southey st

Find Bootle friends and family here
tony barwise

Ray,

we lived at the bottom end of Southey street on the other side to the Wrights(see teh map above). We were friends with the Wrights and must have known the same people. The Barwise name is fairly rare so unless there happenned to be another branch of the family around at the time, then it sounds like us.

Could you be thinking about my brother Ian rather than Alan?

regards

Tony
Tony Hines

tony barwise wrote:Ray,

we lived at the bottom end of Southey street on the other side to the Wrights(see teh map above). We were friends with the Wrights and must have known the same people. The Barwise name is fairly rare so unless there happenned to be another branch of the family around at the time, then it sounds like us.

Could you be thinking about my brother Ian rather than Alan?

regards

Tony
Tony was that you who went to Bootle grammar and was in my class in Netherton?
tony barwise

No but it might have been my cousins paul/malcolm?

They are about mid to late 50 years old now.

Tony
bernie johno

john j connell wrote:Was the butchers name John Lee? the shop on the corner was Rayners. JJC.
rayners was corner of shelly st :D :D :wink:
hood st ,norton st, spenser st ,
Tony Hines

tony barwise wrote:No but it might have been my cousins paul/malcolm?

Tony
Tony
there is a recent pic on the gallery Bootle Grammar 1963/4, there bis a Barwise sitting next to me on the bottom left, I think it may have been Paul
Bootle Lad

Hi Tony B
Check with Ian and see if it was him, I might be wrong but I am sure it was Alan, a couple of my other classmates from Gray St lived in the same area. Eric Burns and David Gibson, they might have been cousins
Cheers
Ray
Arrived in New Zealand in 1964 to get away from the cold winters of the early 60's. Now residing in Pakuranga, Auckland.
tony barwise

Ray

I checked with my brother who has researched all the Barwises in Liverpool and he says there was an Alan Barwise in the Bootle area at around the time you mentioned. He was not directly related to our branch of the family.

Tony
tony barwise

Tony Hines wrote:
tony barwise wrote:No but it might have been my cousins paul/malcolm?

Tony
Tony
there is a recent pic on the gallery Bootle Grammar 1963/4, there bis a Barwise sitting next to me on the bottom left, I think it may have been Paul
Tony

http://www.bootlehistory.co.uk/forum/vi ... hp?t=19538

my cousin Paul is (I believe) in the football team photo in the above link. Pauls family lived in Netherton. However I don't think that the boy in the Bootle grammar school photo is the same person. It turns out from talking to my brother that there was another branch of the Barwise family in the Bootle area at this time who were not directly related to us. So perhaps the grammar schoolboy was part of their family.

Tony
norma19

Hi ,
Ive been racking my brain over Maureen Gilbert.
I seem to remember she lived in the second prefab
on the right walking from marsh lane..A nice looking
girl with a shortish haircut which is dark...Id like to speak
to her too.
I lived in the posh end of Southey st near Peel Road.
I remember Mary Boyle.Prefab..opposit her was a
disabled woman who threw things at you...we tried to
speak to her but no avail .. Kenny and Linda Johnson
lived prefab..The Topping Family 56..The postman
George.58....The Shaws 60...Gus and Frank Harris 62.
Edie and Duncan Downey...Salt of the earth..I pulled her
out of the garden many times after she had had a
skinful in the Salisbury....Then the Byefields...the swans
next door...then May France all the girls and Joey...
Not many characters left...Bruce Bennett who I disliked.
The Clarks..The Deans (Marjorie and Carol).and the
Jewsburys who totally freaked me out....They were great days

I used to wait for Mick Mckeown to walk up the street and we would
Snarl at each ..we dont know why...but he he was always going
to sort me out..We eventually worked together and became
prettty good friends..he was the prettiest....Id love to see Mick again,
not seen him for years.
Hope a few of those names help,

John
bboardman

Hi John--Was Mick McKeown from Oneill Street,if so his house backed on to our place.We lived at 96 Marsh Lane. Maureen Gilbert was my very first girlfriend,she was beautiful.I knocked about with the lads at the Marsh Lane area of Southey St.Some names for you are-Tucker Holland,Richie Lavelle,Bernie Gleaves,Stan and Eric Wright--Cheers Billy
norma19

Hi BB,
Id like to say she was cheating on you with me but I cant , My Luck!!!!.
I remember Richie Lavelle and Maureen Gilbert, Mick of course and
Maureen Gilbert...She was lovely, are you still as lucky.
I never spent time with Mick going drinking, at the time I stayed away
from it. If you see Mick can you let him know I asked about him.

