Your first car

Join in here with our very own Bootle Chatterbox...

Your first car

Postby Bill fawcett » Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:37 am

What are your memories of your very first car, and did you give it a name?

When our kids were about 5years old we could not afford to buy a car, and my dad bought us an old cream coloured Morris Minor from a small car showroom on the corner of Astor St/Breeze Hill in Walton. It cost him £80 and the kids christened it Fred. They still talk about us going up The Great Orme and the car was really struggling and so everyone was laughing and bouncing up and down in the car trying to get it to the top. We eventually succeeded and the kids thought it was hilarious.
We had 'Fred' for about 4 years and when we had to get rid of him, everyone was down in the dumps for a while.

Let's hear your stories of your first car :D

Bill
Bill fawcett

Re: Your first car

Postby Joycen60 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:57 am

My First car was also a Morris Minor that cost £80!. It still had the flaps coming out the side for indicators until I bought some proper ones- unfortunately when a friend installed them for me he got the wiring wrong so if I tried to turn I had the front one flashing on the right and the back one on the left!

That was my first one- must have had about 20 old bangers with lots of tales to tell before I bought my first relatively new car when I retired!
Lived Olive grove- just in Bootle. Schools Netherton Moss A, Netherton Park and Bootle Girls Grammar
Joycen60

Postby scotty » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:06 am

My first car was a canary yellow VW Beetle.The starter motor never worked and so I had to push start it.I guess I must have been in good shape in them days.Sadly it was destroyed (along with my house) by an I.R.A. bomb, when they bombed my army married quarter in N.I. they parked the car bomb behind my beloved old Beetle.I think I paid about a hundred quid for it.
All gave some
Some gave all
scotty

Postby Bonesy » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:30 am

Mine in 1971 was a 1963 Mini bought it from Westminster Motors it had a Bootle reg number
CEM 693.
It was a rust bucket back then.

Keith
SO MANY PEOPLE, MY FAMILY OF FRIENDS
Bonesy

Postby BossHogg » Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:13 am

My first car was a Ford Fiesta, I bought it from Peoples In Bootle when I got promoted to corporal in the military police back in 1988. It wasn't a bad car and gave me plenty of freedom. ;)
BossHogg

Postby Ernie Jackson. (Bunty) » Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:46 am

Standard 8. LBU148 (Wish I still had that number) Oldham Regisration) Ripped off when I bought it for £480.00 in 1960.
Took me three hours to travel exactly 100 miles to Coniston when there were no motorways.
No internet then either and juice five bob a gallon but I couldn't even afford to fill the small tank. Happy days long gone. :roll:
Ernie Jackson. (Bunty)

Postby filsgreen » Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:06 am

Mine was an Audi 100, £2000 back in 1982. The unusual thing about it, had five cylinders. :D
filsgreen

Postby henry » Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:41 am

Mine was a silver ghost rolls Royce but to expensive to run so I gave it to my chauffer :)
HENRY BORN FLORIDA STREET OFF STRAND ROAD
henry

Postby Ernie Jackson. (Bunty) » Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:43 am

I saw that in Seaforth with the Number RED 1....Thought you were Stalin. :oops: :oops:
Ernie Jackson. (Bunty)

Postby ken » Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:53 pm

Mine was a 1937 Y model Ford with a running board. It was older than me and cost me £10. I ran it for three years and was very unhappy when it had to go to the scrapyard. I learnt a lot about how to keep a car going and how to effect emergency repairs - chewing works for example when you have a leak in your petrol tank Going uphill in the rain was a real adventure too because the wipers were hydraulic. The steeper the hill the slower the wipers went. Going over the Pennines up to Beverley nearly killed it and me. Also the roof leaked. Nearly broke my wrist a few times using the starter handle which liked to kick back just to show me who was boss. But it helped when I offered to take a girl home and said I had a car.....

Ken
Roberts, Allison are the Bootle names I'm interested in.

Thorp(e), Ballard, Parry, Lucas, Dodd, Jacobson, are Liverpool ancestors.
ken

Postby filsgreen » Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:24 pm

I would have loved to have seen the girls face when she saw it Ken :lol:
filsgreen

Postby Patricia » Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:19 pm

Our first car was a 1950 Volkswagon bought in Germany in 1960 .
The upholstery was shot and can you believe it, I made by "Hand"
red flowered covers for the interior, both front and back seats. It
really was a conversation piece until Lew slid under the
back end of a Truck one icy winter day coming to pick me
up from work in Mainz-Kastel. It happened right outside our office window
and we all witnessed same!! He was extremely lucky that the
Truck was already parked!! Lew said although he had applied
the brakes, the darn thing just would not stop!! :D
We had however travelled all over Germany in it, it was a great
car!!

Patricia

Postby Matt » Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:57 pm

I never learned to drive a car until 1974 when I was 32.No need for a car on a destroyer or submarine :)
also no need for a car in a logging/sawmill town with 1 mile of paved road on the NW coast of Vancouver Island
so my first car was a 1965 Toyota Corona and was our passport out of the logging camp and a NEW job
in civilization.
Matt
Matt

Postby ken » Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:49 am

[

Hope this works - First time I've tried to use Mack's instruction re. posting via Postimage.

