Lucy Wrigley

Find Bootle friends and family here
marknjen

Hi you clever lot, I've been at this brick wall for months now and have given in and have to ask for your help and skills please!
I'm doing Jens family tree, I'm stuck at Lucy Wrigley brn lpool about 1848, now this is where the fun starts, I THINK, she was married to a Warriner Wrigley and had a son called William Warriner Wrigley, I have evidence for this, but I can't find a marriage I just have baptism of William with parents name as Warriner Wrigley and Lucy. Later Lucy marries a William Eaton/Heaton and her father is down as yes you guessed it William Wrigley? I'll post what I've collected so far to give you

About 3down William Eaton, Lucy Eaton and I'm sure that's William Wrigley down as relative not step son!

Closer viewing

So I'm trying to find more info on Lucy and more importantly Warriner ! He could possibly be William Warriner Wrigley snr, but how could a Wrigley marry a Wrigley? Over to you clever lot! Can you can help me please?

Cheers Mark
marknjen

I don't know if this has any bearings on things, Lucy's dads name is different plus their in Manchester?

marknjen

marknjen wrote:Hi you clever lot, I've been at this brick wall for months now and have given in and have to ask for your help and skills please!
I'm doing Jens family tree, I'm stuck at Lucy Wrigley brn lpool about 1848, now this is where the fun starts, I THINK, she was married to a Warriner Wrigley and had a son called William Warriner Wrigley, I have evidence for this, but I can't find a marriage I just have baptism of William with parents name as Warriner Wrigley and Lucy. Later Lucy marries a William Eaton/Heaton but she is spinster not widow and her father is down as yes you guessed it William Wrigley? I'll post what I've collected so far to give you

About 3down William Eaton, Lucy Eaton and I'm sure that's William Wrigley down as relative not step son!

Closer viewing

So I'm trying to find more info on Lucy and more importantly Warriner ! He could possibly be William Warriner Wrigley snr, but how could a Wrigley marry a Wrigley? Over to you clever lot! Can you can help me please?

Cheers Mark
Jan

Hi Mark,

Lucy's birth reg

Name: Lucy Wrigley
Registration Year: 1846
Registration Quarter: Jul-Aug-Sep
Registration district: Liverpool
Parishes for this Registration District: View Ecclesiastical Parishes associated with this Registration District
Inferred County: Lancashire
Volume: 20
Page: 536

Her mother was Mary Hallwood, previously married name Caddick.

I think the Warriner is just her son's name, perhaps the Warriner was put as father's name as a mistake on the baptism.

here is her parents marriage 1844 (8th Sept)

Surname Forename(s) Surname Forename(s) Church / Register Office Registers At Reference
CADDICK Mary WRIGLEY William Liverpool, St. Philip Liverpool 2123LP/6/24
HALLWOOD Mary WRIGLEY William Liverpool, St. Philip Liverpool 2123LP/6/24
WRIGLEY William CADDICK Mary Liverpool, St. Philip Liverpool 2123LP/6/24
WRIGLEY William HALLWOOD Mary Liverpool, St. Philip Liverpool 2123LP/6/24

The marriage is on ancestry, it says that Mary Caddick was a widow and her maiden name was Hallwood. Her father is listed as Thomas Hallwood.

Jan
Old genealogists never die......they just lose their census.
Jan

Mark,

There is no father's name on William Warriner Wrigley's baptism.

Here is his birth reg

Name: William Warriner Wrigley
Registration Year: 1867
Registration Quarter: Jan-Feb-Mar
Registration district: Liverpool
Parishes for this Registration District: View Ecclesiastical Parishes associated with this Registration District
Inferred County: Lancashire
Volume: 8b
Page: 245

His baptism on ancestry (actual image) only gives his mother's name as Lucy Wrigley.

