Fire London

Join in here with our very own Bootle Chatterbox...

Fire London

Postby lily8 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:01 am

So very sad, I was watching with tears in my eyes it would seem that there will be fatalities thoughts are with those affected.
Lily
lily8

Re: Fire London

Postby Bernie R » Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:47 am

Horrendous Lily - even though diferent cause and setting it brings memories of 9/11.
Born and raised in Romeo Street, later Lambeth Walk, Jersey Close, Garden Place, Hawthorne Rd, Gonville Rd now Netherton
Bernie R

Postby Thommos sister » Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:56 am

What brave Firefighters & Rescue Services. Horrendous pictures, so very very sad. T.S
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-06-14/d ... re/8617158
Thommos sister

Postby Shelagh » Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:53 am

So horrendous, those poor victims..so tragic!!
Shelagh

Postby filsgreen » Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:12 pm

I would be very surprised if there were only six fatalities. It's too early to call, but I would guess that the cladding has an awful lot to do with this tragedy. My thoughts are with the residents, hopefully there will be a fund set up to help all of them.
filsgreen

Postby bjones » Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:55 pm

Bernie R wrote:Horrendous Lily - even though diferent cause and setting it brings memories of 9/11.

Me too Bern, and as with 9/11 the bravery of firefighters is awesome, they were there within 6 mins. We should all give thanks for the sheer professionalism of our emergency service workers once more.
Bee

"Life" is a gift to you. The way you live your life is your gift to those who come after.
bjones

Postby miv donelan » Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:09 pm

The accounts of residents and firefighters is truly harrowing. A lot of recriminations about the poor alarms, and the fact that the concerns of families about the safety of the building has been consistently ignored (what's new.) These poor people have lost everything they own, as well as their homes, and in some cases members of their families. Whole families are missing and some women have thrown children from windows in a desperate bid to save them. It's impossible to imagine such terror and heartbreak. Neighbours who have little enough of their own have been donating food, bedding and clothes, as well as many businesses contributing. As usual the fire service and ambulance crews have done an amazing selfless job, how, under the circumstances I can't think.
miv donelan

Postby lily8 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:12 am

It is really so awful to see and hear the stories that are emerging over this tragic event and I suppose after a long and harrowing time the families of those who are lost will get some answers. Hopefully also safety fears among those still living in these types of blocks will also be addressed. I must say I personally have been really heartened by the gestures of goodwill and support by the local community and those of Greater London. No talk of ethnic or religious differences just heart felt love and support for their fellow men women and children, hats off to you all, you really are the very best of British caring and compassion.
Lily
lily8

Postby Thommos sister » Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:04 am

Agree with everyone. Fantastic to see the protesters too, all nations united, in so many corners of London. Placards venting their anger and rightly so. Where do the homeless go?? Firies will be back to find the bodies when the building is safe, what a horrible horrible sight, the burnt out shell. Beyond my comprehension but not :( :( emotions.
Thommos sister

Postby Invicta » Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:31 am

A neighbour, who is a policeman and works for the Met and has attended both London Bridge and the fire recently told us the death toll could well exceed 100. The problem was that many more people were living or staying in the flats than were registered occupants.
Many were foreigners who had lived here years and had integrated but there were also many
Immigrants , some asylum seekers who had no records or anything to assist identification.
Whatever their status, it is a dreadful situation and very sad but regrettably there is a lot more bad news to come it seems. K
Invicta

Postby Invicta » Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:29 am

The toll rises, now 79 confirmed dead or missing.

Just met the Wife of my Policeman neighbour, the poor lad was called to the Findsbury Park, mosque incident last night. He's attended London Bridge the fire and now this, his time in Afghanistan will have conditioned him but it must be a hell of a strain. Ken
Invicta

Return to Chat about anything with the Bootle Bucks