cryptic's

Join in here with our very own Bootle Chatterbox...
Bill fawcett

Hi Bernie, not Celine Dion I'm afraid.

Bill
Shelagh

9. Snow Patrol..thinkging - 'Sow' and 'no' from snow..petrol from patrol...
stick being a dip stick? 'No Petrol' sounding like question :?:
Bill fawcett

Not Snow Patrol Shelagh, you are overthinking again.
Look where I put the comma's, after 'swine' and after 'stick in' and then add what sounds like a question :D :D

Bill
bjones

ANOTHER page already!
The story so far;

1. Raked over, not the past but the present.................... DRAKE

2. His new book could drive you to drink....................... MATTHEWS SOUTHERN COMFORT

3. Sounds like a Bee always shelter with chicken. …..........BEVERLEY CRAVEN

4. It was dark, then another group in the street got hot.....BLACK SABBATH

5. The church with a ram outside................................... ARCHIES

6. Some hair on top of the pen........ …...........................WHIGFIELD

7. Get some cheese in Sri Lanka city............................GABRIELLE
[/color]
8. Be certain after a time...................................................ERASURE

9. The swine stick in what sounds like a question............. A group 90s *

10. Sounds like the river has a symbol with some DNA on it. ...WYCLEF JEAN
Last edited by bjones on Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bee

"Life" is a gift to you. The way you live your life is your gift to those who come after.
Bill fawcett

Have you had enough of these or do you want to carry on?

Bill
bjones

Bill, our parents lived through the blitz; Bootle folk do NOT give up!

btw. I won't get anywhere with #7 till I get Etta ..fetch(get) and feta(cheese) out of my head :evil:
Bee

"Life" is a gift to you. The way you live your life is your gift to those who come after.
Shelagh

Can't give up now, Bill :shock:
Only two to go, seven a bit of a challenge, nine is a swine, but they will be cracked
by the end of the day, I guarantee :wink:

Bee; same here with seven, Bri just won't leave me :lol:
bjones

OK so time to brainstorm;

7. Get[/b ]; fetch/bring
some cheese; feta/brie/edam/
Sri Lanka city ; Colombo/Kandy

Best I can come up with is GABRIELLE but can only make the cheesy bit fit
and of course ETTA James but she was so much earlier than 90s :(

8.Swinepig/pork/hog
stick in stab/glue/
sounds like a question wy/wat/hoo/wen/query/ask
Bee

bjones

HA just had a quick wiki and there's a city in Sri Lanka called GALLE so that brings in the rest of GA BRIE LLE
Bee

Bill fawcett

Congratulations Bee, I was just going to tell you that you had cracked it without even knowing why :D :D :D :D

Bill
Bill fawcett

Only one left. Try reading the first half of the clue a few different ways. :D

Bill
bjones

Bill, I've tried it with a French accent, stood on me 'ead to say it, tried it with my teeth gritted and with a gob full of cornflakes and I still can't say it in a way that makes any sense to me! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Bee

Bernie R

Well done with Gabrielle Bee.

I'd settled on Brie for the cheese given it was so short and even did that Google of Sri Lankan cities and suspected Galle may be the one, but totally failed to put the 2 together.
I went for Celine Dion as the beginning and end kinda said Ceylon.

Bern
Born and raised in Romeo Street, later Lambeth Walk, Jersey Close, Garden Place, Hawthorne Rd, Gonville Rd now Netherton
Bill fawcett

Bee, :D :D :D
bjones

Bern, I was the same with the last set. I was sure Bananarama was the answer ; BA NANNA were easy but i just couldn't get RAMA backwards to fit the clue ... even thought of the ship wrecked at Crosby beach in the 1920s; the Armagh but spelled differently and no "sounds like" from Fiendish Fawcett. Even after he confirmed you were right it took a couple of days for the penny to drop .....MAR!!!

Seems that having my neck stretched on Friday has loosened up my bonce a bit! Will continue to worrat away at the last one whilst I vacuum the bedrooms!!!
Bee

Bill fawcett

If you are having trouble saying the first half of the clue a different way, try reversing it and it may come to you then.

