Pub in Reading Street circa 1905 - 1910 ??

Find Bootle friends and family here
Thommos sister

Know how you feel Lily, same here.
Dad in R.A on the ships in Atlantic, Grandad fireman on ships all of his life.
Did I tell you in free Anx, I found him aboard Aquitania in 1919 to N.Y, it lists his number and his birthday 31st July, same as mine..first time I've had a document with this info...woo hoo

T.S :D
Paul McCabe

Lily………Thanks again……..another (2) direct hits…!!.

You’re like Annie Oakley shooting the heads off every clay pipe in the Rifle-range at the Funfair. !!!$$%%?? (joke).

……..I’m running out of superlatives about you………

===

The McGrath family you’ve dug up is almost certainly them.

I knew that Margaret’s father was named William. (Which fits).

Whilst the date of Margaret’s birth would appear incorrect, I’m certain it’s just an error.

I need to purchase Patrick & Margaret’s wedding certificate (8b 866), which should lead me in the direction of their parents.

Patrick died March 8th 1917 & Margaret on March 13th 1929.

==

As for the seaman record ………..that stopped me in my tracks;

Yep…….that’s my Grandfather, Peter Paul McCabe, born 1st July, 1880.

Why, I could even pass myself off as him, the likeness is remarkable.

Although I avoid wearing a horse-hair shirt these days. (joke).

I know my Grandfather’s older brother John, (born 1878), had sons Jack & William.

His other younger brother William, (born 1885), died on Aug 27th 1912, aged 27yrs. (seems young ??).

The one person I can’t place is a Francis McCabe, who died on Sept 8th 1934 aged 24yrs old.

Possibly William’s son ?.

Anyway, over the weekend, ‘I wandered lonely as a cloud’ (acknowledgement here to William Wordsworth) all around the areas where, The Reading pub, 21 Lamb Street & 9 Hopwood Street once stood. (Thanks Bob Hamo for the excellent map).

Just reading the minute detail of that map aided the imagination, Stables, as a Brewery, a Smithy, Margarine factory, all were once in close proximity.

All long gone. Never mind.

I found the part of Hopwood Street where No 9 stood, there now stands a peaceful community field.

At this point I’d like to say there ‘were a host of golden daffodils, fluttering & dancing in the breeze’………but that would be stretching the imagination a tad too far.

The sojourn to Wellington Street in Widnes will be a full day’s cycle, I’ll pack a bottle of water & jam butties on thin sliced ‘Sunblest’ bread, & wrap them in wrapper that the loaf was purchased.

No fancy ‘cling film’ or foil necessary. Some things need to kept traditional.

Will seek liquid refreshment in ‘The Main Top’ & ‘The Mersey Hotel (formerly ‘The Snig Pie House’ as it was famous for its eel pies !!...or so ‘Google’ tells me, …I’ll bet the barman won’t know that !!)).

Both hostelries will have no doubt been descended upon by Patrick & no doubt one or two if not all of the (4) young lodgers…….Oh to have been a fly on the wall.

Thanks again for all the help & to everyone who contributed / commented.

Cheers

P
glossybonce

:D

Im sorry i never helped out on this one been too busy and tired with work , even to post a comment. :(

But im off now and will catch up, Paul what a result for you and I must take me hat off to Lily for going the extra mile on this one. You are a star Lily. :) and Paul i agree with your comments about Bobhamo's map, i took a copy a while back because it had the canals and moorings on it where my ancestors worked and i too found the detail brilliant.

All in all what a great bunch of people on this site. :)
Time is precious.....Waste it wisely.
lily8

Thommos sister wrote:Know how you feel Lily, same here.
Dad in R.A on the ships in Atlantic, Grandad fireman on ships all of his life.
Did I tell you in free Anx, I found him aboard Aquitania in 1919 to N.Y, it lists his number and his birthday 31st July, same as mine..first time I've had a document with this info...woo hoo

T.S :D
Hi Mate :P
If you want pm the details and I will have a look in the Nat Arcs for any pics etc.
Lily
Thommos sister

Thanks Lily, your a great mate!!

T.S :)
lily8

This is the only Francis McCabe I could find in Lancashire with a dob 1910 +- 2 years.

MCCABE, Bernard Head Married M 32 1879 Seaman Dublin Dublin Ireland Res
MCCABE, Mary Wife Married
7 years F 35 1876 Liverpool
MCCABE, Theresa Daughter F 6 1905 School Liverpool
MCCABE, Agnes Daughter F 4 1907 School Liverpool
MCCABE, Francis Son M 2 1909 Liverpool Lancs
MCCABE, Alice Daughter F 0 (10 MONTHS) 1911 Liverpool

55 Evelyn St Kirkdale
Lily
Paul McCabe

Thanks for that Lily, I suspect they are probably from Patrick's extended family.

