CRUISING.

Join in here with our very own Bootle Chatterbox...

Re: CRUISING.

Postby Ernie Jackson. (Bunty) » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:33 pm

II can tell you how to get one for nowt. . and legal.
Ernie Jackson. (Bunty)

Postby filsgreen » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:42 pm

I'll swap you, Ernie. Your 2017 copy, for a copy of a book called "Ernie, who?" :lol: :lol:
filsgreen

Postby Bill fawcett » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:49 pm

Ken, yes it is the Ventura, and our first cruise was on the Arcadia. Pity you had to cancel as it would have been nice to meet you.

Bill
Bill fawcett

Postby Invicta » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:54 pm

Great itinerary Bill on a great ship. If you don't do Formal you can always use the Glasshouse they don't require Formal.
Ken
Invicta

Postby Ernie Jackson. (Bunty) » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:39 pm

Thanks Phil but I already have both. :wink:
Ernie Jackson. (Bunty)

Postby Invicta » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:34 am

Today's Daily Mail has a centre pull out of Cruises for anyone tempted. :D Ken
Invicta

Postby Ernie Jackson. (Bunty) » Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:53 pm

I bet it is wet through :lol: :lol: :lol:
Ernie Jackson. (Bunty)

Postby Invicta » Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:57 pm

Bright & sunny here Ernie, 16C, tropical 8) K
Invicta

Postby EdMcDonald » Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:22 pm

Off on the 30th from New York. She who will obeyed has booked us on an east coast cruise. New York, Halifax,St John, Bar Harbor and Boston. Going with Norwegian after I swore I'd never use them again. :roll:
Home of the "Edmonton Oilers"
EdMcDonald

Postby Invicta » Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:53 pm

Bet you love them waterslides Ed :lol: Enjoy . Ken
Last edited by Invicta on Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Invicta

Postby Ernie Jackson. (Bunty) » Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:31 pm

Jane McDonald Cruising 9pm Friday. Highlighting Crystal Symphony out of Cuba. My favourite cruise line although I prefer Serenity.

I watched her on a river cruise in her programme last eeek. Often thought of a river cruise but still not convinced although she showed it in good light.

A group of BBs enjoyed a day aboard Serenity in the Mersey a few years ago but this is Jane on the sister ship. Well worth a look to see if you fancy it.
Ernie Jackson. (Bunty)

Postby Bonesy » Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:04 pm

half decent programme Ernie. Thought last week was a bit iffy with our Jane showing more about what you could see and do rather than showing more of the ship / river boat which looked very nice BTW.
The week before featured MSCs Meraviglia which we were tempted with till we saw a youtube video of the thousands on the pool deck all very loudly jibbering away in Italian :lol: :lol:

Ernie the cruise show last week at Aintree, was to honest was a pain. It was chocker block, most of the cruise companies were there with Thomas Cook reps offering what they were calling deals of a lifetime, £100 of every cruise booked :roll: :wink:

We lasted about 30 mins and got off to the pub. Have to say it was more worth going to see the racecourse in all its glory and amazing to see the old Grand Prix circuit whats left of it.

Keith
SO MANY PEOPLE, MY FAMILY OF FRIENDS
Bonesy

Postby Invicta » Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:28 pm

I agree Keith, I enjoyed Jane's show but would prefer to see more about the ship facilities.
Sure will look out for the Crystal, Ernie. Ken
Invicta

Postby Ernie Jackson. (Bunty) » Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:46 pm

Totally agree that there was hardly anything about on board stuff and mainly about France. Probably her own thing and almost certainly not included in cruise prices.

I just hope she shows the ship facilities next week particularly as that is my own main reason for cruising. Everyone usually has a different reason, weather, itinerary, entertainment etc.

I haven't attended any cruise shows and Bonesy has ensured I won't. The seminars I have been to are by individual lines and limited to first come first served applications. Buffet and drinks usually laid on. All a manner of selling their product but enjoyable nevertheless.

Most agencies have a limited cruise visit facility but If anyone was interested I could probably fix up a day aboard Crystal. I think there might be a charge but even so it would be well worth it for an excellent day on the Mersey.
Ernie Jackson. (Bunty)

Postby Bonesy » Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:29 pm

Count me and Lian in on that visit Ernie

Keith
Bonesy

Postby Invicta » Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:45 pm

When is the next Crystal in Liverpool, Ernie ? I'd be interested.
Keith, Two MSC in Southampton this week and Oceania Nautica, they are regulars so you could try the day visit.
Cheers Ken
Invicta

Postby Bonesy » Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:27 pm

View of the race course from the cruise show

Keith
Bonesy

Postby Invicta » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:56 am

I could do with a cruise just to get away from LFC and Herr Klopp :oops: K
Invicta

Postby Invicta » Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:14 pm

Ernie Jackson. (Bunty) wrote:Jane McDonald Cruising 9pm Friday. Highlighting Crystal Symphony out of Cuba. My favourite cruise line although I prefer Serenity.

