Looking for information on William Jackson

Find Bootle friends and family here
Little Queen

Hello everyone. I've posted this before many years ago and continued with my research into my Grandfather. I was born in Bootle and brought up in my childhood behind our shop on the corner of Southey Street and Peel Road. I went to Salisbury Rd school and Gray street, my best friend was Brenda Kimpton and Keith Abernathy from Cowper Street and Keats Street respectively. Anyway digressing - The shop was Jacksons. It would be called a grocers or general store now. Run by mum Hilda Nee Jackson , now Parr but owned by her dad William Jackson and mum Ada Jackson who ran the shop. They ran the shop until it was sold in the mid 60's when we moved from the area. My grandad had already left in 1938 and went to live in Southampton with a new lady in his life ( a long story. He was injured on the docks and met her whilst she was nursing him, I'm presuming Bootle hospital but it could have been Fazakerley).
I have census results and birth/marriage /death certificates ( he wasn't married to his second 'wife' she just called herself Jackson and registered her children with Jackson as her maiden AND married name. I can't seem to find anything else about him. I know this is a long shot but is there someone out there who has a vague recollection of the shop or my family or even me ? I was Carol Parr when I lived in Bootle. Would love to know if anyone remembers anything about my grandad or our family from that time.
I have vivid memories of playing in Peel Rd Park and in the street, as we all did around the lamp on a rope. Thanks for reading and I will try and post a picture of my grandad as a young man. In the Navy
phpBB [video]
[/video]
lily8

Good luck with your search I hope someone can help
Lily
Little Queen

Thank you Lily. We are going to Australia next year and no doubt visit where our Auntie Annie ( grandads sister we think) used to live in Kingsgrove Sydney. She will have long since passed away and I know I have relatives there but difficult to trace with so little information about my Grandfather ( he wasn't mentioned at home because he ran off with his new lady !) Thanks for your kind message x
lily8

Hi again if I can help with any research in Australia please ask it would be a pleasure :D
Lily
Little Queen

Hi Lily

That's very kind of you but I really don't have a great deal of information to go on. I only have the name Bailey ( auntie Annie's surname, but don't even know if she was really grandads sister as he didn't have a sister called Anne , only Alice who married a man with a different name) They lived in Kingsgrove in Sydney in the 60's and 70's . The only thing we do know is that they emigrated. Not very helpful but will try some more research and get back to you if I may. Thank you again for your very kind offer
Carol
Shelagh

Hello, little queen! Couldn't believe it when I saw the post on forum, re, Jackson's shop, was just about to enquire about that little shop, my mother used to do all her weekly shop there, brings back many fond memories, I'm talking about the fifties, all my mums grocery orders would be delivered by the order boy, he'd cycle down the entry, and then up our back yard to the room where cooking get's done (not allowed to say the k word on this site) (spam), my mother often took me to that shop, but at the time, the man who ran the shop was known as "Jimmy Jackson" he was a happy, chappy, alway's laughing and joking, the housewives loved him, and everyone knew the name "Jimmy Jackson" it's confusing I know! But that was the only name Used in connection to the shop, it was alway's known as "Jimmy Jackson's"
corner of "Southey street" on "Peel Road" he did a roaring trade, alway's busy, My dad used to say "it was a little gold mine". I'm wondering if the name "Jimmy" was a nick name or a second name perhap's, But I do know, the shop was, at that time, alway's referred to as either "Jackson's" or "Jimmy Jackson's" ( I can remember very clearly what he looked like, and the white overall he wore. Such a coincidence, have just recently replied to a post, someone looking for a family, who also had a connection to the very same shop, corner of Southey street, they are a different family altogether, but nevertheless, the same shop, probably about the early sixties, I think this family could possibly have been the next purchasers of the "Jackson's shop" and as the family lived just across the road, there's a very strong chance, they already knew each other. Sad to say, the second owner's have since passed. There maybe some historical records stored away somewhere, it would be lovely to know the history of the shop and the Jackson's, if there are any discoveries, would love to hear, take care! Shelagh x
Little Queen

