Has this ever happened to you.

Join in here with our very own Bootle Chatterbox...

Has this ever happened to you.

Postby Shelagh » Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:12 pm

They seem to have gone off eating fish, studies now show that seagulls are preferring pies, pasties, sausage rolls and chips, oh! and a cake for afters!
Can't be doing their health or temperament any good!!
Shelagh

Re: Has this ever happened to you.

Postby graham01 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:41 pm

shelagh....99.99% of herring gulls have never eaten a herring...200 years ago it was the staple of their diet...graham..
origin waterloo.present and future bootle.
graham01

Postby fatboyjoe90 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:07 pm

Shelagh, i believe there is an epidemic of these herring gulls behaving like this, down on the south coast. :o
Cheers Joe.
fatboyjoe90

Postby Shelagh » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:38 pm

Graham and Joe, a study took place a couple of years ago.
As part of the experiment, Gulls along the coastline (pier head to Formby) were offered fish or Junk I.e. pies, cakes, sausage rolls, and biscuits.
The majority went for..the junk!
Wild birds now dining on sugars, animal fats, preservatives, E numbers, colourings and aspartame!
Is it any wonder, councils up and down the country are having problems with Gulls?
The birds are swooping for food, in some cases, becoming vicious!
Scarborough council have hired specially trained Hawks (not to kill) but to deter the Gulls,
North Wales, also having a huge problem with Gulls, but not prepared to take action at present, due to cuts in their budget..warning people to cover up food and keep bins very secure!!

If this is happening to the birds, then it stands to reason, that the junk food we throw away (billions of tons) is also being consumed by our wildlife!
Lord knows what effect this will have on these animals!

Could go on to say, that the fault lies with the greedy fast food industry, but that wouldn't be entirely true, as if it wasn't for the demand, there wouldn't be a fast food industry, then seagulls would be sourcing their food from a natural supply!

Rant over!!
Shelagh

Postby graham01 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:04 pm

Shelagh,ever wondered why there are so many rats around these days?
One of the main reasons is the disgarding of food waste by the public.
Coming back from holiday last month we landed at john lennon at 3 in the morning and feeling peckish we stopped at macdonalds
On arrival there(hunts cross) we saw rubbish all over the csr park with every bin overflowing.
We drove straight through and went to a garage to get al loaf and some sliced meat.just one example of the big multi nationals paying lip service to local councils.
My rant over.graham.
origin waterloo.present and future bootle.
graham01

Postby Shelagh » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:17 pm

Graham, didn't want to mention rat infestation, but I was thinking about this while typing previous post!
Video on YouTube, Bootle north park, plagued with rats, you can see dozens and dozens of them running and playing in the children's play area, video filmed around 8pm (still daylight) absolutely crazy.
What on Earth is happening!!
Shelagh

Postby Patricia » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:26 am

I remember as long ago as the 70's my bro in Kent telling me that the
Gulls went after the filled milk bottles, drinking the milk of a morning
immediately after delivery and they had to get a special container to keep same
in on the porch!
Patricia

Return to Chat about anything with the Bootle Bucks