looking for info on Grandad war record

Find Bootle friends and family here
bootlebug

Hi
Have just found this site and been looking on ancestry site but without Regt. number it is near impossible to go any further. All I know is that he was born 1898 and finished as a LCpl. Because he died in the 1930's and was buried in Bootle cemetery I never met him. I grew up in Mona Street and my grandmother lived in Mary Road with my uncle Dave Wilson. The reason I am so interested is that his name is the same as mine - Edward Wilson. Any help in showing me how to procede would be gratefully received.
Eddy (bootlebug)
Thommos sister

Welcome aboard Eddy, you have come to the right place, lots of genies will be able to help.
I hope you meet some others who remember your family.
Best wishes
T.S :D
Thommos sister

Lo tis me again Eddy, the photos on Anc have been posted by yourself right?
Cheers
T.S
BOBHAMO

first one avon street ,2nd mona street
welcome eddy :D :D :D
bobhamo
bootle born altcar road
lily8

Hi Bootlebug sadly so very few WW1 records survived the Blitz in WW2 and to find rellies war records can be extremely difficult the best bet is to try the MIC cards on Ancestry.com it will take some time but he should be listed if he served in WW1. I will have a look tomorrow and see if anything jumps out, are you positive he served in WW1 and not post war??

Cheers
Lily
ALAMO2008

bootlebug wrote:Hi
Have just found this site and been looking on ancestry site but without Regt. number it is near impossible to go any further. All I know is that he was born 1898 and finished as a LCpl. Because he died in the 1930's and was buried in Bootle cemetery I never met him. I grew up in Mona Street and my grandmother lived in Mary Road with my uncle Dave Wilson. The reason I am so interested is that his name is the same as mine - Edward Wilson. Any help in showing me how to procede would be gratefully received.
Eddy (bootlebug)

Was only looking at Bootle Cemetery Burial Records yesterday afternoon at Thornton Cemetery
They are in Alpha order then Date Order of Burial and run from 01st January 1912 to 31st December 1999 So would be easy to find E Wilson in 1930's
If only I had seen your post. May been up in Liverpool there again in a few weeks, will make a note.
OR you could email helpful lady there and explain your researching Family History and she will look up records.
Email:- thornton.gardenofrest@sefton.gov.uk
ALAMO2008

Born in 1898 Edward would have been 16 or so when WW1 broke out. Many Liverpool lads automatically joined The Liverpool Kings Regt.
The Liverpool Museum of Liverpool Life based at the Pier Head has upstairs an area devoted to "The Kings Regt of Liverpool" in the display below the Medals Tower is a Touch screen Database for you to find any relative by Surname if the served in The Kings, that will provide you with a Service Number and perhaps photo and more info as I found in my Granddads case (Samuel Chapman MM)
You can remotely online see if he is on the database via this link :- http://www.liverpoolmuseums.org.uk/mol/ ... /kingsreg/

I found 2 Edward Wilsons only - Full Initials EWJ Wilson 073337 and ECC Wilson 235052 both Privates at time of the War
but he may have stayed on a while to become L/Cpl

The 073337 is a very early 1914 number if he was a keen youngster, it could be him.

The Museum Database may show more at the premises now armed with the Service Number.

A bloke in America looks after this Deveraux Database- sent him a photo of my Granddad and more info to include not sure if he has yet, not been back to Museum to check.

klr_familyhistory@yahoo.co.uk
Thommos sister

This is a photo off Ancestry taken in 1917, they have his birth as 1898 and death in 14.1 1938 Bootle. Also a photo of the headstone.
He married a Welsh lass in Brecon in 1918.
T.S

lily8

Just a thought if he married 1918 then possibly still a soldier a copy of the marriage cert may contain more information.
Lily