The Telly

Join in here with our very own Bootle Chatterbox...
bjones

Have you noticed when you look at the listings that when a new TV prog/series is shown the prefix "NEW" is given. I'm sure it used show R when the prog was a REPEAT.... says it all really.......
Bee

"Life" is a gift to you. The way you live your life is your gift to those who come after.
Glenys

Bee,
One week I counted the amount of repeats in the tv paper.....................sad I know...........................so many :roll:
New series starting this evening, and another tomorrow evening.
Glen
Lived Linacre Lane, Trinity Road & Knowsley Road.
Bernie R

Looking forward to both of those Glenys (The Loch, and Fearless tomorrow?)

Don't forget Poldark is back tonight ladies! :wink:
Last edited by Bernie R on Sun Jun 11, 2017 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Born and raised in Romeo Street, later Lambeth Walk, Jersey Close, Garden Place, Hawthorne Rd, Gonville Rd now Netherton
filsgreen

The telly is so poor that my wife and I are watching the entire series of The West Wing. We're a bit late to the party, but it's a great series. It's even made me buy a book on American Politics, to help me understand it better.
Elaine Goulding

Bernie, just love Poldark, so looking forward to the new season!
Elaine

Bianca Street, Bootle - moved to Canada 1982
Bernie R

That George Warleggan character is an absolute beaut of a pantomime villain!

Booooo, Hissss, Booooooo! :lol:
Born and raised in Romeo Street, later Lambeth Walk, Jersey Close, Garden Place, Hawthorne Rd, Gonville Rd now Netherton
Patricia

Same here, t.v. is dreadful during the summer, However, going
through the many channels, I came across one that was about
Marilyn Monroe's trip to England while making a movie with
Laurence Olivier (strange combination) called " My week with
Marilyn." It was quite interesting about an employee,
(Colin Clark) of Sir Laurence Olivier who fell hard for Marilyn
and the tense interaction between Olivier and Marilyn Monroe during the
making of the movie (he disliked her intensely) She on the
other hand felt totally inadequate starring with such a fantastic world
renowned classic actor.
Really enjoyed the English scenery and the private boarding school
that Colin Clark showed her around that he had attended from the
age of eight.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1655420/
Bernie R

We watched the opener of "The Loch" earlier - a wee bit grisly but we'll be there again next week!
Bonesy

The classic tv series A Family At War from the early 70s has a re run starting Wednesday 14th June at 6 pm on the freeview channel Talking Pictures channel number 81.
How the events of WW 2 affected various members of a lower middle class family in Liverpool, the emphasis being on life on the home front.

Keith
bjones

Ta guys.
Keith; I vaguely remember that prog though I didn't watch it regularly first time around; perhaps I will this time.
Watched The Loch - brain extracted through the nostril.... grisly indeed Bern but like you, we'll be there next week!
Fearless last night looks to be an interesting one but am I recognising shades of Line of Duty in the storyline?
Bee

"Life" is a gift to you. The way you live your life is your gift to those who come after.
filsgreen

Thanks for that heads up, Keith. I love the series, but it's still quite expensive to buy. I thought they got the theme music spot on.
Mack
Site Admin

Great to see this NEW discussion 'The Telly' about what you are currently watching... and the old TV Shows... Past and Present Telly. Always love reading this type of stuff and comments. :D

Mack :wink:
bjones

Put Family at War on to record and watched the first episode the other night. Some good acting but wish Davey would give over with the phoney scouse accent. Looking forward to further episodes...
I'm an avid Corrie fan but getting really fed up with the time the storylines are taking to unravel...... WHEN is Feelan going to get his!!!
Bee

Invicta

We're watching Greys Anatomy series 5 , our friends from Netherton , staying with us say they are watching series 14 and they are laughing at how people have changed and how the plot changed. When Katherine Heigl goes out of it I'll stop watching. :D Ken
Bonesy

Bee, this is a cracking thread well done you.

Very good programme the other night Tuesday 13th June BBC 1 Mike and Jules, While We Still Have Time.

Its about Mike Peters frontman of the band The Alarm. Mike was diagnosed with cancer 20 years ago and while filming the documentary his wife Jules was also diagnosed. Its not as depressing as it sounds, in fact although it was sad it was very uplifting watching it.
If you didnt see it find it on catch up.

Keith
Glenys

We watched a programme Thursday evening, ITV 8.30 to 10.00, about a group of male celebrities recreating the famous striptease from The full Monty ; very watchable!!!!

Serious side though, it was to raise awareness of testicular and prostate cancer..................
bjones

Caught the last 20 mins of that Glen - hilarious!

Thank goodness Bethany's finally seen sense about the creep Nathan, I was getting a bit frightened for her - of course we all know that Corrie is real life :D

Tried to watch Fearless last night but gave up half way through ..... it was "too hard" on a hot night, will catch up when my brains less addled with the heat.
Finding the Loch's a bit slow.
Bee

Glenys

Bee, "Fearless" is a series to be watched without a glass in hand :roll: :evil:
Invicta

Janette is watching The Loch but I was happy to see Ripper Street return last night. :D Ken
BossHogg

I watched Ripper Street, I just couldn't get into it, it was very slow.
bjones

Glenys wrote:Bee, "Fearless" is a series to be watched without a glass in hand :roll: :evil:
Took your good advice Glen :D and also put down my laptop when I caught up with the second half of last week's and last night's latest episode.
Deffo a prog you need to watch as well as listen to, finding it a bit far fetched and still seeing shades of Line of Duty. Wondering if it's just a coincidence that John Bishop's character and the main "baddy" witness are both photographers 8) .......
Also finding it distracting that the murdered girl's parents are always accompanied by the pervie police sergeant from Corrie.......

