Scouse

Join in here with our very own Bootle Chatterbox...

Scouse

Postby Invicta » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:48 am

Foolishly I’ve offered to feed a group of Finnish kids ( about 20 ) after a London & local tour .
They are too young for the pub so catering here with a one pot dish, something hearty. I thought a “pan of Scouse” that I can make in about 3 batches. So I need your recipe please. I’ve cooked it before but not for many years so look forward to some ideas. Many thanks Ken
Invicta

Re: Scouse

Postby bjones » Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:48 am

Not sure there's any such thing as a recipe for Scouse Ken but here's a few of my tips;

NUMBER ONE. Always start it at least a day before you plan to eat it. The overnight stand is as important as the cooking
2. I use lean braising beef, cutting off every bit of fat I can; I know it's said to add flavour but I can't stand the globby bits.
3. You can soften the onions and seal the meat first if you want but it doesn't make a ha'ppeth of difference to the final flavour cos you're going to cook it for so long.
4. Start off with the meat, onions plus carrots and other roots. A butternut squash makes it a sweet scouse which my kids love.
5. It's at this stage that I add 2 brown and 1 green Oxo for each poundish or so of meat (obviously the more meat the more oxos) and a LARGE dollop of Lee and Perins (the magic ingredient). Salt and white pepper as you like but remember that the Oxos contain a lot of salt and you're feeding kids.......
6 Mix all that dryish lot together so the Oxo and L&P coat it all.
7.Now for the spuds. Use the kind of spuds that mush down to nothing. Add about half of what you'll eventually use.
8. Add water to cover the lot.
9. Boil it up then simmer for yonks.
9. After yonks have passed and it's thickened up add the rest of of the spuds. If it isn't thickening up enough get the spud masher in there, then simmer a bit longer before adding rest of spuds. If it's too thick add more water... again obvs. Boil and simmer for a bit again.
10 turn it off and leave over night.
11. Next day have a look at it and taste it to see what it needs. If it's too thick add a bit of water, if too thin get the masher in again and then add a few more spuds.
12 simmer away again for a long time.
13. Make some dumplings (dough boys my Ma called them)- flour, suet salt and pepper and a bit of water.
14. 20 mins before serving get the stew to a boil and add the dumplings. Put the lid on the pan!
15 Butter your crusty bread and put the pickled red cabbage and beetroot on the table.
16 Yell the kids to "come and get it"

I've no doubt others will have different "recipes" but can only say that when my son was at univ in Manchester i only had to tell him I had a pan on for him to hot foot it all the way back to Crosby. His kids are the same... had to make enough to send a panful down for them last week!
Bee

"Life" is a gift to you. The way you live your life is your gift to those who come after.
bjones

Postby Invicta » Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:56 am

Butternut Squash in Scouse!!! :lol: Imagine what Peter Kay would say :lol:
Thanks Bee, never recalled “dough boys “ in Scouse and I always used lamb, I think. :roll:
Confused of Tunbridge Wells :D. Hungry now :D
Invicta

Postby bjones » Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:15 pm

Ken; the the joys of having an "auld fella" with an allotment! We were being force fed broccoli and courgettes when the neighbours' kids thought peas and carrots were made in tins. Tried most veg as a kid but only learnt to love most as I've grown up. The squash makes it nice and sweet which stops the kids pouring on sugar filled Heinz Tommy K.

My Ma always used lamb as do most people but my mum in law used beef and I preferred her scouse. Lamb's too fatty for me. Dough buoys were the only part of my Ma's scouse I liked. Possibly they came from her Scottish heritage ... wonder if that's the reason there are so many variations of scouse making, Scots, Welsh and Irish all contributing. Ma didn't use Oxos or Lee and Perins either. Think they're my own adaptations... and that's the reason there's no recipe for scouse.. we all did what we could with what we had!
Bee

"Life" is a gift to you. The way you live your life is your gift to those who come after.
bjones

Postby Invicta » Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:24 pm

Recipe’s much more refined these days Bee but stuff doesn’t taste as good. Oxo & L&P will do for me :D Ken
Invicta

Postby Patricia » Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:09 pm

Found this recipe which is similar to the one I use
although as my Mum did, I prefer to use Bisto or Bovril
to add for flavoring and color.

INGREDIENTS
700 g stewing steak, cubed
1 pinches salt and black pepper
2 tbsp plain flour
2 tbsp olive oil
1 large onion, cut into 1cm pieces
2 cloves garlic, crushed
350 ml red wine
800 ml beef stock
1 bay leaves
225 g potatoes, peeled and quartered
3 large carrots, cut into 1.5cm cubes

METHOD
1. Season the beef with salt and pepper, and coat with flour.

2. Heat a large saucepan over a medium heat and pour in the olive oil. Add the onion and cook for 2 minutes, before stirring in the beef and garlic. Seal the meat on both sides - about 1 minute.

