Britain at low tide

Join in here with our very own Bootle Chatterbox...

Britain at low tide

Postby filsgreen » Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:16 pm

Anyone interested in local history should watch this week's episode because they highlight the Sefton coastline. One of the articles focus on the WW2 rubble that was dumped at Hightown, which mainly came from Bootle. They also spoke about the thousand of tons of tobacco waste dumped by British Nicotine on the dunes around Formby. Sefton had the world's first lifeboat station, based at Formby.
filsgreen

Re: Britain at low tide

Postby graham01 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:23 pm

whats the name of the programme..graham...
origin waterloo.present and future bootle.
graham01

Postby Bonesy » Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:29 pm

Phil & Graham, think you you will find this as fascinating as I did.

http://bootlecollateral.blogspot.co.uk/

Keith
SO MANY PEOPLE, MY FAMILY OF FRIENDS
Bonesy

Postby filsgreen » Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:51 pm

Its called, Britain at low tide, Graham.
filsgreen

Postby filsgreen » Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:54 pm

Thanks Keith I've seen those photos and read the stories, very poignant.
filsgreen

Postby graham01 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:47 pm

Thanks to all.great info.graham
origin waterloo.present and future bootle.
graham01

Postby bjones » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:22 am

Watched this prog last night and can't believe I have no recollection of the wrecked ship Pegu said to be visible right along the coast :(

I felt a bit confused when they kept referring to the war time rubble at Hightown, They appeared to be on the path alongside the West Lanc's golf course which was definitely in Blundellsands Crosby L23 last time I walked that way. Didn't we used to call that part of the coast "The Erosion"?

Nearly forgot to say "thanks Keith" for great link; fab pix, last bit about Anfield Cemetery is very moving.
Bee

"Life" is a gift to you. The way you live your life is your gift to those who come after.
bjones

Postby Shelagh » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:37 am

Bee, I didn't see the programme, but viewed the blog, thought exactly the same as you!
People around here have always referred to that part of Blundellsands as The Erosion!
Remember reading an article in the Crosby Herald, telling of the history about the area, it mentioned, "Grand Houses" that once stood along the coastline (Hall road to Hightown)..
Even went on to mention, some interesting finds, artifacts left behind by residents who once occupied these homes!
This being the reason why so many metal detectors are used along that part of coastline!
There was a talk given a while ago, about a fort that also existed on that same part of coastline, still in use during WW2..

All interesting stuff-good post Keith :wink:
Shelagh

Postby Shelagh » Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:43 am

Just found this little piece of information on Wiki..
In 1926 the erosion of the sand dunes near the Serpentine, brought the sides of several large houses down. The River Alt at Formby and Hightown were a major cause to the erosion of the banks of the River Mersey at Crosby.
The sea moving ever closer, brought about the total demolition of the residences. Over the years since the erosion the site has become a promenade for walkers, with a car park with a view!
(So this would mean, demolished houses at Blundellsands would be to the left of coastguard station at Hall Road, and the Bootle wartime rubble to the right)
Bootle wartime rubble still remaining, mainly alongside new coastal path, will try and get a few pictures!

Another bit of info about Fort Crosby!

Hightown Beach is the site of a former wartime military base known as fort Crosby.
The fort was situated midway between Hightown and Hall Road and housed a number of Italian and German POWs during WW2.
Following its decommission at the end of the war a small Cinema Screen within the complex was reputedly used by local residents for a number of years until the camp was finally demolished in the mid - 1960s.
Remains of many of the buildings, pathways and fences can still be seen today!!

Never really noticed before, must take time more time to look :)
Shelagh

Postby filsgreen » Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:18 pm

From what I gathered, Shelagh, is the West Lancs golf club was built upon the rubble and as the sea erodes the dunes and grass, more and more of the rubble is exposed.

Think how much of Liverpool and Bootle was destroyed by the blitz? There must have been tons more than what is visible now, dumped there.