If it has worked you should be able to see NOT my first car - I don't have a picture of that but I do have one of the FIRST (and only) car I bought when I spent a year working in Buffalo N.Y. in 1975/6.
It was a six cylinder Dodge Polara which had been kept in Georgia for eight years so no rust. As well as being automatic, it had everything you could think of including air conditioning and stereo radio, plus the most enormous boot (trunk) I've ever seen - I had to climb into it to load things in just behind the back passenger seats when we went camping with our children.

It did 12m.p.g.

In the States that didn't matter because "gas" was so cheap.When I got back to England a year later I was convinced the car manufacturers had started building smaller cars!

Ken

ken

Postby filsgreen » Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:37 pm

That reminds me of the Streets of San Francisco tv programme :D
filsgreen

Postby Bonesy » Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:15 am

ken wrote:[

Hope this works - First time I've tried to use Mack's instruction re. posting via Postimage.

If it has worked you should be able to see NOT my first car - I don't have a picture of that but I do have one of the FIRST (and only) car I bought when I spent a year working in Buffalo N.Y. in 1975/6.
It was a six cylinder Dodge Polara which had been kept in Georgia for eight years so no rust. As well as being automatic, it had everything you could think of including air conditioning and stereo radio, plus the most enormous boot (trunk) I've ever seen - I had to climb into it to load things in just behind the back passenger seats when we went camping with our children.

It did 12m.p.g.

In the States that didn't matter because "gas" was so cheap.When I got back to England a year later I was convinced the car manufacturers had started building smaller cars!

Ken

Thats a beaut Ken. Ive re sized it for you

Keith
Bonesy

Postby ken » Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:33 am

Thanks very much Keith - I couldn't quite get the hang of sizing it properly.
Bought an Austin A40 when I got back. Worst car I ever had. Called it the blu B*******. Might be another topic people on this site couldtell stories about....

Ken

ken

Postby Bonesy » Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:44 am

Ken, Buffalo brings back memories.
Back in 1967 when I was 13 a list of names and addresses for a pen friend came around our school Warwick Bolam. I chose a girl called Lucy Guz same age as me and she lived in Lackawanna, Buffalo.
We are still in touch 50 years on. Her name is now Sikorskyj and they live in Angola on Lake Erie, NY.

Keith
Bonesy

Postby bjones » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:25 pm

Wow Keith, 50 years is pretty impressive, many of us had pen-pals as youngsters but mostly they petered out after a year or so...

My first car... OK, so I'm probably the worst driver ever to pass a test. I took lessons for 7 years during which time I owned 2 bangers, a Chevette and a Viva but never drove either of them. I eventually gave up trying with those ridiculous gears and clutch things and bought myself a ten year old brown automatic mini in which I had lessons and finally passed a test. I loved that car. It would regularly refuse to go again if I stopped for the lights etc so I was instructed by my mechanic to carry a "five eighths" spanner with me and "adjust" a nut thing whenever this happened. I became very good at this. Once I started having to travel for work I needed something more reliable so got a Metro.....which I wrote off. Followed that with a beautiful red Renault...which I wrote off. Don't think I had either of them long enough to name them.
Bee

"Life" is a gift to you. The way you live your life is your gift to those who come after.
bjones

Postby Shelagh » Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:06 pm

First car of mine "Ford Fiesta" was an absolute jinx,, never had a bit of luck with the thing from the moment it arrived..broken into twice, engine blew up on motorway, had to replace clutch and exhaust...finally finished up being wrapped around traffic lights on Spellow Lane, after being stollen :shock:
Next car; my lovely little "Nissan Micra" three door hatchback..never let me down, ran for years and years, took me everywhere, carried all sorts of weight, including some very heavy passengers, never a problem :D
Sad day when little Micra conked out, hardly surprising though...considering amount of abuse she'd taken over the years :cry:

Shelagh

Postby Shelagh » Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:12 pm

Patricia, had to smile :) saw this car in Crosby today, thought of you :wink: :D
Shelagh

Postby philrob » Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:01 am

My first car - a bluey-green 1964 Volkswagen Beetle - I bought from my mate for $400.00 in 1969.

I drove that car all over the place regularly driving to different parts of New South Wales, mainly with my first real girl-friend.

I remember being up at her parent's place 400 kilometres west of Sydney. I had to catch a plane that night from Sydney up to a place called Grafton on the North Coast because I was touring with a show. Guess who missed the plane and then had to drive to Grafton overnight, in winter with my girl friend for company
A distance of 630 kilometres, it took me eleven hours to drive up the old Pacific Highway, some of which was still dirt road. I made it to Grafton in time, put Kerrie on a plane back to Sydney a day later and then had to drive back to Sydney with the car on the Friday night! I then flew back up to Northern NSW on the Sunday to catch up with the show again.

Loved the Beetle, eventually replace by a Holden sedan, which was a whole new story! :)

I
Philrob

Western Australia
philrob

Postby BossHogg » Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:30 am

My manager drives a Holden Camaro, a beast of a car!!!
BossHogg

Return to Chat about anything with the Bootle Bucks