Hello Shelagh, this is fantastic news. Thank you so much for posting this. I will explain how it all fits in. My Grandfather William Jackson owned the shop with his wife Ada. He left my grandmother in 1938. They had two children, my mother Hilda and her brother James Albert (Jimmy). Jimmy was about 20 when William left and my mother was 9 ( we never knew why there was such a gap other than William was a Merchant Navy Officer and was probably away at sea a great deal during WW1 and afterwards ). Jimmy took over the running of the shop from then on and although I never knew him he was quite a character. He was married for a few years to Doreen Holden from the Holden butcher family on Marsh Lane, sadly that never worked out. My mother married Jimmys best friend from the Navy in 1953 ( my dad Ernie) and I was born in 1955. In 1956 William my grandfather died of a brain haemorrhage in Southampton. He had two more little girls who were only 10 and 13, my mothers half sisters and my aunts. Tragically Jimmy died suddenly of the same thing in 1957 and it fell to my mother and grandmother to run the shop. Jimmy was no doubt popular because he gave a lot of groceries ' on the slate' . After his death my grandmother tried to recover these debts from people but some of them ( who owed a lot) refused to pay and as a result mum and dad gave up their flat in Litherland and moved in behind the shop which I remember as being pretty primitive as I was growing up. We lived there until 1963 with my nan and mum running the shop, Dad worked at Johnsons timber yard in Bootle. I went to Salisbury Rd and Gray St Schools. The people who bought the shop didn't live across the road though. I seem to remember that he was a lorry driver. I don't think they were from Bootle so maybe it was us this person was looking for ? My mum and dad were Parr and we all lived there from when I was a baby until 8 years old, my sister was 10 . I would love to know more about the people who were searching for the owners if you could help ? I am trying to piece my Grandfathers life together. There are big gaps between 1917 and 1938 mainly, he was one of a large family from Walton around Trevelyan Street and my nan was from Breeze Hill. Would love to hear more Shelagh. Please get in touch again. Thank you so much x
BOBHAMO

B Morton grocer 160 peel road 1968
Mrs Ada Jackson 1962, 1949
William Jackson 1938
Mrs Mary Biggins 1911
bobhamo
bootle born altcar road
Little Queen

Thank you bohomo for the information. It does help with the picture. I wonder what was significant about 1949 for my nan, she had the shop when her husband William left in 1938 .
Thanks again
Carol
BOBHAMO

1949 is one of the directories i have :D :D :D
bobhamo
bootle born altcar road
Little Queen

Ah right , thank you Bohamo. Many gap put memories of late fifties early sixties, Peel Road, Haycocks butchers, Elsie's sweet shop next door, the library, the laundry. All gone now sadly :|
Shelagh

Hello again, little queen! so glad you were able to glean a little information from my recollection of those day's, sorry I couldn't be of more help. The person who was searching for her aunt is the great granddaughter of the "Morgan" family who lived in Scott street, early fifties, (they were alway's shopkeeper's) used to run a shop from their front parlour in Scott Street, I have a feeling these were the people who may have purchased your shop in early sixties, I did speak to a member of the Morgan family, when she was running your old shop, at that time.I'm wondering if the name could have been misprinted on the list of owner's, the name "B. MORCAN" Could possibly have been "B. MORGAN" which would make sense, but I could be mistaken! or if not, perhaps shop was regestered in her married name, not too sure,, I will just say, the person who is looking for member's of the "Morgan" family is on this site under the same heading, (looking for MORGAN FAMILY) a coincidence if it turns out to be the same shop, think I shall have to dig further little queen! I hate mysteries Ha) Hope you manage to get the information you need, once again, sorry I couldn't help more and about your uncle Jimmy, had no idea he passed away at such a young age, very sad! I do remember Doreen Holden from shop on "Marsh Lane" always had the heavy make up troweled on haha): shall look forward to your post, should there be any developments.x
Last edited by Shelagh on Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shelagh

Sorry my mistake name should have been spelt MORTON as on list not MORCAN)
Little Queen

Hi Shelagh,
Thank you so much for all this information, it really does bring back my memories of when we sold the shop. I can remember being outside playing in the street on the lamp post in Southey Street when the new owners called. The man parked his flat back lorry outside the house in Southey Street and all the kids were climbing all over it. We didn't have anyone in the street with a car in 62/63 so it was quite an occasion ha ha. I will take a look at the Morgan family thread. Thanks again for your memories which have really helped me. Especially talking about Uncle Jimmy who I would dearly love to have known. All the best Carol x
efc46

hi I lived in 75 balfour road every one did their shopping at Jimmy Jacksons I used take the empty strerry milk bottles put them in crate and Jimmy would say if I had 2 i would say 3 penny a bottle good lark Any way Jimmy caught me fibbin
he said: "come here I will cut your ears off" I legged it a few days later all was forgiven I remember when he died we were all sad/ Davey
Davey Rowlands Bootle
Little Queen

