Broken

Join in here with our very own Bootle Chatterbox...

Broken

Postby miv donelan » Mon May 22, 2017 4:59 pm

The new Jimmy McGovern drama, "Broken," that was filmed at SFX church, and in parts of Bootle, starts on BBC tomorrow at 9pm. It premiered at the church on the 8th May. The first episode was gripping. So glad it's being shown before the election, it gives people a lot to think about.
miv donelan

Re: Broken

Postby bernie johno » Mon May 22, 2017 5:25 pm

thanks for that will set the record watched them film in a few places last year :D :D :wink:
hood st ,norton st, spenser st ,
bernie johno

Postby lily8 » Tue May 23, 2017 8:00 am

I hope we get it 'down under' love Jimmy Mac
Lily
lily8

Postby Thommos sister » Tue May 23, 2017 10:18 am

Ditto Lily :D
Thommos sister

Postby henry » Tue May 23, 2017 8:09 pm

tonights show has been cancelled
HENRY BORN FLORIDA STREET OFF STRAND ROAD
henry

Postby Bernie R » Thu May 25, 2017 12:06 am

Episode 1 put back until next Tuesday.
Born and raised in Romeo Street, later Lambeth Walk, Jersey Close, Garden Place, Hawthorne Rd, Gonville Rd now Netherton
Bernie R

Postby Mack » Wed May 31, 2017 1:55 am

Watched it earlier. It's heartbreaking. Brilliant shots of Bootle.

Mack
Mack
Site Admin

Postby Sheelagh Tequila » Wed May 31, 2017 10:24 am

Brilliant but Awful.....Jimmy Mc has it spot on, to think this really happens is heartbreaking.

Sheelagh Tequila
Sheelagh Tequila

Postby miv donelan » Wed May 31, 2017 11:17 am

Hopefully it will bring across the fact that the "have nots" aren't all scroungers wanting free hand-outs to fund their beer and fags, as is often suggested. I can't imagine what it would have been like not to have been able to feed and clothe my kids. Gripping, can't wait for next week.
miv donelan

Postby Bernie R » Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:13 am

Bloomin' Tivo box didn't record it as it thought it had already done so the week before.
Must make sure we catch it on the iPlayer before next week's episode 2.
Born and raised in Romeo Street, later Lambeth Walk, Jersey Close, Garden Place, Hawthorne Rd, Gonville Rd now Netherton
Bernie R

Postby graham01 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:38 pm

wow.really shocking.caught it last night on i-player.i was nodding off but was soon wide awake.bernie,make sure you catch up before next week.graham..
origin waterloo.present and future bootle.
graham01

Postby filsgreen » Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:50 pm

Just watched it, it's the Blackstuff for the 21 century. Harrowing and too near the bone for me. I'm not sure I want to watch the rest, it won't be get any better.
filsgreen

Postby Bernie R » Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:39 am

Have caught up on this now. Besides the obvious 'spot the location' fun it's harrowing stuff - even moreso when you consider that themes covered mirror real life storiies.

Barb gave up 20 minutes into episode 2 - I stuck it out but it has to be said... that was a long hour's television!

Bern
Bernie R

Postby bjones » Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:35 am

As someone who couldn't watch The Street because I usually find Jimmy Mc's writing too intense(for me) I was reluctant to watch Broken. I caught up on it last week just to see if I could "spot the locations".
It's good drama well acted but sad to say I didn't find it as shocking as others seem to have. Perhaps I've become inured to such stories, having read real life news of people pretending relatives are alive in order to claim benefits as well as watching dramas involving "sub cultures", as in The Moorside (story of Shannon Mathews) and Three Girls to say nothing of various documentary progs over the years.

Have a look at this to see the kind of poverty experienced by too many kids (including Bootle kids) back in the 60s and 70s I'm pretty sure there are still kids living in such appalling conditions in the UK today.
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/wh ... en-9351880

BTW i didn't recognise anywhere as being in Bootle :(
Bee

"Life" is a gift to you. The way you live your life is your gift to those who come after.
bjones

Postby filsgreen » Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:19 am

There weren't as many in the second episode, Bee. There were views of the roof tops above Beddy Road by Kings Road. The first episode showed Cash Generators and the exterior of the shop, in the Strand and pictures of where the family lived, which was the first house on Bedford Road after the old Bedford pub

I watched the second episode it was slightly lighter in mood, but I didn't connect with the MH patient getting shot. It portrayed our armed police in bad light. The man had been blinded by pepper spray, yes, he was waving a knife, but in my opinion he was no threat to the police or the public, as he was contained.

