Commonwealth Games

Join in here with our very own Bootle Chatterbox...

Commonwealth Games

Postby Invicta » Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:24 pm

Birmingham preferred over Liverpool as U.K. choice to host Commonwealth Games in 2022.
Very disappointing for Scouser. :( Ken
Invicta

Re: Commonwealth Games

Postby Joycen60 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:31 pm

I am disappointed for Liverpool as I am sure they would have put on a great show. I guess the fact that Birmingham already have the Alexandria Stadium helped but it really will need a big upgrade.

On the bright side though I can go to Birmingham just for the day so hopefully will get tickets for some of the events.
Lived Olive grove- just in Bootle. Schools Netherton Moss A, Netherton Park and Bootle Girls Grammar
Joycen60

Postby Invicta » Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:47 pm

Upgrade or build a new stadium Joyce. I wonder if that decision will impact on EFC plans to develop Bramley Moore Dock . Very disappointing. Ken
Invicta

Postby Matt » Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:17 pm

The City of Victoria BC voted to turn down the Games that is why Birmingham or Liverpool
where being considered.They priced it out to over 900 million dollars and NOTHING ever come out to
the original estimate there are always overruns
Matt
Matt

Postby bjones » Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:44 pm

Very disappointed at the outcome. Liverpool put a huge effort into their bid. Can only think that Birmingham won out as Manchester, the last England city to host the games, was in the North West.
Bee

"Life" is a gift to you. The way you live your life is your gift to those who come after.
bjones

Postby WatsonTommy » Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:55 pm

did anyone hear the first news bulletin this afternoon we never got the games as there were not enough ethnic people living here :roll:
WatsonTommy

Postby henry » Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:12 pm

Birmngham are run by the Tories (Say no more)
HENRY BORN FLORIDA STREET OFF STRAND ROAD
henry

Postby EdMcDonald » Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:16 pm

henry wrote:Birmngham are run by the Tories (Say no more)

But are the Tories ethnic. :roll:
Home of the "Edmonton Oilers"
EdMcDonald

Postby Invicta » Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:32 pm

At this stage the competition was only to decide which would be the UK city to go into the hat. No games awarded to any country yet. Good luck to Birmingham to bring it to the UK. Like Matt said the number of Commonwealth countries that want it or can afford it is less and less. At least from recent games we can see the UK public support such events with good attendance. :wink: Ken
Invicta

Postby Invicta » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:25 pm

henry wrote:Birmngham are run by the Tories (Say no more)

I'll say more Henry, you're wrong, it's Labour. Ken
Invicta

Postby fatboyjoe90 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:36 pm

Spot on Ken. :wink: :)

Henry The Mayor of Birmingham is Councillor Anne Underwood, who is a Conservative sorry H. :wink: :)

I thought politics was a No-no on this site. :)
Cheers Joe.
fatboyjoe90

Postby Shelagh » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:47 pm

Sad about Liverpool losing bid, but well done Birmingham, their bid was obviously stronger, perhaps because of location, perhaps because of Alexander stadium, Villa Park and Birmingham Arena, already in place :)
Whatever reason, best wishes Birmingham :wink:
Shelagh

Postby fatboyjoe90 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:55 pm

Absolutely Shelagh. :wink:
Cheers Joe.
fatboyjoe90

Postby Matt » Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:26 pm

Victoria the capital of British Columbia hosted the games in 1994 and our daughter Sarah was at the University
of Victoria at the time and was in fact was a member of the choir and a volunteer at the opening and closing ceremonies.
It was a resounding success all sports events were sold out a long time in advance and in fact Sarah even though she was a volunteer
could not get any tickets to any of the events.What upset her most was the fact that she gave up her room at the university accommodation
building so as the visiting athletes could use the whole of U Vic for training, food services etc.
All the infrastructure for the '94 games is still there and in use but still just to upgrade existing venues was going to cost in excess of $900 million
No wonder S. Africa rethought their bid and said "sorry,no can do"
Matt
Matt

Postby Invicta » Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:21 am

I've read a bit more on this. Birmingham's bid was cheaper and more easily deliverable than the Liverpool bid probably because of the existing stadium which is cheaper to upgrade rather than build a new one with all the required infrastructure.
Matt, the U.K. Has a good record on stadia building and huge attendances at athletic events.
Since 2012 the main competitions have been very well attended but it is very much governed by the success of the local teams and attending "superstars".
The UK has funnelled lots of Lottery money in to Athletics so we've had some success and the boys and girls are well known here. Also with people like Usain Bolt starring, he always packed them in. The Commonwealths don't have the same appeal and Usain has retired so as an organiser or bidder I'd be very wary about bidding for so far ahead.
FYI , Matt the 2012 Olympic Stadium is now the home of West Ham United FC and the fans hate it. Ken
Invicta

Postby Bernie R » Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:09 am

Local TV news this morning suggests Liverpool could well throw its hat into the ring for the 2026 games (in the event that Birmingham don't get 2022).
Born and raised in Romeo Street, later Lambeth Walk, Jersey Close, Garden Place, Hawthorne Rd, Gonville Rd now Netherton
Bernie R

Postby henry » Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:48 pm

fatboyjoe90 wrote:Spot on Ken. :wink: :)

Henry The Mayor of Birmingham is Councillor Anne Underwood, who is a Conservative sorry H. :wink: :)

I thought politics was a No-no on this site. :)

I THOUGHT CONSERVATIVES WERE TORIES :?:
HENRY BORN FLORIDA STREET OFF STRAND ROAD
henry

Return to Chat about anything with the Bootle Bucks