William Archbald Collict 1886 -1943

Find Bootle friends and family here
Marie Tiree

Hi All, Haven't been on the site for a couple of years. Took a rest from researching my family tree. I have been contacted by a distant family member in Cornwall and she has sparked my interest again.
I am trying to find the family of William Archibald Collict, he moved to Bootle from Redruth Cornwall about 1918 and married a Warner, (would like to find her name and any details of her family) they had 4 Children, Phyllis E Collict, Archibald Collict, Jeffrey Collict and Doreen Collict from 1918 onwards. They were all born in Bootle and I know William died in Bootle

I have search ancestry but can't find them. Don't know why but the Liverpool catholic births, marriage etc seemed to have gone missing from Ancestry and that's were I used to get all my information from

Just don't know what I am doing wrong. I must be rusty.

Can you "Genies" out there help
Born in Knowsley Road, went to St Joan of Arc; moved to Netherton. Now living in Stourport on Severn, Worcestershire
lily8

I just had a quick look and the only marriage I can find at this stage was in redruth Cornwall

Marriages Mar 1908 (>99%)

COLLICT William Archibald Redruth 5c 310
Colliot William Archibald Redruth 5c 310
GILBERT Elizabeth Frances Redruth 5c 310
THOMAS William Henry Redruth 5c 310
Whitford Caroline Redruth 5c 310
Lily
Marie Tiree

Hi Lilly8.
Yes he married in Cornwall moved to Bootle to find work. His wife and children followed him in about 1918, however he had started a knew relationship and started having children, one of them being my uncle. The new children all took his name (as mentioned previously), so I was hoping he married their mother. Can't even find the children. I know for definite my Uncle Jeffrey was a Collict???
Born in Knowsley Road, went to St Joan of Arc; moved to Netherton. Now living in Stourport on Severn, Worcestershire
lily8

Hi Marie it looks like the second relationship was de facto but there are a few Collict marriages listed in Bootle and Crosby in later years, will chase them up back later.
Lily
lily8

Hi Again Marie I found three of them Collict Father and Warner Mother

Births Mar 1920
Collict Archibald Warner West Derby 8b 921
Collict Jeffrey Warner West Derby 8b 921

Births Dec 1921
Collict Doreen Warner W.Derby 8b 663
Lily
lily8

Located Phyllis Birth

Phyllis E Collict

Mother's Maiden Surname:
Warner

Date of Registration:
Jan-Feb-Mar 1918

Registration district:
West Derby

Inferred County:
Lancashire

Volume Number:
8b

Page Number:
Lily
Marie Tiree

Lilly8 this is all great stuff, thanks. Look forward to anything else you can find.

What does defacto mean???
lily8

Marie it is a what is called an outside the law or common law marriage.
Lily
Marie Tiree

OK thanks, does that mean the children still take their fathers name?
lily8

If he was named the father on the birth certificates yes that would be correct.
Lily
lily8

Have a look at public trees on Ancestry.com name KEARN 54 it should be most helpful in your research as it lists both relationships.
Lily
Marie Tiree

Just realised from your post that my Uncle Jeffrey had a twin, Archibald. He never mentioned him, I wonder if he died in childhood.

Another bit of the mystery to research :)

William had children with his "first" wife and I can find lots of information on them. He must have gone back to her as one of their children was born in 1923, 2 years after his last child Doreen with his common law wife or........... he was with them both. What a b**stard. We will never know
lily8

Yes Marie I should have mentioned the twin :oops: from nearly a 100 years on it is hard to know the circumstances of what happened with the 1921 census not available until 2022 it is hard to speculate, for we know he may have been a great father!. A copy of his death cert may shed some light via who reported the death and at what address.
Lily
lily8

By the way the father William Archibald was in the Royal Navy (limited details on Anc.com)
Lily
Marie Tiree

Thanks again x
:o