Your Wedding Day

Join in here with our very own Bootle Chatterbox...

Your Wedding Day

Postby Bonesy » Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:11 pm

Me and Lian celebrated our 44th wedding anniversary last Friday and we got talking about the day and how much it cost.

We were married at St Pauls on Hatton Hill Road at 1.00pm on 3rd November 1973 I was 19 and Lian 18 it was a lovely sunny day.
We had 2 Jaguar XJ6 to take us to the church. We only had about 22 guests all family as we couldn't afford to have any friends there.
The wedding breakfast and evening do was at Norwood Hall at the back of the shops on Gorsey Lane, Litherland opposite the Old Farm Garage.
We think the whole day cost about £200.00 which was a fair bit of dosh as I was still an apprentice on £14 a week and Lian a sales assistant at M & S in the Strand on only £11 per week

We spent our wedding night at the Shaftsbury hotel on Mount Pleasant, Liverpool. It was the first time either of us had stayed in a hotel and didn't realise that you got breakfast, we felt dead posh.

For our honeymoon we went to Majorca for 4 nights full board flying from Speke airport, now that was expensive at £28 each.

So what did you guys do for your wedding day ?

Keith
SO MANY PEOPLE, MY FAMILY OF FRIENDS
Bonesy

Re: Your Wedding Day

Postby filsgreen » Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:19 pm

Fantastic topic, Keith. Great pictures and memories of your wedding. Congratulations to you and Lian. :D

My wife and I were also married in St Paul's in 2004. My mate provided the car as we in lived in Brunel Drive at the time. Living over the brush. :oops: The reception was at the Queen of Peace, so very much a local do, no taxis home for us. :D. We honeymooned in Toronto and toured northern Ontario.

To be honest I cant remember the cost, but it wasn't overly expensive, we just paid what we could afford at the time. I do remember John the Vicar, and his wife getting drunk at the daytime reception. He did us proud and made the day extra special, with his informal service. :D

Sorry for all the edits, stupid stubby fingers and smart phones don't mix.
Last edited by filsgreen on Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:38 pm, edited 5 times in total.
filsgreen

Postby Bonesy » Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:27 pm

Cheers Phil, not looked at the photos for a long time and couldn't believe the size of the lapels on my suit and my hair good grief :lol: :lol: :lol:

Keith
Bonesy

Postby filsgreen » Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:49 pm

You look as though you've just stepped out of John Collier or Brass and Jackson, Keith :D Do you remember where you got your suit from?
filsgreen

Postby Ernie Jackson. (Bunty) » Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:28 pm

We were married 25th August 1962 and promised we would be together when we were old and grey....we have. :roll:

It was a village wedding, far away from Bootle, so I wont bore anyone with the details except that we wanted to go abroad for a honeymoon but couldn't afford it.

We arranged for our good friends to have their wedding later on the same day, met in Atherstone the following morning, and did the three day drive (top speed 60mph) as a foursome to Cattolica, Italy in a Morris Minor. We seldom see the other couple now but never miss exchanging anniversary cards.

The whole honeymoon of two weeks cost us £40 per couple.

I remember petrol was too expensive on the Continent so we joined a Government scheme allowing us to buy vouchers here at UK prices.

Our joint Passport as a married couple was issued but kept locked in the church safe till after the wedding.
Ernie Jackson. (Bunty)

Postby Bonesy » Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:56 pm

Thanks for the replies Phil and Ernie.
Phil Im pretty sure my suit was from Jacksons in St Johns Precinct.
Lians wedding dress was second hand and cost £10 with the bridesmaid dresses coming in at a whopping £5 each. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Keith
Bonesy

Postby filsgreen » Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:14 pm

I was a wedding photographer in the 80's and early 90's; I must have done about 100. Anyway, what amazed me was the amount of money people spent on their weddings. I would photograph the ceremony and then continue on to their receptions. I would photograph the couple and their guests, whilst trying not to attract their attention. The couples would spend a fortune on the receptions and the amount of times I heard their guests criticing the food or the event was unbelievable. I've always said that a lot of the time, all that's left of the event is the bride's dress and the wedding album.
filsgreen

Postby Matt » Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:24 pm

Hi Sheila and I got married 16th April1969 at Christ the King Bromborough and our wedding breakfast was at the
Dresden Hotel a little bit down from the church on the New Chester Road.I had been in Canada for 8 months
earning enough to pay for Sheila's flight to BC and the cost of the wedding.Sheila made her own wedding dress and 3 bridesmaids dresses.Less than 1 pound per head :) Just 36 people and the bill
at the Dresden came to 34 pounds.2 day honeymoon at the Blossoms Hotel in Chester then flight from London to Vancouver and then a 16 hour trip
on 2 ferries and the bus up to our new home in a logging/sawmill town on the West Coast of Vancouver Island at Tahsis.
What I remember most was that still at that time a RC religious wedding was not legal and we had be re married in the back room by a government registrar :evil:
Thank goodness that stupid antiquated law has disappeared.We got to Tahsis around 1030 pm and the local priest had a reception committee waiting for Sheila.
He got a crowd of the local First Nations( N,American Indian) lads all dressed up in feathers,paint and carrying rifles to raid the ferry(WW2 converted Minesweeper The Uchuck)
I think Sheila would have turned round and gone back Eastham but when she saw Father Gerry Guillett laughing his head off all was fine.
Matt
Matt

Postby Elaine Goulding » Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:34 pm