It's my opinion that the police in this situation would have give him time or because the man was blinded they could have approached him from the side and disarmed him by hitting his arm/wrist holding the knife with a baton.

It's all very well me sitting here in the safety of my armchair, making judgement about the police. But I believe that the scene was Americanised, in that this is what the American police would have done. It may also represent an anti police opinion by Jimmy McGovern.

I believe our police would have let the RMN's talk their patient down, whilst maintaining a safe environment and the man would have survived. However, that scenario wouldn't have been in keeping with the general tone of the program and Jimmy didn't want to portray our professionals in a positive light.

I watched a documentary where Scottish policemen visited the USA and their police visited the UK, to see each other's Forces in action. The American police could not believe how our police dealt with people with knives/weapons and that the majority of UK police were not armed.

They watched a video of Glasgow police talking to a man brandishing a machete, they kept a safe distance and eventually persuaded the man to drop his weapon. The US police said an armed person would only get one or two warnings to put their weapon down, before they used deadly force.
filsgreen

Postby bjones » Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:49 pm

I obviously haven't seen the latest episode Phil but thanks for your take on it.
Bee

"Life" is a gift to you. The way you live your life is your gift to those who come after.
bjones

Postby filsgreen » Sun Jun 11, 2017 1:02 pm

I'm sorry for ruining it, Bee. I thought you had seen the second episode. :oops:
filsgreen

Postby bjones » Sun Jun 11, 2017 1:07 pm

No worries Phil, I wasn't having a pop. I also thought I'd seen all available episodes as I'm still catching up post hols, I won't bother watching that one so you've saved me a bit of time :D
Bee

bjones

Postby miv donelan » Sun Jun 11, 2017 5:05 pm

Watch the second episode if you get the chance Bee. They are on-going stories so it may be hard to follow otherwise. I'm far from naive but it's opened my eyes as to how easy it is to end up in impossible situations through lack of money, or support. I found last week heartbreaking for everyone, including the Priest.
miv donelan

Postby bjones » Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:40 am

Miv I took your advice and watched the second episode and glad I did. It's now becoming clearer that the main story is really about the priest.

Smiled but was saddened by the little girl making her first communion in a "light up" frock. In my experience it's true what one of the teachers said about the less these families have the more showy they want the communion dresses to be. Thirty years ago my then bro in law tried to introduce the simple frock and "school uniform" rule but don't think he had much success.

Phil Agree that the treatment of the "MH" boy was incredible. Doubt armed officers would have been that readily available even had the situation warranted them. Personally thought it had more to do with artistic licence than any personal agenda of Jimmy Mc.

Will watch the next episode mainly as I want to know what Father Bunloaf's big secret is....
Bee

bjones

Postby Bernie R » Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:07 am

bjones wrote:Miv
Will watch the next episode mainly as I want to know what Father Bunloaf's big secret is....

I'll tell ya mate - he's having an affair with 'er ladyship! (oops, that was another Sean Bean show! :lol: :lol: :lol: )
Bernie R

Postby filsgreen » Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:21 pm

Haven't heard that term for ages, Bee. :D
filsgreen

Postby bjones » Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:40 pm

I'll tell ya mate - he's having an affair with 'er ladyship! (oops, that was another Sean Bean show! :lol: :lol: :lol: )

You're Sharpe today Bern :D

filsgreen »
Haven't heard that term for ages, Bee. :D

Little story about that Phil; when I was 17 my boyfriend was a student teacher at a Bootle catholic school. He aways referred to the parish priest as Father Bunloaf. I'd never heard the term before and assumed Bunloaf was the priest's name.... until I went to the headmaster's end of term party and asked him if I should see if Father Bunloaf wanted a drink... the head and my boyfriend nearly choked on their drinks and I still didn't understand what I'd said wrong :oops:
Bee

bjones

Postby filsgreen » Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:55 pm

:lol: Another term I heard was, Father Feck. Don't know the etymology, just another term that my mate's mother used.
filsgreen

Return to Chat about anything with the Bootle Bucks