Maureen MacDonald

Find Bootle friends and family here
BootleNY

I'm posting this again for about the 90th time... I'm still looking for Maureen It's very important that I find her. I've been looking since around 1969. The last i heard she may have been living in Croxteth. She used to live on Queens rd next to Kitty's chippy. I think the house number was #10 She went to Balliol rd school She worked in Vernon's. The last i heard she worked in the tax building on Merton Rd. She has a sister Linda a brother Donald, a sister Carol [she has twins] and a son Paul. The problem is I don't know who she married [around 1969] so I don't know her married name. any leeds would be appreciated. Thanks
Colette

Hi theres a marriage April-June 1969 Maureen McDonald - Sidney Jones Liverpool North.. ref no 10d 252.

In my 1962 Liverpool Directory Donald McDonald address 16 Queens Rd next door at no 18 Peter Carrol fried Fish Dealer...

If it is her marriage Jones is gonna be a hard one to track down.

Regards Colette
BootleNY

It is her. I have sent for the Marriage certificate. I had all the same info Except I didn't have those addresses. You just confirmed that it is her. I didn't need to send for the marriage certificate after all. I should have just waited for you ! The problem is I have close relatives and distant relatives on both sides that are the Jones' Oh Boy !!!! Well thank you Collette for narrowing my search. It should be a lot easier now. CHRIS
Colette

Hi if she marry Sidney Jones.. maybe you could ask someone if they have access to the electoral roll to see if Sidney and Maureen are listed..

Colette
Pamsy

Chris, I hope you find Maureen as I have seen her name all over the internet,someone looking for her....ha...this happened to me years ago and I sent an email, before a computer I wrote a letter, to Billy Butler and he read it on the air.....my Maureen (Murray) was at work and the radio was on and heard her name...it was wonderful...so try the media also....good luck
PAM KEEGAN BENICH
Keegan, Carruthers, Rigg, Copland, Lobb, Hough, Mee
born in Bootle
barbarajackson

BootleNY wrote:I'm posting this again for about the 90th time... I'm still looking for Maureen It's very important that I find her. I've been looking since around 1969. The last i heard she may have been living in Croxteth. She used to live on Queens rd next to Kitty's chippy. I think the house number was #10 She went to Balliol rd school She worked in Vernon's. The last i heard she worked in the tax building on Merton Rd. She has a sister Linda a brother Donald, a sister Carol [she has twins] and a son Paul. The problem is I don't know who she married [around 1969] so I don't know her married name. any leeds would be appreciated. Thanks
Hi Barbara here, was Maureen MacDonald any relation to Vera Macdonald who lived in Bianca Street? I always remember Vera getting up and singing in those "Festival of Britain" street parties that are shown on BB
My mother made the buntings shown on the photo's. I have some photos of that time, showing different neighbours on them. Ernie says he will pass them on to Peter to show on BB. I'm glad you managed to get the info you wanted. You reminded me of what the chippy was called at the bottom of Bianca street. (Kittys) thanks!
hi_m88

Colette wrote:Hi theres a marriage April-June 1969 Maureen McDonald - Sidney Jones Liverpool North.. ref no 10d 252.

In my 1962 Liverpool Directory Donald McDonald address 16 Queens Rd next door at no 18 Peter Carrol fried Fish Dealer...

If it is her marriage Jones is gonna be a hard one to track down.

Regards Colette
Colette - are the Liverpool directories on-line? If so, how far do they go back and what is the URL? I am doing family research and just found out that my family is from Bootle so I would like to do more digging. Any assistance is appreciated.

Thanks,

Darlene
Jan

:D

Hi Darlene,

only a few of Liverpool Directories are online, round about 1900 and 1895 I think, but some members of the site have directories that are available on CD, I have 1894, 1911, 1914 and 1938, I think Colette has an original Book form directory.

Here is the link http://www.historicaldirectories.org/hd/index.asp

Give us some names and occupations and years to look for for your ancestors and we will try to help.

Most directories are available on microfilm at Liverpool Records Office or Crosby Library. But seeing you are in Canada that is not much help to you.

Jan
hi_m88

Jan, thank you very much for your response and offer of assistance.

I am looking for the Lawries. My great-great-grandfather was named Alexander Lawrie. He was born and grew up in Bootle. His father's name was Charles Lawrie. Charles was born in Scotland.

I have five addresses for the family:

1. Jessie Lawrie (Alexander Lawrie's wife) was listed living at 10 Berry Street on the 1891 Census.

2. Charles Lawrie was listed as living at 21 Berry Street on the 1891 Census.

3. My grand-father (John Alexander Lawrie) was born at 4 Conway Street in Seaforth Village in 1893. I am not sure that Alexander Lawrie would be listed at this address but Jessie Lawrie would be (Alexander was with the Merchant Marine Service so most records are in his wife's name (Jessie Lawrie)). I would be interested to find any reference to Jessie's maiden name. I doubt the directory would have this detail but I am running out of places to look. I believe her maiden name was either McDonald or Hutchinson. I can't seem to find a marriage record!