Tom and I married on June 29, 1973 at Christ Church, Bootle. We had 28 people at the wedding including Tom and I. My dress was bought from Lillian Cantor;s on London Road and my two bridesmaid dresses were made by a friend. The reception was at Goddard Hall, Bootle. We had just bought a house and could not afford a honeymoon, however my mum put one of our wedding pictures in the Bootle Times saying we honeymooned in Paris!!!! People kept stopping me and asking what Paris was like! I had no clue what they were talking about........only my mum!! Cannot remember the cost of the wedding, but what seemed a fortune at the time is incredibly cheap now. I married a great man, wonderful husband and loving father. I would marry him all over again in heartbeat!
Elaine
Bianca Street, Bootle - moved to Canada 1982
Elaine Goulding

Postby henry » Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:41 pm

Married 23feb 1968 and was in Trinity Rd registry office and there was only 12 family present,Then onwards to Lees restaurant on Stanley road which was a chinese meal and somebody had chips and fish and a couple of drinks and then later a walk to the Georges in Marsh Lane for a few more drinks in which other family members then came and the music was a group whose names i have forgotten and when it was time to go we had a jars out in my brother in laws flat in Hornby flats which went on till the early morning and we then went on to live with my sister as we had no where to live and she put us up in her parlour and stayed there till and our 1st son was born in Walton hospital in the April and then we saved for a deposit for a 3 up and down in Litherland and have stayed there all our lives and we will have been married 50 years in Feb but couldnt afford a honeymoon as things were tight never even had any furniture only hand downs from other member of our families but been on many hols abroad since to make up for the times we had missed and wouldnt have changed things as we have been happy and we often talk about our early months of our marriage but managed :P
HENRY BORN FLORIDA STREET OFF STRAND ROAD
henry

Postby filsgreen » Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:59 pm

Great story, Henry. I'm not surprised you couldn't afford a honeymoon, betting on Liverpool. :lol:
filsgreen

Postby Bonesy » Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:59 pm

Well done folk, really lovely stories, many thanks for taking the time to reply.

Keith
Bonesy

Postby henry » Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:22 pm

filsgreen wrote:Great story, Henry. I'm not surprised you couldn't afford a honeymoon, betting on Liverpool. :lol:

Couldnt afford a bet in those days as i was only getting £8 a week working on the timber for Owens Peck in Cyprus Road
HENRY BORN FLORIDA STREET OFF STRAND ROAD
henry

Postby Forshaw » Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:22 am

Lovely stories folks . Very heartwarming. Was also married in Christ Church Bootle in the teems of rain September 65 . My husbands uncle didn't come because it was a Derby match between Everton and Liverpool . On the way up Breeze Hill to the reception all the crowds on their way back from the match . Pouring down Ron my husband wound down the window " Who won ? "Liverpool mate . How many ? . " 5 " . Now there was a happy man.
Forshaw

Postby Invicta » Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:14 pm

Nice thread Keith,
Ours was a lovely day under difficult circumstances. We married on 23rd May 1970 at St Philips, Litherland, Janette's local Church.
Our reception, afternoon only, was in The Alt Park, Maghull. In the evening the families went separate ways, Janette's folks to their house, mine to Cooksons where we joined them later (Saturday night in the "Singing Room", Mum was behind the bar as usual)
Janette had made her and two bridesmaid dresses. We had a new house to go to in Barnfield Close, Netherton, first mortgage, approx. £18 per month.
Our honeymoon in Blackpool had been cancelled a week or so before as my Dad had had a big stroke and wasn't expected to make the wedding but he did with some help.
I always said I would make up for no honeymoon by travelling as much as we could later, I kept my word. :wink: Ken
Invicta

Postby dorothy834 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:18 pm

Hi Keith
Leanne looks lovely ...
you look good in that suit (wide leg trousers) love the shoes..very Peter Starsted ..you know who I mean :)
Happy Anniversary for last week...
Dorothy
dorothy834
dorothy834

Postby Shelagh » Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:12 pm

Lovely photos, Keith, you and the beautiful bride, looking a million dollars :D
Midi haircuts all the go in the seventies, boys and girls both had those hairstyles!!

We were Married in St James's church, 24th October 1969, (Jimmys Birthday) perfect day..everything went smoothly, everyone had a great time!
Wedding didn't cost a fortune, both families provided everything needed..

Didn't have a honeymoon, as we'd just returned from holiday (Isle Of Man)
Rest of our savings spent on a cooker, gas fire, kitchen units, water heater, curtains and decorations for our little rented house :D

Have moved a few times since the sixties, but that first little two up, two down (Collins Street) the most memorable home yet, just loved the idea of our first little home :D

Shelagh!!
Shelagh

Postby Marie777 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:25 am

Saint Richards. Miranda Road August 12th 1961 until 23rd August 1982.

On August 12th we said “I do”
You said it to me and I said it to you.
The next ten years was laughter and joy
Three beautiful girls and a handsome boy.
Then came the worry trouble and strife
That is when sickness entered our life
Hospitals, doctors, questions galore.
Wondering what each week had in store.
No matter how hard lifes troubles became.
We tried so hard to pretend it’s a game.
But nothing prepared us for that last call.
Without Goodbye you left us all.
A heartache forever, your family now share
Gone in a minute, with nobody there.
August 23rd the day we had to part.
But after all these years you’re still in my heart.
Hug all your loved ones.show them you care
Life is precious, treat it with Prayer.
Marie777

Postby Elaine Goulding » Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:28 am

Marie, your post is just lovely and brought tears. It sounds as though you had a wonderful partner in life and one you will never forget. Good memories last forever.
Elaine
Bianca Street, Bootle - moved to Canada 1982
Elaine Goulding

Postby Shelagh » Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:48 am

Well put Marie, lovely verse :)
Last two lines say it all,...
Love is for sharing,
Power of prayer never fails to carry us through life's trials and tribulations!

Thanks Marie :)
Shelagh

Postby sal » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:23 am

Beautiful post Marie it speaks volumes.

Thanks Sal x
sal

Return to Chat about anything with the Bootle Bucks