Hurricane Irma

Join in here with our very own Bootle Chatterbox...

Hurricane Irma

Postby filsgreen » Sat Sep 09, 2017 4:52 pm

Been watching the progress of hurricane Irma on CNN all day, this is a scary situation. God knows what the situation will be in 48 hours. I just hope all Floridians heed the advice given by the authorities and take shelter. I hope and pray they stay safe and there are not too many fatalities.
filsgreen

Re: Hurricane Irma

Postby Mack » Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:43 am

Been keeping my eye in the sky on this too.

Scary stuff.

Mack
Mack
Site Admin

Postby Shelagh » Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:18 am

Hurricane Irma has strengthened to a category four storm, maximum winds of 139 mph.
Too late for anyone to leave, Florida set to be hit by most catastrophic storm yet!
So terrifying for all those taking cover!

(Will he still insist on no global warming, after all this)
Shelagh

Postby Sheelagh Tequila » Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:43 am

Just watching it on the CNN news Shelagh, living here it`s hard to imagine winds so bad,It`s heartbreaking for all concerned. I wonder what happens to all the wild animals, and just how far do the people have to go to find safety, the mind boggles.

Sheelagh Tequila :?
Sheelagh Tequila

Postby Invicta » Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:20 pm

Very unusual that Tampa on the Gulf threatened, normally more Atlantic side but it's the storm surge they are worried about. :wink: K
Invicta

Postby Invicta » Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:21 pm

Tortola after Irma. My fiend's boat is in there somewhere. We have chartered his vessel a couple of times when there on a cruise. :(
Its taken from his FB page. His Family & Colleagues all safe but the Island is devastated and his livliehood gone.
Invicta

Postby Matt » Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:53 pm

Hard to believe but Sheila and I where in Key West in April celebrating her birthday at a beautiful waterfront bar
and restaurant.So many wonderful houses there.Ernest Hemingway House,the Truman Whitehouse. Highest point
of land is only 18 feet above sea level and that is only for about acre and the storm surge is expected to be at least 10 feet.
Sorry for your friends loss Ken one of our friends is a schoolteacher in the Turks and Caicos and all that
is left of his school is one wall and his little house has 3 walls standing but no roof and there's another 2 hurricanes ready to hit.
Matt
Matt

Postby Invicta » Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:16 pm

Hi Matt,
When I was US based in the Plywood business we loved Hurricane season as any kind of a serious blow would add 30 to 50% on the price and production was sold out for months. Later when I returned to the UK, I would buy big volumes of Southern Yellow Pine Plywood before the season to ship and arrive here as the storms commenced.
Mercenary, I know, but that was how the trade worked and we made a lot of money which buffered us in lean times.
Like I said we loved that season but despise it now seeing the impact on those lovely Islands. :wink: Ken
Invicta

Postby scouser » Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:23 am

Well just got past irma, was that a long time going. (Thank who ever for MERLOT).

Winds started like a lamb, Saturday around 2pm, then started growling like a junk-yard dog.
Power went off Sat - night,
Then the train started arriving, then from early Sunday we had the winds & rain until 10pm .
Now on Monday, we just have to deal with the TS.
scouser

Postby Matt » Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:16 am

Stay safe scouser.Do not do anything stupid like that surfer or the paddle boarder.Sheelagh you
asked about wild animals during the hurricane.There was a wonderful video clip of a bunch of people
who had found two manatees washed up high on the beach.They all gathered around them and carried them back to the water
about 100 metres away but they stayed with them pouring water over them until enough people showed up to help with the carrying.https://youtu.be/vbrDDCcNfqM
Only a short bit was actually video taped and put on youtube but there is longer one of dolphins being rescued
https://youtu.be/RlYdWnXClAs
Matt
Matt

Return to Chat about anything with the Bootle Bucks