Daffodil and Iris

Join in here with our very own Bootle Chatterbox...

Daffodil and Iris

Postby marknjen » Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:51 pm

Went to watch Dunkirk last night at cinema, really enjoyed it! Got me thinking about our Mersey ferries going down to Dunkirk to help out, now I always thought they were called Royal Daff and Iris because of what they done in Dunkirk, but if I've read they were already "Royal" when they went down! I think they done a mission to zebrugger in WW1 I think. King named them Royal after this event! If I'm wrong please correct me as I'm very interested in this now! Thanks
marknjen

Re: Daffodil and Iris

Postby paulmack » Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:09 pm

This should help you, Mark.

Little Ships of Dunkirk From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (Redirected from Little ships of Dunkirk)

Royal Daffodil the River Mersey ferry evacuated 7,461 service personnel from Dunkirk in five trips between 28 May and 2 June among them the French historian Marc Bloch,[ who served as a captain in the campaign. This was the largest number evacuated by a single passenger vessel in the operation. On 2 June, she was attacked by six German aircraft. A bomb dropped by one of them penetrated two of her decks and blew a hole below the water line, but she managed to limp back to port.
paulmack

Postby lily8 » Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:23 pm

Lily
lily8

Postby marknjen » Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:08 pm

marknjen

Return to Chat about anything with the Bootle Bucks