Bill
Shelagh

Tried reversing Swine, E N I W S ( changed around a bit) nearest I could come up with, Entwistle..The John Entwistle Band..(stick could be a whistle)
(question could be The Who) John Entwistle, former member of the band??
bjones

Bill, I'm assuming you meant switch the first two bits of the first part of the clue around , viz STICK IN THE SWINE and all I can get from that is
SPIT, SKEWER OR BARBI only "group" I can get from that is Spit the Dog and Bob Carolgees :lol:
Think we''ll go out for a late lunch; I'm too exhausted with all this thinking business to cook! 8)
Bee

Bill fawcett

On the wrong track Shelagh.
Bee you have reversed it correctly but still not reading it correctly. Try putting a comma after 'stick' and see if you read it differently.

Bill
Shelagh

Thinking outside the box again,,but perhaps there is no pigs/hog/sow,
Connection could be a saying, Pearls before swine :idea:
If so, try "Pearl Jam" ( to stick in - jam) could also be a question :?: (at a push)
Bill fawcett

Not them Shelagh, as you say,you are overthinking it. It is much simpler than that :)

Bill
Shelagh

Never mind, Bill,
Thought this might have gone by tonight, looking as if we may have to wait another day :(
bjones

Last ditch attempt assisted by half a bottle of white....PRODIGY.....pig with rod inside ending in why
Bee

filsgreen

You beat me to it, Bee I was going to guess that but all I could come up with was cattle prod and was hoping an igy was another word for a question. :oops: Yours sounds so much better. Whilst I was procrastinating I thought of salt and pepa...pig :oops:
Bill fawcett

AT LAST :shock: I thought this one was going to go on forever. It looked so easy to me when I knew the answer :wink:
Congratulations Bee :D
I enjoyed that set, as I like it when they keep you guessing for a while.

Do you a want another lot, or do you want to give your brains a rest for a few days?

Bill
Shelagh

Bee, I also went down the prod route, but somehow finished up with Peppa Pig :lol:
Thought I'd googled every pig band that had ever existed, seems I'd overlooked little Prodigy :D
Very Well Done Bee, you deserve that drink :wink:
Bill fawcett

Explanation for the answer, prod has got nothing to do with it.

The swine = pig. Stick =rod
The swine, stick in = P...rod..IG
Sounds like a question y (why)
The swine stick in sounds like a question = P...rod...IG..y. = PRODIGY :) :D :D :)

Bill
Shelagh

No Bill, can see that now, no worries, put it down to mental fatigue, probably brought on by the many variations of pigs, sows, hogs, rods, prods, poles and sticks :wink:
Glad to see that little piggy put to bed!

Thanks Bill for another good set of cryptics, don't know how you do it :)
Bernie R

Thanks again Bill - very much appreciated.
Born and raised in Romeo Street, later Lambeth Walk, Jersey Close, Garden Place, Hawthorne Rd, Gonville Rd now Netherton
filsgreen

Cheers Bill, another set would be good. This time I may just say what I see and sound stupid if it's wrong :D Having said that it's better when Bee and Shelagh work it out, rather than me just making names to fit your clue and getting lucky.
bjones

Ta Bill, and thanks for another set that stretched us... so glad I was able to join in this time :(

Phil, the problem with trying to make the clues fit the answer you've decided on is that we get stuck on an idea about part of the clue. e.g. with that last one I'd been bogged down thinking of "stick in" as meaning jammed, glued etc or stabbed. At one time I was convince that there must be a band called JAM BOAR OO :oops: :lol:. When I unjammed my mind I thought of "rod pole or perch" being inside a porcine and it fell into place.
Bee

Bill fawcett

Thinking caps on, here we go again.

Musical acts

1. Drag knight back in with the war on outside.

2. The short enemy as a rule hesitate.

3. Get a bridge then smear all film.

4. I sleep in the hospital department.

5. It could be cold in the hairdressers.

6. I get in the scheme to become a navigator.

7. An old mount you can be on top of.

8. Be open, or direct that is, before the dene

9. Nod off in the chassis after what sounds like a little wait.

10. Even after taking in a tablet this strong character went to the wrong stage.

I think there are a few easier ones in there for you this time. :twisted:

Bill
Last edited by Bill fawcett on Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bjones

That was quick Bill. :D
I'll start the ball rolling with FRANKIE VALLI fo #8
Bee

Bernie R

6 Pilot?
10 Gareth Gates?
bjones

Nice one for #10 Bern, if it's not right it should be :lol:

How about THE STYLISTICS for #5?
and WIZZARD for #4?
Bee