Thanks BB,
John
Shelagh

Hi John, sent a p.m. yesterday, not sure if you got it,, had trouble posting it!!
One of the people you mention in above post "Mary Boyle" I still see her from time to time
mainly around the strand, she lives around that way!! Next time I see her I will enquire about the person mentioned!
Remember too, Helen Lavelle, and others around that street. You mentioned Mick Mckown, I remember him from around that area, but knew his brother Dennis better,, thought Dennis was a lovely bloke,, unfortunately, he passed away last year.. Still see Mick about, he lives
Near me in Crosby, I think he drinks in the Wild Rose by the strand.. seems to be the meeting place for a lot of the Marsh Lane Boys.. If I see him around, I'll let him you were asking after him!!
Take Care,,Shelagh !!
BOBHAMO

Last edited by BOBHAMO on Fri Nov 27, 2015 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
bootle born altcar road
bboardman

Hi John--I forgot to mention another of our 'gang' and that was Roger Slater,did you know him?- Billy
bboardman

Hi Sheelah-I knew Mary Boyle,she was my sister,Ruby's friend.I also knew Dennis McKeown,a top guy .I'll tell you a true tale about Dennis.I was about the same age as Dennis,about 17.I was walking home from work,along Irlam Rd one day and we met and we got talking.I said to Dennis your looking a bit smug,what are you up to?He said,I can't tell you right now but I will later.But on the way home I kept pushing him and in the end he gave in and told me.He said 'I'm beginning to lose my hair but i'm not worried about it as I think i've found a cure that seems to be working on me.If this really works I will make a fortune.I said 'that sounds terrific but what are you using to cure the baldness?' I can't tell you he said.I hassled and hassled him until I promised him I wouldn't tell anyone else for at least 12 months--I said OK.so what are you using? Dennis said 'Maclean's Toothpaste' I said you are joking he said 'i'm not -I rub it on every morning when I get up and every night before I go to sleep someone told me about it and appears to be working' I thought WOW.-I never saw Dennis again for about 6 months and I bumped into him just by the Solly pub,I didn't recognise him at first as he was as bald as a coot !!!.You may not believe this Sheelah but it is true-- Billy
bboardman

My Apologise Shelagh for spelling you name incorrectly--Billy
Shelagh

Haha:) gave me such a laugh with that one Bill, made me realise just how gullible we all were back then,, remember the time our headmistress in St James, showed us her special exercises for bust enhancement, (which is a laugh in itself) she was a nun;
Every girl in our class, practicing those stupid exercises for about a year, and all to no avail,, no results whatsoever,, not an inch between us!!
Certain she was just having us on,, strange how we all fell for it!!

As for the toothpaste miracle... cann't wait to tell my boys about that one..
Will no longer be able to look at a tube of Colgate in the same way,, So funny!
Thanks for that memory!!
( No worries about name spelling,, couldn't spell it myself till I was about ten)
Shelagh!!
Sheelagh Tequila

Bill..Shelagh re toothpaste..........we believed it would get rid of love bites :oops: :oops: :oops: .........All it did was make the neck smell of mint :shock: ,,,,,,,,,,I didn`t say it was me 8)

Sheelagh :D
efc46

Hi I lived in Balfour road people I knew in southey st. John shaw richie holland(onks) Christie Lunt Tommy & Mickie Kelly( both passed on)went to school with john &richie worked with Richie at Ryders milk(by the Half Miley)What a luvly site this is takes me back to all or yesterdays /Davey
Davey Rowlands Bootle