4. The family was living at 31 Hooton (or Horton) Place in 1895. This is the address listed on Jessie Lawrie's death certificate.

5. Charles Lawrie (Alexander's father) was listed as living at 2 SeaView Road in 1895. Charles registered Jessie's death certificate and this is the address he listed.

In the 1891 Census and on Jessie Lawrie's death certificate, Charles Lawrie is listed as a storekeeper. I would very much like to know what store and what kind of wares were on sale.

I know this is a lot and I really do appreciate your help. I am not sure what information is exactly available in the directories but, as I am sure you know, even the smallest detail can lead to another more significant finding. If you want to eMail me directly I am at yahoo.com.

Thanks again so much,

Darlene
Jan

:lol:

Hi Darlene,

First of all do you have a copy of your grandfather's birth cert? that would give his mother's name and maiden name, this is his birth registration.

England & Wales, FreeBMD Birth Index: 1837-1983
about John Alexander Lawrie
Name: John Alexander Lawrie
Year of Registration: 1893
Quarter of Registration: Jan-Feb-Mar
District: West Derby
County: Lancashire
Volume: 8b
Page: 525

Certificates cost £7

I will look through marriage indexes, but it may be possible that his parents were married elsewhere. I will look for them on the census and gain more info from them.

Jan
Jan

I found the family on the 1891 census, there was a little Charles Lawrie aged 6 months, this could be his birth registration.

about Charles Lawrie
Name: Charles Lawrie
Year of Registration: 1890
Quarter of Registration: Oct-Nov-Dec
Page: 406

Jan
hi_m88

Jan wrote::lol:

Hi Darlene,

First of all do you have a copy of your grandfather's birth cert? that would give his mother's name and maiden name, this is his birth registration.

about John Alexander Lawrie
Name: John Alexander Lawrie
Year of Registration: 1893
Quarter of Registration: Jan-Feb-Mar
Page: 525

Certificates cost £7

I will look through marriage indexes, but it may be possible that his parents were married elsewhere. I will look for them on the census and gain more info from them.

Jan
I do have my grandfather's birth certificate. I ordered it from the UK government. It lists his mother as Jessie Hutchinson Lawrie. The trick is that the church register for his Canadian marriage to my grandmother lists his mother as Jessie McDonald. The person I believe to be his older brother, James Lawrie, immigrated to Canada with my grandfather in 1895. Interestingly, James' Canadian marriage record lists his name as James Hutchinson Lawrie but also cites his mother's name as Jessie McDonald.

I have ordered the birth certificates for all the Lawrie children listed as living with Jessie Lawrie in the 1891 British Census except for one child, Jane, for whom I cannot find a birth record. She is listed as Jane L on the Census and the year she was born there is a Louisa Lawrie born in West Derby but the GRO reports that my reference is bad. I have double checked and according to the BMD index, it should be good.

I have not received the other children's birth certificates yet. I expect to get them this week or early next week.

Also, I have Jessie Lawrie's death certificate but her maiden name is not listed.

I know that Alexander was a Merchant Marine and was away at sea a lot. My theory is that maybe Jessie McDonald's father was a McDonald and her mother was a Hutchinson...maybe that is how the records became confused. Maybe while Alexander was at sea Jessie and family lived with her mother???? Crazy theory I am sure. The other difficulty is that I believe Jessie was Scottish. I say this because my grandfather's 1940 National Registration in Canada lists his father from Liverpool, England (even though he was definitely born in Scotland and moved with the family to Liverpool shortly after his birth in 1860 and all of his younger siblings were born in Liverpool) and his mother from Scotland.

This is why I think the marriage certificate is so important. I have not yet seen a marriage certificate from the UK but...the Scottish marriage records are very detailed in terms of wife's maiden name, wife's mother's maiden name, etc.

I have looked up all Alexander and John Alexander Lawries married between 1880 and 1890 (figured age of 20 at marriage and up to two years after the birth of first child). Then I looked up all Jessie Hutchinsons and Jessie McDonalds during the same period. No matches. You are right though, maybe I need to widen my search. I only focused on marriages in the West Derby district. I have also searched for these marriage combinations in Scotland with no luck.

I have one other question...if I can. I am having a problem with sorting out locations in the UK. My family tree program calls for me to enter locations with city, county, state, country. It must have been written by American programmers. I can make it work in Canada by substituting province for state. In the UK I am not sure the convention for locations.

For example, Jessie Lawrie's death certificate lists the following:

Registration District: West Derby
Sub-District: Walton
County: Bootle and Lancaster
Place of Death: Bootle

Would the location be:

Bootle, Bootle/Lancaster, West Derby, England

or

Bootle, Bootle/Lancaster, Walton, England

or

Bootle, West Derby, Lancaster, England

or some other derivation????

Most of my family is from the UK so I have many certificates and I am quite sure none are recorded correctly by me in my database....

