BC on fire

Join in here with our very own Bootle Chatterbox...

BC on fire

Postby Matt » Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:47 pm

A Province wide state of emergency has been issued for British Columbia
At least 400 wildfires are burning due to lightning strikes.The largest is over 200,000 acres
in size.The Okanagan Valley is the centre of most of the fires .Vancouver Island is very lucky at the
moment as here are only3 burning.Whole towns and villages are being evacuated as most of
the fires are out of control.
Matt
Matt

Re: BC on fire

Postby BossHogg » Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:09 pm

Bloody hell! I have relatives in BC, they're in Vancouver.
BossHogg

Postby Matt » Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:34 pm

Tom,the closest fire to Vancouver is in Whistler at the base of Blackcomb Mountain.
That is where the Winter Olympics where held in 2010 and is quite some way away
from Vancouver city.
Matt
Matt

Postby BossHogg » Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:37 pm

I cant recall what part of Vancouver they live in. I have an aunt an uncle, 3 cousins and their families.
BossHogg

Postby Matt » Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:42 pm

They just announced Tom that the Whistler fire although still burning has been contained .
Matt
Matt

Postby EdMcDonald » Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:03 pm

Not good news that Matt. Ft McMurray last year and now BC.
Maybe I,m to blame. Spent an hour at a veterans party last week. One of the songs that were sung was " Keep the home fires burning" :oops: :cry:
Smoke from the fires has already crossed the Rockies into Alberta.
Home of the "Edmonton Oilers"
EdMcDonald

Postby BossHogg » Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:25 pm

Matt wrote:They just announced Tom that the Whistler fire although still burning has been contained .
Matt

Thanks for letting me know. ;)
BossHogg

Postby Matt » Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:43 am

Watch out Ed.Big thunderstorm,hail,rain ,wind and tornado alert for Sherwood Park
Be safe mate.
Matt
Matt

Postby lily8 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:45 am

Take care all Forum friends in BC
Lily
lily8

Postby Invicta » Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:51 am

How is it up Kelowna way Matt? Stay safe all. Ken
Invicta

Postby Matt » Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:36 pm

Hi Ken thanks for your concern.At the moment Kelowna is OK but
the surrounding areas of Kamloops are a disaster. Williams Lake is being evacuated
a whole First Nations village has been burned to the ground.At the moment there are over 14,000
people evacuated.Cache Creek and Ashcroft are the hardest hit.More lightning strikes last night
300 fire fighters on their way from the prairie provinces.100 Mile House in the Cariboo has just been ordered evacuated

https://youtu.be/JXmcCnlnKzc
https://youtu.be/KhOTp8k4Rmc
Matt
Matt

Postby Invicta » Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:24 pm

Looks pretty grim Matt, such a beautiful area as well. Ken
Invicta

Postby EdMcDonald » Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:22 pm

Smoke and air quality aren,t too bad here today. Maybe the firefighters are getting on top of some of the fires. Still a bad situation could get worse with high winds and no rain in the forecast.
EdMcDonald

Postby WatsonTommy » Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:27 pm

we have problems here too the kirkstone pub went on fire last week :!: a man name tim martin is allegedly was under investigation :D
WatsonTommy

Postby Shelagh » Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:57 am

Dreadful situation for those people in BC..homes and livelihoods being destroyed!

Over six hundred fires at the last count, thousands of people affected, can't begin to imagine
the fear, stress, and heartache that these people are having to deal with..let's hope our Canadian friends stay safe, and the fires soon come to an end..such a disaster :(

Shelagh!
Shelagh

Postby Matt » Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:35 am

Thank you to those who worried about us in BC.
It may be a big joke to you Tommy but believe me it is NO joke to the 20,000 who have had to be
evacuated or the hundreds of firefighters putting their lives on the line fighting these terrible wildfires
while some of their houses burned to the ground.
How about the First Nations peoples that have had everything they owned destroyed.
Will you still make dumb remarks when some of the hero firefighters are caught in wind shift fire storm and are killed.
Matt

Postby graham » Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:19 am

looks like my yearly fishing trip with my two sons at loon Lake north of Cache Creek will not be happening this year. I feel sorry for those who have had to leave their houses. They have nothing no house no job no clothes no money My heart goes out to them. Then some miserable guy robs their house. The punishment I would give if they are caught would be to lay their hand flat on a stone and give it bloody good hard smack with a baseball bat. Both hands. They would never steal again
graham

Postby Matt » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:36 pm

Some houses burned to the ground in Loon Lake Graham.
Nearly 40,000 people evacuated to Kamloops,Kelowna Prince George
Williams Lake a ghost town.A couple of fires met up so the largest is now over 100,000 acres.
Towns in the Okanagan are getting filled up so evacuees are on their way to the towns round Vancouver.
The high winds have driven the fires to about 3 miles away from Williams Lake.I pray that that does not
end up like the Alberta fire last year in Fort McMurray.Over 2,000 firefighters on the front line.
G-d keep them safe.
Matt
Matt

Postby Invicta » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:15 pm

Very sad Matt, that's the part of BC I knew most, the beautiful Okanagan. In my prayers tonight. Ken
Invicta

Postby WatsonTommy » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:09 pm

the kirkstone pub in litherland went on fire last week nothing on the news except the champion local paper :roll: tim martin under allergardy under suspicion :D
WatsonTommy

Postby filsgreen » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:16 pm

Arr ay Tom, I'm all for gallow humour, but there's a time and a place. Unless you want someone to bite?
filsgreen

Postby WatsonTommy » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:23 pm

hot off the press phil had a mate once with two wooden legs his house went on fire he was burnt to the ground as he wasn't insured he never had a leg to stand on :D
WatsonTommy