I watched her on a river cruise in her programme last eeek. Often thought of a river cruise but still not convinced although she showed it in good light.

A group of BBs enjoyed a day aboard Serenity in the Mersey a few years ago but this is Jane on the sister ship. Well worth a look to see if you fancy it.

Don't think you meant this Crystal , Ernie :lol: Ken
Invicta

Postby Ernie Jackson. (Bunty) » Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:57 pm

Owtch.

Sorry Ken.

I will talk to my mate who advised me what the programme would be about

Seems he wasn't Crystal clear. :roll:

Ernie Jackson. (Bunty)

Postby Invicta » Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:25 am

Couldn't imagine you on that one Ernie :D
I've enjoyed the series presented by Jane. Just wish more about the ships but when she opened her piece with "She's an old converted ferry" I thought,oops, but it seemed a very happy ship.
:wink: Ken
Invicta

Postby Ernie Jackson. (Bunty) » Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:00 pm

I had never heard of this ship before this programme but found it in the 2017 Berlitz Cruise Book..

Entered Service 1980.
25611 tonnes.
No of passengers. (Lower Beds) 966.
No. of crew. 400.
Space per passenger (Lower Beds) 26.5

Previous names. Louis Crystal. Citja Opera. Super Star. Taurus. Leeward. Sally Albatross and Viking Saga.

ONE Maiden voyage. SEVEN Inaugral Cruises.

BERLITZ RATINGS FOR CELESTYAL CRISTAL.

Possible. Achiieved..

Ship. 500, 322
Accommodation. 200 133
Food. 400 230
Service 400 246
Entertainment 100 62
Cruise Experience 400 243

Overall Score1236 out of 2000

Star Rating * * *

No ratings for Jane but off this last programme I would rate her performance (Not her singing) at 1 out of five.

Havana nIL.

Two other ships in the fleet are Celestyal Nefeli and Celestyal Olympia.

I have more info. if required by any would be passengers. 8)
Ernie Jackson. (Bunty)

Postby Ernie Jackson. (Bunty) » Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:51 am

This advert arrived on my email page.

7 Day Cruise
Cuba

3 destinations | 29 available excursions

From £936GBP per person.

Celestyal Crystal

DEPARTING PORT:

Havana (Cuba)

DESTINATIONS:

Cienfuegos (Cuba), Montego Bay (Jamaica), Santiago de Cuba (Cuba) & Havana (Cuba)

When I called to book and claim my £936pp reward they said I was supposed to pay THEM. :roll: :roll: :roll:
Ernie Jackson. (Bunty)

Postby Invicta » Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:57 pm

For sure I've sailed on her between Finland & Sweden when she was the ferry Viking Saga or the Sally Line.
We did customer trips to our mills, flying to Stockholm then taking the " party boat " to Helsinki .
Too many memories :oops: Ken
Last edited by Invicta on Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Invicta

Postby Ernie Jackson. (Bunty) » Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:45 am

The next Liverpool visit by Crystal (Serenity) is June 20th 2019. If there is enough interest I will get on to them asking if a group visit can be arranged.

We wont be fully committed till I get a costing. Last time we did it there were twelve BB's at no charge. The 'tender' to the ship was by one of the Mersey ferries. (my very first cruise line)

It may seem a long way off but I have booked the same ship from Cape Town back to Monaco (26 days) for March 1919. It is now fully booked so I am pleased I did it early and (bearing in mind the war of words) hope we are still around. :shock: :shock: :shock:
Ernie Jackson. (Bunty)

Postby Matt » Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:44 pm

You missed the boat Ernie :lol: You will a little late!!! Hope you have a Dr Who Tardis :)
We will be there(S.A) a little before you in January 2019 on the Nautica
Matt
Matt

Postby Ernie Jackson. (Bunty) » Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:16 pm

Dead right Matt. Sorry for the glitch. :oops:
Seems your 20/20 vision found my1919 out. :lol:

Your Insignia trip could involve some or all of the four Cape Town cruise visits in January 2019.

It would be great if you could outline this big, big adventure. You would have at least twenty hours flight home unless you are staying on after Singapore.

I know loads of seniors who say they should spend while they can and welcome you to the people that actually do it. Not many at all.

Cape Town is one of the greatest cities we have visited and to fly out and cruise home is a real bonus..

This is one of the few times that our cruise home will be secondary as we will stay in Franschhoek, about an hours drive from Cape Town, for a few weeks before boarding. Although we will travel out early I doubt we would be there as early as January and that's a shame as it would have been great to meet up.

