evacuation 1941 to Hereford from St James school bootle

Find Bootle friends and family here
Joanna

Hi ,I wonder if anyone can find out what part of Hereford the evacuees went to and the date they went ,I would be very grateful for any information ,maybe it was put in the Bootle Times or the Bootle Herald
Thanks again for all your help in the past :D :D :D :D
joanna
daveowe

Hi Joanna

I did some research a while back regarding Marton Camp.. here is a piece I passed on to another poster.
Following the 1940 bombing 290 schoolboys were evacuated to Marton Camp, at Whitegate near Northwich, Cheshire, along with 11 teachers. After the May 1941 blitz further evacuation of children took place, to Marton as well as Radnorshire, Herefordshire, Shropshire and Southport. Marton Camp eventually closed in 1944 as well as the other establishments... The information I recall was available in the Bootle Times (newspaper) micro film available at Crosby Central library..

Here are a couple of links to Hereford evacuees from Bootle the town mentioned is Kington.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/ww2peopleswar/stor ... 2325.shtml
http://www.bbc.co.uk/ww2peopleswar/stor ... 0376.shtml
There is a local history group at Kington and a museum
http://www.kingtonmuseum.co.uk/media/re ... es_web.pdf
Dave
Jan

:D

Hi Joanna,

I think the records are under The Board of Education at the National Archives.

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/cata ... 757890&j=1

Jan
chocolate girl

Hi Joanna,

My mum was at St James' and was evacuated to Hereford. This was just after the May Blitz. She was sent to a village called Dilwyn with her sister. Also from St James' were Jean and Tommy Colton. Theresa and Doris Woods and Rose Hughes all from St Monicas', and some children from Bootle Grammer were also there. Me and my mum went back there about twenty years ago. She said it had hardly changed, and there was still only one bus a week from Hereford. Luckily for us it was while we were there!

I don't know if you saw my reply on the St Joans thread re- the Metropole.
vickinca

this is very strange to be reading this as only on Sunday my mom was talking about this very thing. They went to live with her sister in Southport as the house was bombed and my granddad thought it was wonderful as he had a garden and started growing their vegies, but still sent my mom who was only 12 back to Bootle to the butchers and grocery store for their weekly items as he supported the locals.
smile it makes people wonder what you have been up to!
Ed Davies

My Dad was sent to Marton camp and has this picture It's too late to phone him now but will try to find out more about the picture soon
See anyone you know
Ed
lily8

What a great photo Ed
Lily
Ed Davies

Hi Lily
Just shows you what people have tucked away I thought My Dad said it was at MARTINS CAMP but the penny dropped when I saw Daves post
Ed
lily8

Ed here is a bit from the Cheshire Magazine re Marton Camp

Editor's Note: You will find a history of Tarporley Racecourse in the Cheshire Magazine archives. During the Second World War POWs were held here. As regards Marton Camp, this was four or five miles away. Marton Camp was in the village of Marton, near to Winsford. It was a 'camp' with wooden huts etc and was built at the start of the war to house evacuee children, principally from Liverpool. After the war it was taken over by Northumbria County Council who developed it as a special residential school. In the 1980s some of the buildings were used as a sports and leisure club. All the huts have been demolished and the site is now occupied by an exclusive housing development. Today it is called Marton Park and is within the parish/village of Whitegate & Marton, about half a mile from the old Whitegate Railway Station. The former branch line that ran through Whitegate Station, now forms the Whitegate Way Country Park which passes right alongside the old camp and the new houses.
Lily
Ed Davies

Thanks for that Lily I will phone My Dad and pick his brains as to what he remembers and tell him what became of the camp
Ed
lily8

Your'e welcome Ed, can you ask him about the chap in what looks like a soutane - ministerial garb? was it a church run establishment??
Lily
Ed Davies

I will ask him Lily it looks like he has got a priest look about him
Ed
bjones

Thank you so much Ed for posting this pic of Marton Camp. My two oldest brothers - Bill (born 1931) and Phil (born 1933) Jones were evacuated there and were still reminiscing about the place until Bill sadly died in 2007. Bill particularly seemed to have really enjoyed his time there and talked more about that than he did of his 9 years in the Navy. I've forwarded the pic to Phil to look at; I'm sure he'll enjoy it.
As for me, like you I'd always thought it was MartINS Camp until I saw this thread. WWII ended 5 years before I was born and to me the "yarns" my older brothers told of the war years were just stories. The camp figured so much in these stories that it was a real delight to see the pic. Once more: THANK YOU!!
Jan

:D

Great Photo Ed,

The records for the camp are at The National Archives.