An archaeological expert identified a five foot piece of masonry, that was part of the dock building, which was situated by the present police headquarters on the Strand. It was much like the bombed out church, after the Luftwaffe had visited. So all of its exterior walls must have ended up at Blundellsands.
filsgreen

Postby Shelagh » Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:53 pm

Thank you Phil..was starting to doubt my own memory :roll:
Can clearly recall as a child, getting the train from Marsh Lane station with many older children from our street, would set off to Hall Road during the summer holiday's.
Would get off train at Hall Road, then immediately clamber up and over steep mounds of rubble..we became experts at it, don't recall a footpath back then, certainly can't remember a Golf Course, us children knew every inch of that area, even knew the times of the tide, and location of dangerous spots (quick sand patches) certainly would have remembered Golf course!
Have checked this out, but according to their website, they have been there since the 1800s!

Need to solve this mystery, Phil :?
Shelagh

Postby john j connell » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:11 pm

Going off thread a bit but still related to that part of the coast.
I was fascinated by the story of how Hall Road Station came into existence, the story goes that a wealthy merchant by the name of Joseph Gardner (more than likely the Gardners involved in the timber trade) was tired of having to walk to and from Blundellsands station each day, so he requested that the railway company (at the time it was the Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway Company) build a halt/station near to where he lived.
The railway company replied that there where not enough dwellings to warrant a further halt in that area and that there would need to be at least 5 new dwellings in that area before a new station could be built.
Joseph Gardner wasted no time and set about building the 5 new dwellings and the L Y R true to their word built the station that opened in 1874,
Money talks. JJC.
john j connell

Postby filsgreen » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:21 pm

Youre right there, John, money certainly talks. Do you reckon he is the Gardner in Gardner Avenue?
filsgreen

Postby Shelagh » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:54 am

John, all very interesting, looked into the 'Joseph Gardner' name and conection to Blundellsands..
You are right, this is the same person, very wealthy timber merchant from Liverpool..
But so much more to this very strange family...documentery made about the life of one of his infamous grandsons!!

Tap into - The Strange And Frightening Tale Of Blundellsands Origional 'Wicca man' :shock:
Shelagh

Postby john j connell » Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:58 pm

Thanks for that Shelagh, i have just spent the best part of 1 hour reading about Gerald Bosseau Gardner, very interesting read, once again thank you. JJC.
john j connell

Postby Glenys » Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:03 pm

The Joseph Gardner company owned a very large house on Crosby Road South, facing the Seaforth container base; it is still there. I can remember all the timber stacked on the yard alongside. A family friend used to cook for the family and staff during the day.

G
Lived Linacre Lane, Trinity Road & Knowsley Road.
Glenys

Postby billygooner » Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:00 pm

hi glynis, my wife worked there in 1957-1959 . she remembers a nancy who worked on the switch board. regards billy.
billygooner

Postby Shelagh » Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:47 am

Glenys, the Gardner house on Crosby Rd, must have been close to the sweet shop, opposite Potters Barn (giant Ice cream cone outside) always made a beeline for that place, after a day out at the Shore :)

Joseph Gardner Way in Bootle..Peel/Salisbury Rd. built on the site of Joseph Gardner timber yard!

So much influence in Blundellsands, Joseph Gardner and family involved in everything, including law, politics, church, golf club, truant school at Hightown, list goes on and on, so much control over one little area!

The home of Gerald Bosseau Gardner (grandson) still standing and still inhabited, it's an enormous spooky looking place, situated high up on the Serpentine, opposite the green, very close to Hall Road!
Shelagh

Postby john j connell » Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:39 pm

One of the photographs on the collateral blogspot shows a piece of masonry with the inscription RB 1856, on my travels i have noticed on the Red Lion pub in Seaforth the inscription RB 1905 (any pic Bob).
I was wondering if it could perhaps be the same person, and if it was, who was he and would it be possible to locate where the 1856 building stood, what happened to it and what it was used for. JJC.
john j connell

Return to Chat about anything with the Bootle Bucks