Name: William Warriner Wrigley
Birth Date: 20 Feb 1867
Baptism Date: 20 Oct 1867
Baptism Place: Saint Peter,Liverpool,Lancashire,England
Mother: Lucy Wrigley

Lucy didn't marry until 1871.

Jan
marknjen

Thanks Jan, I was just wondering where Warriner came into the family name? There are two William Warriner Wrigley's in the tree and the name goes as far as jens dads cousin who is Richard Warriner Wrigley, I just thought that maybe William born in 1867 father maybe named Warriner you see,even tho Lucy didn't actually marry till 1871 to William Eaton/heaton. So Lucy had William Warriner out of marrige then? Anyway of finding the father? So because Lucy didn't marry williams father she just kept it as William Warriner Wrigley!
Thanks again Jan xx
marknjen

I'm bit lost re Lucy's parents, her dad is William Wrigley he married Mary caddick maiden name hallwood, but you've sent me William Wrigley marrying both a caddick and a hallwood, apologies if I've missed something obvious but I really don't understand lol? :oops: good job I'm bald now lol xx
marknjen

Think I've got it Mary Hallwood married James caddick, he dies so Mary marries William Wrigley hence why her father is down as Hallwood! Just didn't get the bit you sent William Wrigley marry Mary Hallwood X
marknjen

But Lucy is definitely William Wrigley's, x
marknjen

Is there anyway of finding William warriner Wrigley's father? :shock:
Thanks X
Mark
Jan

Hi Mark,

If the father isn't named on his birth cert or marriage cert, then there would be no way of knowing who his father was.

Jan
marknjen

Thanks Jan X
Is there a hint or tip you genies use when researching I hate having to ask every time I get a brick wall!
I'm stuck at Lucy's father William from Rochdale now ! :roll:
Thanks
Mark
lily8

Hi Mark as Jan has stated it would be nigh on impossible to determine the father but it would be likely that it was a Warriner as was the case in those days rather than name the child with the fathers surname(for whatever reason) it was often used as a second christian name.
Lily
lily8

I believe this is lucy and her parents William Wrigleys' occupation was paperhanger and he was born in Rochdale. Will see if I can find him earlier on

1861 census
Name:
Lucy Wrigley

Estimated Birth Year:

Relation:
Daughter

Father's name:
Wm Wrigley

Mother's name:
Mary Wrigley

Where born:
L'pool, Lancashire, England

Household Members:

Name

Wm Wrigley 37
Mary Wrigley 46
Lucy Wrigley 14
Hugh Bolton 28
Hugh Bolton 7
Lily
marknjen

Thanks lily, I was thinking this was possibly them tooin 1861,however in 1871 census, William paper hanger born Rochdale, but Lucy dinn teacher of music born London has put me off, :? Maybe Lucy is with husband William heaton/Easton by now ? Thanks again

marknjen

marknjen wrote:Thanks lily, I was thinking this was possibly them tooin 1861,however in 1881 census, William paper hanger born Rochdale, but Lucy dinn teacher of music born London has put me off, :? Could be same William with different Lucy Maybe our Lucy is with husband William heaton/Easton by now ? Thanks again

marknjen

Just remembered Lucy is with husband William heaton and young William wrigley in 1871, so I'll look for Lucy's dad William in 1871, I don't think it's same William in 1881 (as above) as the age difference is different too between him and his wife from 1861.
marknjen

Here's Williams marriage to Mary caddick, can't make out his occupation paper something? However his father is John wrigley! Can't make out his occupation either hahaha?

Jan

Hi Mark,

William's occupation is paper hanger, his father's occupation painter. Mary's father's occupation book keeper.