3. Pour in the wine and reduce by half - about 5-8 minutes. Add the beef stock and bay leaf and simmer for 30 minutes.

4. Tip in the potatoes and carrots, and continue to simmer gently for another hour. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.

5. I also add cubed swede/ turnip and also celery

6. Serve the scouse steaming hot in bowls with crusty rolls.
I Always have to have either pickled cabbage, pickled beets
or pickled onions with the scouse. :D
Last edited by Patricia on Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Patricia

Postby Invicta » Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:15 pm

Thanks Patricia. Red wine in Scouse, things are looking up :D Ken
Invicta

Postby Patricia » Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:22 pm

Ken - forgot to say that is pretty neat of you to take on a group
of 20 hungry individuals!!!! :D
Patricia

Postby Invicta » Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:40 pm

School trip from one of my old mill towns Patricia. I knew their Mothers and I dare say some of their Grandmothers :wink: K
Invicta

Postby bjones » Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:46 pm

Patricia, easy peasy for our Ken. He regularly feeds a dozen of his own immediate family.... take into account the size oh his son Mark and I'd say he probably caters for about 20 on those occasions. :lol:
And Ken; Patricia uses beef too!
Bee

bjones

Postby Invicta » Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:48 pm

Posh Scouse you two :wink: Kx
Invicta

Postby Shelagh » Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:53 pm

Ken; Warning..Be prepared :wink: not all the Finnish guests will appreciate the offer of lovely heart warming Scouse :(
Emergency supply of fish fingers/chicken nuggets, waffles and chips, on hand at all times :wink: (just in case)

Bee, magic words, "allotment, organic veg" So envy you!
Nothing like growing your own :wink:
Organic is always best, I try to use nothing else, a bit costly but definitely worth it.
Sometimes receive freebies from a friend, she helps run a community vegetable plot based in Childwall, called "Edible Valley" the group have won awards for work in the community!!
All fresh produce, displayed on stalls, left outside the local health centre, anyone can come and help themeselves, free fruit and veg for all :)
Sorry for going off thread Ken, but subject I take a great interest in :wink:
Shelagh

Postby Silver-Haired-Hippy » Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:32 pm

ok, I throw in meat, usually stewing meat, onions, potatoes chopped up, some small, some larger, carrots chopped up, glugged of brown sauce, usually chopped sauce, seasoning, maybe a couple of beef stock cubes if I have any. Cook for a couple of hours or so and serve the next day, no way the same day! Do enough for two days! That's the way my mum did it, and I have stuck with it. We like it!

Loretta
A bit of Bootle in Wales
Silver-Haired-Hippy

Postby Invicta » Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:38 pm

Shelagh, they are kids from Finnish countryside, Scouse will be haut cuisine to them :lol:
It’ll be a nice change from eating fish or reindeer :wink:
Loretta, thanks, more akin to what I remember, Brown sauce, yep. :D Ken
Invicta

Postby bjones » Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:53 am

Yep Loretta, that's probably what I was trying to say :lol: The two most important points are "if I have any" and "no way the same day" and there you've given the essence of scousology!
Bee

bjones

Postby Patricia » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:18 pm

ALWAYS make enough for TWO days there is no way in Hades
that I could make Scouse one day and not eat it any of it until the next!!! :D
Patricia

Postby Ernie Jackson. (Bunty) » Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:07 pm

Yet another great tradition that has faded with time. :roll: :roll: :roll:

How many of your mums needed a recipe to prepare a pan of scouse??

We all enjoyed it, whatever the individual household idea of a recipe, and all we needed was a good appetite....hands up those who never had an appetite. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Ernie Jackson. (Bunty)

Postby Patricia » Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:13 pm

It certainly hasn't "Faded with Time!" at my house - still
make it regularly, especially when the cold weather approaches! :D
Patricia

Postby Ernie Jackson. (Bunty) » Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:23 pm

What about Thai scouse recipe.

Liverpool accent, Plenty of rice, add water plus anything that might run, crawl or slither past as you stir the cauldron?
Ernie Jackson. (Bunty)

Postby Invicta » Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:30 pm

Patricia wrote:It certainly hasn't "Faded with Time!" at my house - still
make it regularly, especially when the cold weather approaches! :D

Never seen it on The Barefoot Contessa, Patricia. Send her the recipe and see what she makes of it :wink: Ken
Invicta

Postby Invicta » Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:32 pm

Ernie Jackson. (Bunty) wrote:What about Thai scouse recipe.

Liverpool accent, Plenty of rice, add water plus anything that might run, crawl or slither past as you stir the cauldron?