I hope out paths will cross in the not too distant future.
Ernie Jackson. (Bunty)

Postby Matt » Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:42 pm

We are only doing the Cape Town to Cape Town for 15 days Ernie on the Nautica because we are going early and taking a
a 4 day safari before the cruise besides I have already been to Durban in 1943 on the Arundel Castle :)
Typhus broke out on the way to UK(Liverpool) and we spent 5 days in Durban while the ship was fumigated. Also our daughter is getting re married
in July 2018 and our granddaughter is getting married in the Dominican Republic in late November 2018 and Sheila will not give me anymore pocket
money so as we can take a longer cruise plus we have eyes on a cruise from Norway to Canada that is supposedly being offered late 2019/20.
You know I used to get paid(8 pounds a week :lol: ) to do all this "cruising") now I am paying more than that for a bottle of wine on the ship.
Matt
Matt

Postby Invicta » Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:17 am

Don't you mean more than £8 per glass Matt :D
Invicta

Postby Bonesy » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:14 am

Ernie, I am surprised that you rated Havana nil points on the basis of watching a TV programme.
We spent two days in Havana and found it to be the most vibrant, easy going, fun loving and happiest place we have ever been to, IMHO.
In saying that I am very happy at the moment sitting on our roof terrace in beautiful Frigiliana, Spain, 75 degrees and rising and what makes more happy is that a beer with tapas is only €1.00 :D

Keith
Bonesy

Postby Ernie Jackson. (Bunty) » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:57 am

Thanks Bonesy

You have the advantage of having seen it first hand. I could only make an opinion on the programme and the programme was probably to attract tourists.

Do you think the programme showed Havana as you know it?

There is also the possibility that we don't like the same things and that is an observation, not a criticism. .One mans meat etc etc. :)

I envy your present situation. It is still raining here. :roll: :roll: :roll:
Ernie Jackson. (Bunty)

Postby Bonesy » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:12 am

Ernie,
You are spot on re one man's meat etc. To be honest I've not seen that episode yet so can't comment, hence can only relate to my own experience.

Best wishes from Frigiliana.

Keith
Bonesy

Postby Ernie Jackson. (Bunty) » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:37 am

This exchange of opinions with Bonesy shows how much folk can differ in likes and dislikes and not just related top cruising.

At this moment I would really like to be in his shoes enjoying a glass or two in company I love in warm, sunny weather.

My absolute favourite is to do just that except in a different part of the world.

Alfresco in a Michelin vineyard restaurant about a fiver each with best wine at 75p a glass. That is why we need to go back to beautiful Franschhoek , Cape Town, as soon as we can. Over a hundred vinyards in the valley and all with the same restaurant facility.

If I can't travel that far then I would willingly join Bonesy anytime. Lucky man. 8)
Ernie Jackson. (Bunty)

Postby Invicta » Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:11 am

Often stepping from the confines of a luxury cruise ship in to a city in a poorer part of the World is a culture shock.
We didn't like Colombo but loved Saigon. We hated LA but loved San Diego and San Francisco. Loved Singapore, KL but disliked Bangkok . Loved Abu Dhabi, disliked Dubai. Loved HK, hated Shanghai.
I tried to match similar cities that we visited. Some cities are run down, others are ultra modern, some chilled, some manic.
It's personal choice based on own experience but very much how the local people respond and interact with visitors but that depends on how visitors behave with them. Tour groups from the ships are often just whistle stops and give no time to explore or meet the locals.
We mostly try to do our own thing and engage with the locals, a bit of banter goes a long way and we are fortunate being able to say we come from Liverpool because everyone knows Liverpool be it footy or music and we are most fortunate in that someone, somewhere will speak English. :D Ken
Invicta

Postby Ernie Jackson. (Bunty) » Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:41 pm

Having viewed all the comments 'One man's meat etc' is really appropriate to this thread.

Although the contributions have been mainly from Ken and I see that many others have viewed with interest. Others don't like the subject at all but that is the way of the world.

Someone wrote recently about us, as kids, having no a*** in our pants and who would have ever thought that we are now writing about cruise experiences. I doubt very much that my dear mum would contribute to the 'no a*** theory as the slightest sign of wear on any of her kids clothing would cause the sewing machine to appear and a quick repair job applied.

At least ive or six BB's are already enjoying this later life experience, others are interested in the content and considering taking it up as well as those who are not convinced. The old saying 'If you haven't tried it etc' could apply.

There is a cruise to fit any pocket and choice as well as being cheaper than most other traditional holidays when taking into account the usual expenses involved..
Ernie Jackson. (Bunty)

PreviousNext

Return to Chat about anything with the Bootle Bucks