Jan
marknjen

Thanks Jan, with William being paper hanger do you think it's the same William as in 1881 census with Lucy coming from London? Also could this below be William and his parents? It's near Rochdale ?

marknjen

What you think lily and Jan could it be the same William paper hanger in both census? I'm thinking maybe the Lucy the music teacher from London has married into the Wriggley family? Also could I ask for some help with William further back? I know his father was John Wrigley so I hoping I'm on right track with the above from family search website :oops: I'll try trace a Lucy coming into the family from London too,possible maiden dinn or dimm, thanks in advance for any help from you ladies or anyone else that finds anything,
Mark xx
marknjen

No trace of Lucy dinn coming into my Wrigley tree, however there is this Lucy dinn/Wrigley though!
Don't think it's my lot! Have I made huge mistake somewhere!?

marknjen

Just read the above tree and I think it's him who's made mistakes! He's just added for name sake! No concrete match ups at all? When you click on William Alfred Wrigley he's born in bury? And there's no census no bmds, no nothing! Still doesn't help me tho with my William? :roll: must be coincindence that they both paper hangers
lily8

Hi again no I discounted the Lucy Dinn one as the pobs are incorrect we now have to find him in an earlier census still working on that as to incorrect spellings etc.
Lily
marknjen

Thanks lily xx
lily8

Hi again after a big search and trying lots of spellings I think I have found them in 1861 listed as WRIGHT!!!!!!! I think the Craddick stepdaughter makes it so Occupation of William is a paper hanger and place of birth is Rochdale have a look at the original on Ancestry and let me know what you think

William Wright

Estimated Birth Year:
abt 1824

Relation:
Head

Spouse's Name:
Mary Wright

Where born:
Rochdale, Lancashire, England

Civil Parish:
Liverpool

Town:
Liverpool

County/Island:
Lancashire

England

Street address:

Condition as to marriage:

Disability:

View image

Registration district:
Liverpool

Sub-registration district:
Mount Pleasant

ED, institution, or vessel:
1c

Neighbors:
View others on page

Household schedule number:

Piece:

Folio:

Page Number:

Household Members:

Name

William Wright 27
Mary Wright 42
Lucy Wright 4
Ellen Cuddisk 12 Note this is actually Cuddick on the original
Mary Butterworth 42
Mary Cuddisk 10 Note this is actually Cuddick on the original
Kate Cuddisk 14 Note this is actually Cuddick on the original
John Butterworth 12
Mary Butterworth 42

Save 
Lily
marknjen

Thanks lily,
I can't find this at all on ancestry? You sure it's 1861?
Thanks
Mark x
marknjen

Hi lily, found them in 1851, I'm not sure if this our lot? Williams age difference is quite large to Mary, it definitely says Wright on the census, and cuddick? I just don't know ? What do you thinks Jan? Great find by the way lily, thankyou very very much for your hard work and time xxx
marknjen

Hi I think I've found Willam in 1841 with father John and possibly grandparent too, top right hand side, poss williams aunty Betty Wrigley 45, grandma Elizabeth 73, John dad 35,Mary mum 30,brother James 5? Would mean williams mam was 15?

lily8

marknjen wrote:Thanks lily,
I can't find this at all on ancestry? You sure it's 1861?
Thanks
Mark x
OOps should have read 1851
Lily
lily8

marknjen wrote:Hi I think I've found Willam in 1841 with father John and possibly grandparent too, top right hand side, poss williams aunty Betty Wrigley 45, grandma Elizabeth 73, John dad 35,Mary mum 30,brother James 5? Would mean williams mam was 15?

Hi again 1841 census is confusing as to ages as there was a 5 year rounding on most of them, I am fairly certain that the one found 1851 is the correct family as we often see so many misspellings and age differences I will have a look at the 1841 and get back to you.
Lily
lily8

Hi the problem we have is two men of the same name and occupation so we need to trace the right one or eliminate the wrong one, another problem could be that there is also a Rochdale in Yorkshire and the Wrigley name is very popular there. Though the census says Lancashire that could be in error so it's a bit of a trial and error going back and forth on both men.
Lily
marknjen

Hi lily, I'm going with you then,you know your stuff when it comes to ancestry :wink:
Thank you ever so much for your time and help re this lot hahahahaha
Mark x