Thanks again for your help,

Darlene
LadyD

Hi Darlene

Alexander Lawrie m Jessie Hitchson at St Marys Walton Mar quarter 1882 REF 8b 687

I was married there

Dorothy
Born Benedict St, Moved to Ford.Married lived Breeze Hill then Formby
Now in Florida after living all over the world.
hi_m88

Dorothy, thank you so much! Wow, this site is great so many people are so helpful. I will order that marriage certificate now!

Not sure if I have found the right church but here are some pics of St. Mary's in Walton:

http://www.visitcumbria.com/churches/walton.htm

Thanks again so much.

D
Jan

:? :D

Hi Darlene,

I think you may have the wrong church, the church you have may be in Bootle Cumbria and not St Mary's Walton (Lancashire)

Have a look at this site with a picture of the church Dorothy has given as the place of marriage for Alexander and Jessie.

http://www.lan-opc.org.uk/Liverpool/Walton/indexma.html

Also

http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/LAN/Wa ... Mary.shtml

Jan
Jan

Darlene,

To try and help with the districts, Bootle was once called Bootle Cum Linacre, in the registration district of West Derby, Lancashire.

This might help.

http://www.ukbmd.org.uk/genuki/reg/dist ... derby.html

Jan
Jan

I had a look at the marriage for Alexander and Jessie on the lancashire bmd site and it is listed as follows

http://lancashirebmd.org.uk/

LAWRIE Alexander NITCHSON Jessie Walton, St. Mary Liverpool 2012WD/12/167

If you go to the site and click on marriages, click on search marriages, type in the surname and go to 1882 and in another box you will get Liverpool, the reference number 2012WD/12/167 if you click on that ref number, you will get a partly filled in application form to order the marriage cert from the address on the form, you can then print it off. But if you prefer to order from the GRO, use the Volume and Page number Dorothy has given and not the other ref number because that is only for use at Liverpool Registry Office and they don't use Vol and page numbers.

Jan
hi_m88

Jan, thanks again so much. Could you look at my post above re: location descriptions and give me some guidance on how UK locations are properly recorded?

Much appreciated.

Best,

Darlene
LadyD

I should have added that you will as well as the reference to send for the marriage cert, you will need the Registration District. In this case it is West Derby. :oops:

English marriages certs are not as detailed as the Scottish ones.
They should have---Date, place. couples names and occupations and where they were living, sometimes ages, their father's names and occupations, witnesses

Dorothy
Born Benedict St, Moved to Ford.Married lived Breeze Hill then Formby
Now in Florida after living all over the world.
Jan

Hi Darlene,

Did you see my post above?

County's and districts changed over the years, so in this case if your family were born/died in Bootle it would have been Bootle, West Derby, Lancashire,England.

Although there is a district of West Derby within Liverpool and not to be confused.

Here are some others.

http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/Regions/Codes.html

Jan
hi_m88

Jan/Dorothy, you have both been so very helpful. I started doing family research about a year ago so I am pretty much still a novice.

I have one riddle that I just cannot make out and wanted to see if you had any ideas.

My great-great-grandmother, Jessie Lawrie, is listed with various maiden names. It is so confusing. I would out of hand think I had the wrong person or was looking at multiple people and confusing them as the same person but there are so many other defining factors on each document that lead me to believe that she is the same person with a number of names.

Is this typical of the 1860-1900 period in Liverpool? I mean her marriage certificate appears to be Hitchson or Nitchson. On each of her children's birth certificates she is listed as either a Hutchison, Hutchinson, or McDonald. Her children's Canadian marriage certificates list her as a McDonald (although this is the least used name in any UK record - only one child's birth certificate). Her death certificate only lists her married name!

I am confounded, confused, and in a general conundrum on this one (how is that for alliteration)!

I have only one relative in the family (who recently passed away) who remembered any details about Jessie Lawrie. My great-aunt never met her grandmother but did say that her name was Jessie McDonald.

Thanks again for all your help. If you have any ideas re: above they are very much appreciated.

Darlene
hi_m88

Jan wrote::? :D

Hi Darlene,

I think you may have the wrong church, the church you have may be in Bootle Cumbria and not St Mary's Walton (Lancashire)

Have a look at this site with a picture of the church Dorothy has given as the place of marriage for Alexander and Jessie.

http://www.lan-opc.org.uk/Liverpool/Walton/indexma.html

Also

http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/LAN/Wa ... Mary.shtml

Jan
Jan, I did indeed have the wrong Church. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

D
Jan

Hi Darlene,

I know how frustrating it is getting the right info, I can only think that Jessie had a middle surname or double surname, if you know what I mean, I think that Scottish born people often had their mother's maiden name as a middle name, this is often shown on Scottish marriage certificates, it is such a pity that England/Wales didn't have that info on the certificates too, in relation to marriage certificates.

If you get a copy of the marriage cert, and I am sure the correct info will be on that.

The lancashire BMD site is transcribed by volunteers from parish or registry office records and there are often spelling mistakes on the entries, maybe because the transcriber is unable to read what the document says properly.

There is a (paysite) http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/ that may be helpful in trying to find Jessie, but it may be difficult, but worth a try just the same. Scottish records were not started until 1855 unlike the England/Wales ones from 1837.

Jan