Keith
someone was telling me about Mike and Julie last week but couldn't remember what it was called - thanks for that, I'll be sure to watch it on catch up.
Bee

Glenys

Hi Bee,
Re the photography coincidence; I hadn't caught onto that :roll: Yes, the "Corrie" character throws me from time to time, makes me wonder if I am watching that soap...!!1
Bernie R

Just watched last week's (i.e. the 20th June) Broken - the one about Roz.

Dear me this is turning into an endurance test as, other than the Cop episode, they've all been very, very long hours! Only 2 to go so will probably stick with it but Jeez it needs a bit of something. I know the subject matter is gloomy (at best) but it drains the viewer!

Up to date on The Loch and really enjoying that one though. Haven't seen this week's Fearless yet.

Bern
dorothy834

Bee..just can't get rid of Feelan. ..best villain ...
watching his face you can almost see the cogs
going round his brain...what's he up to in Liverpool eh?

Dorothy
dorothy834
filsgreen

Just watching Broken, another episode that explores the worse in society. Just took this screenshot, does anyone recognise it? Probably won't look the same in a month's time.

Glenys

Just watched lastnight's "Broken"... powerful dialogue.........moving.........moved me to tears.........words of truth......
BossHogg

filsgreen wrote:Just watching Broken, another episode that explores the worse in society. Just took this screenshot, does anyone recognise it? Probably won't look the same in a month's time.

It looks like the high rise blocks on Marsh Lane to me, however it has been 22 years since I was last there so they may have been demolished. ;)
filsgreen

They're the ones, Tom. I don't know whether the director wanted serenity or desperation in that shot. Given the subject matter; I rather think the latter. :(
BossHogg

Definitely desperation! the small housing estate next to the blocks were built just after I left the army in 1993, I was on night shift site security. I needed my wits about me for that job!!! :shock:
bjones

Bernie R » Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:21 am
Just watched last week's (i.e. the 20th June) Broken - the one about Roz. -Dear me this is turning into an endurance test
Bern, do you think that your feelings could be the result of our being battered by the "real" news over the past month or two? The likes of Grenfall Tower and the Manchester bombing puts little people and their problems into perspective. None the less, sadly the problems of the individual still go on and are as tragic to them as is the big stuff. I guess we can't help wishing there was a bit more joy on the telly. I'm probably stating the obvious here but perhaps that's why soaps are so popular.

Glenys » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:10 pm
Just watched lastnight's "Broken"... powerful dialogue.........moving.........moved me to tears.........words of truth.;
and none more so than Carl's last words to Father Bunloaf.... go and tell your bishop that and the congregation etc etc (paraphrasing here) and aren't we all guilty of that same sin, too few of us brave enough to speak out in support of the underdog.

DOROTHY :shock: DO NOT get me started on Phelan... and why is he always just in the right place when he's in danger of being caught out? More coincidences than Charles Dickens novels!! My best bet on his latest story line is that the social worker/probation officer woman is his love child from when he lived in Liverpool. She did say her dad was a builder..... Too obvious for him to be about to do the dirty on Eileen, who too soon has her suspicions about what he's up to.......
Bee

Shelagh

Well sussed, Bee..re my favourite Villain, Phelan, don't want him to get caught :( best actor on the street :wink: shall miss him if he goes :(
The Bethany plot..interesting but strange nobody noticed what was going on, accept for the very wise Mary of course (another favourite character) she's brilliant!
Shame that the storyline has dragged on for so long, looks like it's going to continue for some time..which means that some viewers will have lost interest by then..self included!

Broken; missed a couple of episodes, caught the first, wasn't impressed, bad scouse accents, far fetched storyline, thought the whole poverty idea was very outdated.
Last two episodes much better, had a lot of sympathy, not for Roz but for Father Bunloaf with
his many flashbacks and dealings with perpetrators from the past.
This week, very sad, also had tears flooding down my face..scene of mother with the body of dead son, heartbreaking!

Just one problem - the casting..Father Bunloaf (Sean Bean) seems to be a bit long in the tooth to be having so many identity, moral and spiritual problems..should have cast the lovely James Norton (Grantchester) for part of Father Bunloaf :D
wouldn't have missed an episode then :wink:

Never got around to watching The Loch..will catch up later!
Last edited by Shelagh on Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dorothy834

Hi Bee..I did read something can't remember where that what you are thinking regarding Phelan (correct spelling this time)is on the agenda but you never know he could be renovating Liver Buildings into flats :wink: :wink:
unless it's the "birds he's after..make what you will about that

Shelagh quite right the street would be dull without him...
did you see him when he won the award for best villain last year?
he looked a proper dandy in his snazzy suit and fedora hat scrubbed
up very well...
Dorothy.
dorothy834
bjones

Dorothy you're only right! Just had a Google and it was mentioned as long ago as 8 June - guess we were all wrapped up in the election and missed it;
http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2017-06- ... r-mcintyre

Still giggling at your suggestion that he was going to turn the Liver Bldg into flats :lol:
Bee

Invicta

Best thing I'm watching is Great British menu finals.
Our Scouse born, self taught, chef Ellis not doing to well but his quips in the kitchen are brilliant. :D Ken
bjones

Yep, my fave at the mo too Ken. I missed the first few weeks including first 2 nights of NW region and the introduction to the contestants. Would have liked to have seen the intro on Paul Askew (of the Art School Liverpool) who must have been the favourite to win but I was delighted when Ellis got through. He seems to be the only one in the comp with a sense of humour. Surprised you can't hear me cheering him on all the way down in Kent
Bee