Evelyn Street runs parallel to where Lamb Street lay, heading towards Lambeth Rd.

My Father had a sister Agnes too, so names like that tend to run in families.

My father's youngest sister (Rita) is still alive, must pop up & see her for some gentle interrogation.

I'll go easy on the 'Water-boarding', I promise.

Cheers.

P

P
Paul McCabe

(Please imagine a marriage document here, written in Latin.
it won't download...soz)

Thus; like every good Cop,……… I followed up on Lily’s lead …..

(cue ‘Elliot Ness’ muzak /… Optional, & am only kidding anyway).

Meanwhile;

Lily had traced the ‘McGrath’ Family to Old Swan in 1871. (Thanks again Lily)

I already knew Patrick McCabe & Margaret McGrath married in June 1875, & both were Catholic.

Therefore, why not check out the marriage details from St Oswalds church in Old Swan.

As most guys marry in the church of their bride, it seemed obvious. ?

I’d sought advice & was reliably informed that if I went to the 2nd floor of the Museum in William Brown St, & sought assistance from the staff they would: “point me in the right direction.”

Never was a truer word spoken, the staff were uber helpful & recognized me immediately as a complete novice.

They then calmly & diligently showed me how to search for what I was looking for.

This is where the adventure turns into something almost out of “Raiders of the lost Ark.”

Then, … eventually,….(the rules are complicated, but never mind)… via the staff, …

I’m in possession of a Microfilm ….Yes, !! a Microfilm, NOT a CD or even a ‘Mini-disc…(cue loud drum music)…..!!!!!.

The Micro Film is loaded to some 'Super 8' contraption (with help from the staff) & I’m able to scroll through all the marriages ….(cue quieter drum music)……

As I already knew the year & month that I’m searching for, it’s a big help, so I slowed the scrolling as I approached June 1875………..I really wanted to savour this moment.

It never disappointed….(see above)…BINGO……my own personal ‘Rosetta Stone’ !

(Apologies, I’ve read (not all) but some Dan Brown stuff.)

Nevertheless, I silently punched the air beneath the table.

RESULT. (Thanks again Lily).

Amen.

Now is a good time to switch to another topic (see previous advice)…!!

However, If you’re still reading……………….:-)

Furthermore;

Prior to the above I’d also interviewed my Aunt Rita, (born 1920), my father’s youngest sister.

‘Water-boarding’ techniques were never necessary……..she sang like a Canary (or maybe I should say, like a ‘Parrot’……read on,….. I’ll explain).

Rita never knew the Bernard McCabe family (more platitudes to Lily here) from Evelyn St,……, bear in mind those people were mostly born (10) years before her.

Although, I feel they may be part of the bigger picture, but never mind, it gets too deep.

Nevertheless, in the (3) hours spent with her I learnt so much more about her & everything. (Copious amounts of tea)

1st…her name is Margaret…!!.....but she has been ‘Rita’ since she can ever remember.

She lived in 69 Lamb St with her Father (Peter Paul), & her other (3) sisters, Mary, Kate, Agnes & brother Peter (my father).

Her father (Peter/Paul, my G/father) brought home a young parrot from sea when she was a young child. (As you do) !!

Rita was the only person the parrot respected. She could do anything with it.

Rita’s Mother banished the parrot to her G/mother’s (Patrick & Margaret) in No 21 Lamb St.

Her G/father Patrick, Margaret & young Johnny Fazackerley lived in No 21.

Patrick died in 1917, aged 65, (5 yrs before Rita was born), probably exhausted from his years in the chemical industry in Liverpool & Widnes.

Margaret died in 1929, so then the Parrot returned ‘home’ to No 69 Lamb St.

Rita now re-united with ‘Polly’ & would play in out the street as a (9) yrs old with a fully grown parrot on her shoulder………!!!!!.

Nobody picked on Rita………….’Polly’ was vicious.

Imagine Rita & Polly today, turning up at The New Strand as a (9) yrs old girl & wondering what all the fuss was about ??.

Thereby, Margeret’s passing left Johnny free to join his extended family in USA.

Johnny had swore he would never leave his Grandparents. He never did.

He was now aged 29 years.

I met Johnny many years later, when I was a child, but I’ll never forget him, he was kind.

He was a guy who had time for everyone. He was special.

ANYWAY……………(Don’t ever blame me if you’re still reading)

I cycled to Widnes too, to mooch around Wellington St, where Patrick & his gang lived.

My map was faithful, I found the road easily…………OK, where Patrick & co lived was demolished & some business units had replaced it……..such is life…I expected that.