Postby dorothy834 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:37 pm

Tommy there are times your sense of humor is very warped
this subject is akin to ww2 when houses were bombed to the ground
no laughing matter...
and you an army man did you not see any tragedy in your days of service
I like a laugh as much as the next person but you go beyond boundaries
Dorothy
dorothy834
dorothy834

Postby WatsonTommy » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:32 pm

yes and the scouse sense of humour got me through it all :D do don't get hot under the collar its been a hot day today so dot cool down put a a damper on it you are inflamed about my comments take no notice :roll:
WatsonTommy

Postby dorothy834 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:55 pm

Tommy ..I love scouse humor and I have grown up with it
but not to the extent of what you write having your house
burnt down and all you have is what you stand up in don't
expect all will have insurance to start again so just what can
A family do.. in another story I would laugh at your quips but
can't when it involves such saddnes and destruction I can't help
being a sympathetic kind of person I'm sure you are too deep down
just let it show sometime. ..I'll put the damper on now it's too hot as you say...
DOROTHY. ..not DOT..thankyou
dorothy834
dorothy834

Postby Matt » Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:52 am

Air quality in British Columbia and as far down as the States of Washington and Oregon is very
poor due to the massive fires still burning. Sheila and I were about to leave for a friends place in the Okanagan Valley
but their air quality is 49, anything over 10 is cause for alarm.Even on Vancouver Island which is over 500 klms away
our air index is 18 so we have had to cancel our trip and we are staying indoors as much as possible.Lots of sorrow
for the cattle and horse ranchers in the Cariboo region.Their herds have been scattered and goodness knows how many
animals have survived.Up to now over 4,700 km2 have been burned(about 8 times the size of Merseyside) and there's over
100 fires still burning.Aussies,Americans and Mexicans have come to help us.G-d Bless them.
Matt
Matt

Postby Silver-Haired-Hippy » Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:39 am

So sad and very sorry to hear it is still so awful and distressing there Matt, my sister-in-law keeps us updated, she lives in Calgary. My heart goes out to all the people and animals affected by the fires and the smoke. Keep safe and thinking of you.

Loretta
A bit of Bootle in Wales
Silver-Haired-Hippy

Postby bjones » Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:27 am

Thanks for the update Matt.. First thing I wondered about what i saw you'd returned. Amazingly there's been nothing on our news about the fires.
Stay safe.
Bee

"Life" is a gift to you. The way you live your life is your gift to those who come after.
bjones

Postby Matt » Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:54 pm

Thank you for your kind thoughts Loretta and Bee.I was thinking about Ricks sister Loretta
when we touched down in Calgary going and coming back from Las Vegas.Very hazy at Calgary airport
when we came back, beautiful clear skies over Victoria but the wind changed direction 2 days ago and
we have not seen blue sky(even though it is 30 degrees) or the sun since.Most of the song birds we have in
our garden have disappeared as have the 10 to 15 hummingbirds at my 7 nectar feeders.Hope we get rain soon.
I do not now how my mate Ed is doing in Edmonton or how bad the smoke is there.Stay safe mate.
Matt
Matt

Postby EdMcDonald » Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:22 pm

Matt wrote:Thank you for your kind thoughts Loretta and Bee.I was thinking about Ricks sister Loretta
when we touched down in Calgary going and coming back from Las Vegas.Very hazy at Calgary airport
when we came back, beautiful clear skies over Victoria but the wind changed direction 2 days ago and
we have not seen blue sky(even though it is 30 degrees) or the sun since.Most of the song birds we have in
our garden have disappeared as have the 10 to 15 hummingbirds at my 7 nectar feeders.Hope we get rain soon.
I do not now how my mate Ed is doing in Edmonton or how bad the smoke is there.Stay safe mate.
Matt

Not too bad here today Matt. Slight drizzle and pretty humid. Skies are clearing though. Sound like southern Alberta might be in for a bad fire season now. :shock:
EdMcDonald

Postby Matt » Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:42 pm

Ed I just hope it stays out of the rest of Banff Park.It would be a national disaster if anything was to
happen to the town. Hope you get some heavy rain soon. Worst fire season in over 60 years in BC.
30 degrees here in Duncan and that is without the sun beating down.Cannot see our 2 little mountains
in front of our house(about 3 klms away)too much smoke haze.
Matt
Matt

Postby Matt » Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:55 pm

Hi Ken,they are starting to evacuate parts of Kelowna(about 25 klms away and 1100 people)
19 fires merged into one huge blaze in the Cariboo .Over 1 million acres in that one fire.
Small herd of wild horses along with some moose and lots of deer caught in the blaze and died.
Looks as if they are going to have to let nature take its course and let it burn itself out
during the next couple of months until the rains come.Some of our beautiful National Parks
are closed which in turn makes it very difficult for long distance truck drivers with all the traffic
detours.
Matt
Matt

Postby Bonesy » Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:36 pm

Matt, only just seen this post, sounds pretty bad.
Hope that you and yours are safe and well.
Take care buddy....

Keith
SO MANY PEOPLE, MY FAMILY OF FRIENDS
Bonesy

Postby Invicta » Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:58 pm

Cheers Matt,
Understand my friend in Kelowna retired and moved to Vancouver where his kids are.
It's all very sad Matt, such a beautiful area. Ken
Invicta

Postby fatboyjoe90 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:07 pm

I hope you are all well and safe in BC, guys.
Cheers Joe.
fatboyjoe90

Next

Return to Chat about anything with the Bootle Bucks