mainly pay day Thursday
misterbones

Hello Tat my old mate,
Really nice to hear from you after all this time :-)
How's the family ?

Yes! really good days when I think back - We didn't want for much did we - Fur Boots / Superb Coats & Bottoms, Balaclava, Gloves etc. ( Not to mention the freebies )

I still miss my Turkey every Christmas. Do you remember when we were given all the broken cases of stuff from Snowfields chamber ( All the birds eye Gear ).

Dave & John were great bosses they gave us a load of dosh every Christmas for our night out.... Remember when I was in charge of the shorts tab on that night out ? No single drinks for us ha ha !

I went to work in Fords in Halewood in 1979 ( Loads of Dosh ) You'll never guess who was working there - Kipper Lynch & Phil Quinn :-) I took the redundancy and a cheque for 7 Grand the end of 1984 :-)

I've been living in Southport for just under 30 years now - how time flies !

Anyway mate, I still remember you as a top guy ( Except when playing football on the top floor you dirty b-----d ) :-)

Take Care - Wishing only good things for you and the family.

Arthur

( I won't mention the trophies we've won since I last had a drink with you ..... but It's bloody epic ! )

Come On You Reds !
Arthur
Mick Larkin

I worked for Fro Containers 71/72 it was originally AJ Harvey they were a Bristol based poultry firm and stored Moy Park chickens in Canada cold stores we shared the offices upstairs and I ended up working in the transport office
Can you remember Jock the security officer ? He was an ex Liverpool copper and he used to go up to Esk St police station
and spy on the workers with a pair of binoculars from a upstairs room
john james ingham

hey mick is that you from malta rd if so get in touch,
born bank rd off strand rd.
Mick Larkin

John Ingham I have sent you 2 private messages with my phone number
fatboyjoe90

Welcome to the site Mick, the last time I spoke to you was at Sutton Manor coal mine 1991-ish. :) :wink:
Cheers Joe.
fatboyjoe90

Thanks for your PM Mick. :wink:
Cheers Joe.
Everton1703

Ok Arthur just when I had put them hurting days at the back of my mind you had to remind me in your last sentence. As for Kipper and Phil that night out we had what Phil organised and we went to Blackburn, think Mudd or Showaddywaddy were on we had a scream , brown mixed was dead cheap then. It was fridge number 2 that had all the Butlins things in Jeff Rolo looked after that ,the firm was Snow King. Tommy Doyle was on lift 1 ( easy electric lift) think Tommy had fought everyone in Liverpool. Seen Frank McKenna couple of times in Walton over the bygone years and Gerry Kenny in the Pacific in Bootle. After my dad died and we were clearing the house out I found a picture that you had taken and developed in the canteen you were always a keen photographer. It used to be mad on a Friday after going out on a Thursday then in our break / dinner we would play cards , Shoot !!! you had to have bottle to play that. Hopefully Blues will win cup this year, still waiting for another summer like 76 my god 40yrs
Bye for now Tat