As I headed from Wellington Street to the local hostelries, I came across an old pub that even Google didn’t know about…!!....THE OLD SWAN.

……plus it was just 60 yards from Patrick’s dwelling place.,,,,,,,,,,,& it also had leaded windows, a bar, a lounge, & ancient wood décor. Perfect pub.

It was a place Patrick (& his 4 lodgers) would have found impossible to avoid.

I could sense it.

I entered at ‘High Noon’ precisely…..(like all good Cowboys would)

I immediately knew it was a ‘Good Pub’ as there were at least (3) people on what was obviously their second beer.

I requested solace for my bicycle from the barmaid (much to the joy of the clientele), this granted, I smuggled the bike behind an inner door & ordered a pint of Bitter.

I continued to look ‘windswept & interesting’ (not easy in ‘Day-glow’ tackle) whilst supping my beer.

I was soon engaged in conversation by a couple of the locals ….along the lines of;

‘Whatz tha doing round ear then chuck ???”

At this point I realized that a lie would be worse than the truth (& anyway that’s how I was brought up)…so I told them.

Hoots of laughter ensued tempered with lots of local info, & then followed a history of all the McGraths they knew, mostly from Nightclubs (Castaways) & other hilarious stories.

Great guys & a great pub, why I even witnessed a guy enter & discreetly pay off his “slate’ !!!....Not a problem. The way it should be too.

Thanks again Lily……….I’d never have got this far without you.

Wexford 2013……maybe….watch this space.

Message ends

P

`
lily8

Paul :P I can assure you it has been a pleasure and a privilege to assist your family search, I have chuckled at your replies and have really enjoyed them. Should you have any queries later on just post and we 'genies' will do our best.
Later, found the marriage record but there is nothing to beat finding it yourself you must have been 'dead chuffed'

27th June 1875 by Richard Holden (priest) Patrick McCabe of Hook Street Liverpool father Peter McCabe and Margaret McGrath of Queen street Liverpool father William McGrath

Witnesses Joan or Jane Rimmer of Foster/Forster Street Liverpool and Margaret Hughes of Queen Street Liverpool.

Cheers
Last edited by lily8 on Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lily
glossybonce

Great post Paul :lol:
filsgreen

Who needs "Who do you think you are" with you guys around! I'm reading this and find the history fascinating, Thanks to all you genies.

Phil
davybaby

[quote="lily8"]I had a look for a pic of the Reading Hotel as found by Bob and found one in Geds great site . . .

BOBHAMO

Like it davybaby :lol: :lol: great shot of the reliant saloon :lol: :lol: :lol:
my dad had one :lol: :lol:
bobhamo
bootle born altcar road
Paul McCabe

Commercial Road / Lambeth Road looking North(ish),towards Melrose Rd in 1955. (with acknowledgment to Ged's site).

Thanks Davy Baby for uploading the Commercial Rd shot which was taken in 1972 & clearly shows 'The Reading Hotel' where this thread began.

Here is the same shot taken September 2011.

We waited an age for a Robin Reliant but had to admit defeat before it became too dark….!! (joke).

In 1972, it was probably nigh impossible to take a snap-shot of Liverpool traffic without capturing a Robin Reliant chugging steadfastly along.

Now, as you can see, it’s almost impossible to take the same picture without “White-van man” either overtaking or just generally being in a hurry. (!?).

On observing the general vista of the scene, you could easily be mistaken & assume that the general lack of buildings was down to the Luftwaffe air raids of WW2.

Sadly, you’d be wrong.

Imagine a super-sleek Tram, silently gliding around that junction & there would be nothing that ‘White-van man’ could do about it either.

Never mind, I could always audition for 'Grumpy Old Men'. !!$$??.

Cheers.

P
BOBHAMO

Hi paul it sure looks different now :lol: :lol:
when they demolish an area it breaks up the old frendships
though the new propertys have all the mod cons
cant seeing them last :roll: :roll:
bobhamo
bootle born altcar road
el frankie

Hi guys, I was born in Reading St in 1946.
I spent a lot of my childhood sitting on the step of this pub
with a bottle of lemonade and a packet of crisps.
I believe the correct name was The Reading Vaults. I think it was
called Cissie Whites at one time. A lot of my family used the pub.
The Christies and the Nolans.
Paul McCabe

Finally, a pic of the heroine of the piece;

Mary Ann Fazackerley (nee McCabe) with her husband Joe Fazackerley, who was previously the publican of The Reading Hotel, Commercial Rd, pictured here with daughter Marie, & son Edward who was born in Widnes in 1910.

I estimate this photo was taken in USA around 1914. Mary Ann is 37 yrs old.

Gazing into their countenances, I feel I now understand a little more the definition of the word ‘Pioneer’.

