Near disaster

Join in here with our very own Bootle Chatterbox...

Near disaster

Postby beardedpapa » Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:29 pm

Last Tuesday in Brisbane 3rd October, still only five weeks into spring it got to 35 degrees C. So naturally we switched on the air conditioner and went into the fridge for a cold glass of water. The bottle of water was cold all right but the fridge light didn't come on. I thought it best to go check the power board and as I approached I could smell the burning. One section of the board had burnt out before the safety switch kicked in. I called the number stuck on the side of the board, this was the electrician who had done some recent work. All I got was a message bank asking to leave a message and he would get back to me. I left a message, gave him an hour and decided to ring someone else. The next people came out within 30 minutes and checked the fridge and declared that it was fine but the bad news was the switchboard under the house (60 years old) needed replacing. The long and short of it was that the came out today and replaced the switchboard, checked all the house wiring and we now comply with current Queensland regulations so I can sleep tonight. The sad news is that it cost me $A7000 and it is not covered by insurance. At least I have my house and all possessions and the only thing I've lost is $A7000. Tonight I am celebrating not with a cold glass of water but with a cold glass of wine.
Anyone else living in and old house with old electrics it might pay you to get them checked.
beardedpapa
Born in Walton Hospital, lived in Bala St and then Bowden St Litherland. Now in Brisbane Australia
beardedpapa

Re: Near disaster

Postby filsgreen » Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:42 pm

I feel for you BP, but 60 years is not old for a house. Most of the terraced houses by me are probably near 100 years old. I'd say the majority of the owners would have had replaced the electrics. If I understand you correctly, 7000 dollars seems a lot though to change the consumer unit and check the wiring. You can get a consumer unit from Screwfix for £75. Still worth it for the peace of mind though.
filsgreen

Postby Ernie Jackson. (Bunty) » Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:14 pm

BP.

You head this thread 'Near Disaster' and it seems that the difference between that and 'Disaster' has cost you A$7000.00 (about £4000.00).

To most people this is a lot of money but what would be the cost if you didn't have the electricity problem fixed or, indeed, if you hadn't found the fault in time?

If you consider that then you have paid a price well worth paying and saved the lives you and your family.

I was fortunate to have insurance to cover the cost of a life saving triple bypass. I asked my wife what she would have done if I had been in the hospital at deaths door and we didn't have insurance cover. She had no problem in saying she would have sold everything we had to save my life??

You are a lucky man. Have a good life pal and sleep soundly. You did good.
Ernie Jackson. (Bunty)

Postby Bonesy » Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:59 pm

Hi David,
So pleased that you got sorted averting a potential disaster and a possible tragedy.
We had a full rewire done at our present home about seven years ago costing about £1800.00,a small price to pay for peace of mind.

We had a major fire in our previous home about 33 years ago caused by a an electrical fault to the immersion heater in the bathroom, the house btw was only 9 years old at the time.
Our three children were all under 7 years old at the time.
The fire ignited at approx 02.00am. We including the children were already unconscious when an angel of a man walking his dog kicked our front door in and saved our lives.

David my friend it is a lot of money you have paid out but worth every last penny.
Take care mate.

Keith
SO MANY PEOPLE, MY FAMILY OF FRIENDS
Bonesy

Return to Chat about anything with the Bootle Bucks