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/cata ... 757992&j=1

Jan
bjones

Hi Ed, just heard from my brother; apparently Marton camp was divided into two sectors according to religion. Roman Catholic side and C of E, perhaps determined by the school they came from. The two halves didn't mix. The picture shows the RC boys. Cheers, Bee
Ed Davies

Chatted to my Dad He remembers Mr Toolan was at the camp with them he thinks he became the head of St Winifreds? The only boys name he remembers is McCann, They put on shows and the kids won sweets and if you ran away and the police brought you back you were told to go and have a shower and the strap came out as a punishment
They were farmed out to various houses he went to Number 6 11th Ave Wrexham and stayed with a District nurse he said they would watch the bombers flying over to attack Liverpool He thinks he also stayed with the Pilkingtons (Glass) and was driven around in a huge car by a chaffeur to visit his brother once a week who was sent to a farm to work for a Mrs.Barwise
He said they had normal lessons and yes their was Priests and Nuns but thats as much as he can recall
Ed
daveowe

Hi Ed
Glad to have helped to rectify a misspelling in your family history link, I know how thorough you like to be in your research.
Dave
Joanna

Hi Ed just been reading about Marton camp and seen the photo my brother Vincent is on it ,he is about the 4th from the left on the middle line he has a mop of black hair ,is there any way I could get a copy of it ?I would be happy to pay for it I dont think I can do it on my printer and it would,nt be like a proper copy do you have any sugestions how I can do this ,I am so grateful to you for putting it on Bootle I am sure there are lots of lads or family who will be recognised, thank you so much Ed
Best wishes Joanna :D :D :D
Joanna

Hi Chocolate girl .Just been reading about your mum being evacuated to Hereford after the may blitz ,I missed your email about it before ,I wonder if I was in the same village? I wasn,t there very long as my mum said she had found a place in Southport so she sent me ten shilling note for my train fare home ,All I remember is the house was in its own grounds and the woman was getting on also her husband was older he had 2 big black dogs he used to go shooting the dogs were locked in 2 big kennels they had a son in the air force but I never met him ..there was a little girl with me her name was Bella Hughes I think she was from Milton st off Marsh lane ,I often wonder how she got on .I left that house at 9 am and got the Lime st station when it was dark quite a way to travel at 12yrs on your own ,I hope I can solve this problem ,also the one about the metrapole .thanks fot all that ,hope to hear from you .Best wishes Joan :D :D :D
Eddy Lloyd

Touched it up for you Ed. :wink:

Ed Davies

Thanks Eddy great job :D
Hi Joanna I'm so pleased you have spotted Vincent I'm not to sure when it comes to photo's if anyone has any suggestions I would be happy to get you a copy all I did was scan it maybe if you copied Eddy's touch up pic and buy some photographic paper you might get a good copy off your printer
Ed
bjones

HI Ed,I'm quite new to this site and not too sure how these things work but is it possible and if so would you open a new thread with this pic under "History of Bootle" with Marton Camp as the title.? I happened on it by chance and I'm sure that there are many others who'd love to see this pic if they knew it was there. I expect that there would be a lot of input about it from some of the more mature posters also.
Cheers, Bee
Joanna

Thanks Ed I have replied to Eddy and am very grateful for his help he is going to send it to me by email and thank you Ed for putting it on Bootle p,p,f what would we do without all the good people helping us ,we wouldn,t know anything ,I will let you know how I get on ,I,m not much good at following notes but am much better when I am shown I must be a bit thick but have to live with it .thank you again Ed bestwishes Joanna :D :D :D
Eddy Lloyd

Hi Joanna, I haven't recieved anything from you yet. If you're having problems just post on here and one of us will talk you through it. :wink:
Eddy Lloyd

Got your mail Joanne and have sent you the photo. :D
Meggymoo

Two of my brothers and one of my sisters went to St James school and they too were evacuated i know it was somewhere in wales ,but not exactly where,There names were Eddie Connor (born 1930) Margaret (Rita) connor (born 1931 and Robert (Bob) Connor (born 1933),if anyone knew of them i would love to hear.

Thanks. Megs (Marie)
lived in Hornby Road Bootle untill 1973 now Skem.(Maiden name Connor now Burrows)
Bailey

chocolate girl wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:14 pm Hi Joanna,

My mum was at St James' and was evacuated to Hereford. This was just after the May Blitz. She was sent to a village called Dilwyn with her sister. Also from St James' were Jean and Tommy Colton. Theresa and Doris Woods and Rose Hughes all from St Monicas', and some children from Bootle Grammer were also there. Me and my mum went back there about twenty years ago. She said it had hardly changed, and there was still only one bus a week from Hereford. Luckily for us it was while we were there!

I don't know if you saw my reply on the St Joans thread re- the Metropole.
Hi Chocolate Girl - I am researching the Evacuees of Dilwyn, I have literally just started and wondered what information you might have, I live in the Village and have lots of info about it and the families that lived here, where were your Mum and her sister placed?

I hope to hear from you,

J :)
Bailey

Joanna wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:12 am Hi Chocolate girl .Just been reading about your mum being evacuated to Hereford after the may blitz ,I missed your email about it before ,I wonder if I was in the same village? I wasn,t there very long as my mum said she had found a place in Southport so she sent me ten shilling note for my train fare home ,All I remember is the house was in its own grounds and the woman was getting on also her husband was older he had 2 big black dogs he used to go shooting the dogs were locked in 2 big kennels they had a son in the air force but I never met him ..there was a little girl with me her name was Bella Hughes I think she was from Milton st off Marsh lane ,I often wonder how she got on .I left that house at 9 am and got the Lime st station when it was dark quite a way to travel at 12yrs on your own ,I hope I can solve this problem ,also the one about the metrapole .thanks fot all that ,hope to hear from you .Best wishes Joan :D :D :D
Hi Joan

I am from Dilwyn, is there anything that I can help with, I am researching the evacuees there, I have just started but have lots of contacts with all the old local families.

I hope to hear from you.

J :)