On the stove for two days Ernie, who'd know? :shock:
Invicta

Postby Invicta » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:06 am

Have had a lucky escape! Because of Finnish Independence Day ( 100 years on Dec 6th ) they will now stay in London with the Finnish Society to mark the day so no local tour guide needed.
Thanks for your advice, I will inflict it on our lot next time we have a gathering :D Ken
Invicta

Postby Shelagh » Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:25 am

Ken :) breathe easy, feeding and entertaining twenty Finnish kids, no mean feat!
You showed willing, and that's all that matters, I'm sure your friends in Finland will be more than grateful for such a lovely kind gesture :D

Tend to agree with Ernie, didn't know there was a recipe for Scouse, thought you just chucked anything and everything into massive big pan, simmered and simmered to reach perfect consistency, (thick enough for ladle to stand on its own :lol:) left overnight to ferment; that's it, meals sorted for the next few days!!
Scouse; like a very fine wine..improves with age :wink:
Shelagh

Postby Patricia » Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:05 am

Ken - You certaintly started something asking for a recipe for Scouse. Firmly believe everyone has their own family tradition regarding same, it was our fixed Monday evening meal growing up with M um using the leftover roast from the weekend. We always knew pretty much each day of the week what to expect for the evening meal. That is why I so enjoyed the movie Shirley Valentine it was so true to life!
Patricia

Postby BossHogg » Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:17 am

Growing up in Bootle, we kids didn't appreciate a decent pan of Scouse. In our house, it was known as early night tea. If we didn't eat it, we got sent to bed early! :D
BossHogg

Postby Invicta » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:13 am

Morning Shelagh, I have a long association with Finland through work and have accompanied many groups from there on tours to this and several other Countries. I’ve always enjoyed the kids most, some of the adult groups just drank to oblivion and we rarely got past the first pub :shock: I love your use of the word “ferment” in relation to Scouse :lol:

Hi Patricia, Yes, meals were predictable, wholesome and hearty and as you say the Scouse Was always there:D

Don’t recall many uneaten meals in our house Boss. Eat up as there was no alternative :wink:

Thanks all.

Ken
Invicta

Postby scotty » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:26 am

All this talk of scouse certainly got our juices flowing.Loretta popped in to Tesco on her return from a shopping trip.I could hear her chopping away in the kitchen and then, the most delicious aroma wafted throughout the house.She had made a pot of scouse, enough to last for two days.She wouldn't let me get near it until the second day.I ate enough until I almost burst.It was the perfect day for it too, cold, windy and rainy :D :D :D
All gave some
Some gave all
scotty

Postby Invicta » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:31 am

Great stuff Scotty, well done Loretta, a nice to hear story. :D K
Invicta

Postby henry » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:39 am

scotty wrote:All this talk of scouse certainly got our juices flowing.Loretta popped in to Tesco on her return from a shopping trip.I could hear her chopping away in the kitchen and then, the most delicious aroma wafted throughout the house.She had made a pot of scouse, enough to last for two days.She wouldn't let me get near it until the second day.I ate enough until I almost burst.It was the perfect day for it too, cold, windy and rainy :D :D :D

Do you have beetroot or red cabbage with it. I prefer the beetroot :D
HENRY BORN FLORIDA STREET OFF STRAND ROAD
henry

Postby scotty » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:46 am

Hi Henry, We didn't have either of these this time, but we do like red cabbage the odd time
All gave some
Some gave all
scotty

Postby Silver-Haired-Hippy » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:08 am

Got the taste buds going now Ken! thinking of having corned beef hash tomorrow! not had it for awhile, I use Branson's baked beans, better than Heinz, they have gone rather thin on the juice.

Loretta
A bit of Bootle in Wales
Silver-Haired-Hippy

Postby bjones » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:24 am

Now your talking Loretta :D Love corned beef hash with brown sauce.
Harry's "signature dish" is corned beef pie.... basically just a shortcrust pastry plate pie filled with corned beef hash...... it's the only thing he ever makes and I have to say it's a firm family favourite.... not just with the kids but with friends too. Perfect hot or cold.
The "Scottish Scotts" (you remember Gill and Ian) jokingly posh it up by calling it "stovies en croute" :lol:
Bee

bjones

Postby henry » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:40 am

Silver-Haired-Hippy wrote:Got the taste buds going now Ken! thinking of having corned beef hash tomorrow! not had it for awhile, I use Branson's baked beans, better than Heinz, they have gone rather thin on the juice.

Loretta

BRANSONS all the time Heinz are rubbish and Lidls own are just as tasty as Bransons and are recommended
HENRY BORN FLORIDA STREET OFF STRAND ROAD
henry

Postby Bill fawcett » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:43 am

Loretta , I have to agree with you over the baked beans, only ever buy Branson's, much prefer them to Heinz.

Bill
Bill fawcett

Postby bjones » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:49 am

Me three Bill and Henry and they're usually cheaper too!
Bee

bjones

Next

Return to Chat about anything with the Bootle Bucks