Ah that's a lovely memory Davey. I wish I'd known him, everyone seemed to like him. Do you remember my nan who took over the shop ? Ada ? When Jimmy died we moved in behind the shop . Mum dad nan and us two babies :lol:
efc46

I remember the shops in peel road starting from salisbury road end hairdressers(Betty porter lived above) Jones,s sweet shop Bobs pet food Johnstons chippy cnr scotts street Scotts Cosstellos/and the cobblers back on the other
side Johnstons milners jimmy Jacksons another sewing shop /fruit shop/ tommy Macs( Tommy lived in scotts street ) another chippy /Aunt sally shop/ opposite again general store/Ice creamshop(Mrs Mott and Mr Mott an snooker upstairs memories start to fade Co-Op(Pinningtons lived above) used to live opposite Jimmy Jacksons /library/bag wash/ opposite newspaper shop (sold matchbox cars 1/9) I dont think the shops are all in order I hope this brings a memory or two / Davey
Davey Rowlands Bootle
Little Queen

Thanks Davey, it certainly does bring back some of my earliest memories of late 50's and early 60's as a small child. I remember the bag wash and the library on the same side as our shop ( Jacksons) the sweet shop (Elsie's ?) haycocks butchers and the chippy the other way where we used to get a four penny bag of chips. I remember standing on something like a railway sleeper so I could reach the counter and we kids were always given a hot chip wrapped in newspaper round the end whilst we waited for our order. I remember a lady at a shop opposite there. It may have been the sewing shop. She was called Rita and another lady at the hairdressers who used to cut our hair when me mum could afford it, otherwise she just used to cut it herself with her dressmaking scissors ! I remember being at Salisbury Rd nursery before going to school when I was four. They used to make us have a sleep on camp beds every morning and if you weren't asleep or made a noise they whacked you with a table tennis bat . I can remember some of the teachers, Miss Spense, Mrs Roose and Miss Turner. I still don't know how to put the photo on this thread though. Leslie Woodward , Keith Abernathy, Brenda Kimpton, and Susan Hole were all in my class.
Shelagh

Hello to Carol and Davey, you've both managed to bring back some memories of growing up in fifties and early sixties, around that area, what great shops we had, used to go to that chippy by Salisbury road to ask "any crispy's please" (over fried bits of batter), remember too, Rita's wool shop at top of Scott Street, the opposite corner was the photographers on Spenser street, only time I ever went into that shop, was "first holy communion day" such a fuss made of the girls that day, (not so much the boys). A couple of other places mentioned, was the bag wash!! o.m.g. didn't mind taking the bundle of washing up there, but bringing it back was a nightmare, still very damp, so weighed a ton.
Loved the tuck shop, "Mrs Motts" that shop served as everything for us kids, it was a place to keep warm in winter, (remember the hot drinks, oxo's and cordials) and it was a place to keep cool in summer, ice cream dropped in lemonade springs to mind!
We also used the room upstairs for tap dancing) what a laugh that was,, us young dancers entertained many an institution of old folks around the area, all in the name of charity of course! all good memories. Best Wishes From a Shelagh K. X
carly948

It was probably B.Morgan (Bernard Morgan) I am his great grand daughter
Little Queen

Hi Carly
Have you managed to get any further with your search ? It looks like it was your great grandfather that bought the shop from my mother in the early 60's
Best of luck
Carol
Holdens91

Shelagh wrote: I do remember Doreen Holden from shop on "Marsh Lane" always had the heavy make up troweled on haha): shall look forward to your post, should there be any developments.x
Just signed up to this to discover ALOT of talk about my late Grandad's butcher's (which my late Great Aunty Doreen lived at :) ) Thank you for remembering her! When I was a kid (in the 90s) we used to visit her house to feed her two (really vicious) Siamese cats. Loving reading all the posts and snippets about my family. So sad that all the older generation have all completely gone, now only memories last to which I really would like to gather for myself!!
filsgreen

Welcome to the forum, Holdens. :D