I’d noticed there was a film recently released entitled “I don’t know how she does it’ & that it was roundly panned by the critics.
I’ve not seen it so can’t comment one way or the other, lest to say, perhaps Mary Ann may have made for a more apt subject matter.

Anyway, never mind.

I couldn’t finish without including Johnny Fazackerley, born 1900, who remained here in Liverpool & joined his siblings in USA permanently in 1929 after his grandparents had passed on.

Johnny is on the extreme left, this is the wedding of his brother Francis (born 1916….the 15th pregnancy !!), Francis is standing next to his bride Adele, & Johnny is standing next to her sister (Betty). Taken in approx 1939.

Johnny has “Good Guy” written all over him…..with some people, you can just feel it.

Now spin the time machine forward to 1960………here is Francis & Adele with their (5) children; Madeline, Francis, Mary Ann, John & Michael. How’s that for an ‘All American Family’ ??

Thus, just like at the end of one of those ‘Looney Tunes’ cartoons that I used to watch as a kid in ‘The Princess’ cinema on Brewster Street;

“That’s all Folks” (cue that Wacky music)

Thanks again to everyone who contributed, including Mary Ann (Mary Ann’s granddaughter), & Michael both pictured above on the extreme right, for their input & the photos. Their pictures bring the story to life somehow.

Plus a Big, Big “Thank you” to Lily, the site’s very own ‘Cyber-Sherlock’……she’s amazing.

Cheers

P
glossybonce

:D :D
Hi Paul

Great to see the photo's of your rellies and again another interesting post.
Thommos sister

Thanks Paul, wonderful photos, so much to see, the clothes, the fashions, the hats and shoes and most of all the expressions on their faces.
Just fantastic.
Awesome!!

T.S :)
lily8

Thanks Paul for letting us know the outcome of the story and the pics are wonderful a lovely family and Mary Ann what a lady :P
Lily
Paul McCabe

Hi..........I've finally made arrangements to visit Wexford next year..........Saturday April 1st (How apt) 2017.........via ferry from Pembroke to Rossclare.

I'm going on the back of my son's motorbike........"Easy-Rider" style (!! Gulp)...... :-)

My Dad used to take me as a kid to the IOM on the back of his bike,......so history always repeats itself.

Any advice in tracing my G/Grandfather Patrick McCabe (b 1852) a Fireman from Wexford would be greatly appreciated.

Anyway, it'll be a nice feeling drinking a few cold Guiness over there.

Slainte

P
lynne99

Have a lovely. wind swept journey and hold on tight. Please keep us informed...
Paul McCabe

lily8 wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:15 pm Hi I found the family in the 1920 census US transcribed as Fazabelly :lol:
Also found a record of Mary 47, Edward 13, Mary 9, Francis 7 and Joseph aged 2 leaving Liverpool 3/11/1923 on the ship 'Cedric' they had been staying with Mum and Grandma at 21 Lamb Street Liverpool.

Well well well...........the Loft is giving up its secrets......!!...........I'm feeling like Howard Carter in Tutankhamun's Tomb !!.

Below is a letter from Mary Ann Fazackerley, written December 13th 1923 from the USA on her return back from Liverpool with her (3) kids on the RMS Cedric.

(See Lily's expert sleuthing above)......Thanks again Lily :-)

I think the letter is to her 10 years old niece Kate (My father's sister).

I'll transcribe the salient parts as the photos are small & difficult to read;

= = = = =

.......well Kate you will be wondering how I got on, I was very sick as were the Kiddies, only the baby (Joe) was the only sailor amongst us. Mary & I nearly died of seasickness.

By Thursday (their 5th day at sea) we were feeling better, it was very stormy & the ship was rolling & shaking & going Up & Down. Oh My it was terrible.

We got in a 2nd class bedroom as they were painting the 3rd class, so we had it nice only we were so sick.

We were held on the RMS Cedric for nearly (5) days after we got in on Sunday 11th November & it was Friday 16th November before we got home.

I was only (1) hour in Ellis Island until we were on the train for Philadelphia, I had no trouble on account of being "Under Quota".

Joe (her husband) was at the Quay side with his brother & sister in law but had to go home without us & return on the Friday at Ellis Island.

I was glad to get home.

Joe (her husband) & the children send Xmas wishes to Peter (my father) & Margaret (her other niece).

Merry Xmas

Mary

= = = = = = =

WoW...that must've been a Hellish crossing. (I'm a terrible sailor too....but my Dad was 27yrs in The Merchant Navy !!)....not sure what "Under Quota" means ?

Anyway..........it's a first hand account & a 'Snap-shot' in time.

Here's what the RMS Cedric looked like;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RMS_Cedric

= = = = = =

Cheers

P