Picture of the day - bernie johno

Join in here with our very own Bootle Chatterbox...
Silver-Haired-Hippy

No Bern, not that one, Stephen did find a photo of it many years ago and sent it to me, but on Whatsapp, I recognised it straight away, not got it now but will ask him if he can find it again and put it on here, I can't as you know! thanks for trying anyway! :D Oh, the Boundary Street photo Joe put on had the steps like it.

Loretta
A bit of Bootle in Wales
fatboyjoe90

The Cunard was situated at 43-47 Stanley Road, on the corner of Boundary Street.

Cheers Joe.
Bernie R

fatboyjoe90 wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 9:12 pm The Cunard was situated at 43-47 Stanley Road, on the corner of Boundary Street.

Spent many a smoky Thursday night in there for pool matches - great bunch of lads they had. Sadly now a pile of rubble.
Born and raised in Romeo Street, later Lambeth Walk, Jersey Close, Garden Place, Hawthorne Rd, Gonville Rd now Netherton
Silver-Haired-Hippy

Maybe I got it wrong? (maybe! :D ) but found the photo on Pininterest (Sverige?) The Grapes aka Smokey Joes 1972 Boundary Street Kirkdale.

Loretta
A bit of Bootle in Wales
Bernie R

That solves the mystery then Loretta.

Looks like it was on Stanley Road/Boundary Street ondirectly opposite The Cunard

Born and raised in Romeo Street, later Lambeth Walk, Jersey Close, Garden Place, Hawthorne Rd, Gonville Rd now Netherton
Silver-Haired-Hippy

Thanks Bern, Stephen said it was the one, he remembers staying there!

Loretta
A bit of Bootle in Wales
fatboyjoe90

Cunard Ship RMS Carmania, on the river Mesey Liverpool, 1918.

Cheers Joe.
Bernie R

Wonderful new mural in Slater Sreet in town.

Silver-Haired-Hippy

Wow, how brilliant! Credit to whoever did it! :D Guess it wasn't Banksy! :lol:

Loretta
Last edited by Silver-Haired-Hippy on Tue Apr 09, 2024 12:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
A bit of Bootle in Wales
fatboyjoe90

George's Dock & Goree Warehouse, 1874.

Cheers Joe.
Gardner 180

I think this picture of Byrom Street is from the 1960s. Some of us older people will recognise Unity House on the
left of the photo, It was a large multifloor retail store of Liverpool Co-operative Society. I recall going in there at
the age of 11 with my Mother to get a new school blazer and pants, having just passed the 11 Plus Scholarship
at Joseph Williams Primary School in Belle Vale, in order to attend Holt High School near Childwall Fiveways.
One of my classmates at the Primary school was Michael McCartney, younger brother of Paul McCartney.
Paul McCartney was a at my primary school, but 2 years ahead of me and Michael, they both went on to
The Liverpool Institute Grammar School.

Ray Smyth.
stovie/mooney

FLloyd43 wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:46 pm Have just come across this photo of The Queen and Prince Phillip's visit to Bootle King's Park.

Hope someone can make the photograph more clear. I can't remember what the occasion was but I think the year was 1977.

Freda
fatboyjoe90

Freda, where is the the photo ??????????????
Cheers Joe.
Bernie R

Not Freda, Joe.

That's an old post of hers from 2011 that Stovie/mooney picked up on and quoted.

I found her original post but the pic's not there any more.
Patricia

Talking about Hotels reminded me of my soft spot for "The Merton Hotel" where my wedding reception was held. Can anyone tell me if it is still around?

Bernie R

Patricia

The Merton is still open as a pub.

It's not the pub it used to be, in fact was pretty grotty last time I was in there. Not somewhere I frequent if out in Bootle.

Bern
Patricia

Thanks Bernie - I always thought it was a very impressionable building what a shame - things happening like that does not help the City uplift it's image in any way! :-(
ken

Last went in there about 1962 with my brother John. Tasted my first whisky there - thought my mouth was on fire. It was very respectable then. My grandparents celebrated their golden wedding anniversary upstairs. I have a picture of it . Hope I can put it on.

We leave southern France tomorrow - three days on the road, camping as we go. 29.5 C. today and on Monday when we reach Calais it will be 10. C.

Ken

Roberts, Allison are the Bootle names I'm interested in.

Thorp(e), Ballard, Parry, Lucas, Dodd, Jacobson, are Liverpool ancestors.
fatboyjoe90

Bernie R wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 8:59 am Not Freda, Joe.

That's an old post of hers from 2011 that Stovie/mooney picked up on and quoted.

I found her original post but the pic's not there any more.
Thanks for that Bernie, my old gray matter is not what it was. :wink: :wink:
Cheers Joe.
fatboyjoe90

ken wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 5:58 pm Last went in there about 1962 with my brother John. Tasted my first whisky there - thought my mouth was on fire. It was very respectable then. My grandparents celebrated their golden wedding anniversary upstairs. I have a picture of it . Hope I can put it on.

We leave southern France tomorrow - three days on the road, camping as we go. 29.5 C. today and on Monday when we reach Calais it will be 10. C.

Ken

Cheers Joe.
fatboyjoe90

Central Ambulance station Upper Stanhope Street 1950s
Cheers Joe.
Patricia

I used to use all the side streets from Skelhorne Street to get to work on North John St every day, in the 50's/60's so would pass " The Cavern" There were also plenty of horses and carts at that time and I was always pretty nervous of those huge cart horses which sensed same and would "Stamp" their feet causing me further concern!!!! Wonder if those side streets are still in existence?

The original Cavern on Mathew Street, Liverpool in 1963, looking towards N John Street.

fatboyjoe90

Hiya Patricia, i've made your photo of the Cavern a bit bigger.

Cheers Joe.
Patricia

Joe, As usual in my book you're: "Top of the Pops!" Ta a Lot!! :D It makes such a difference & I had many a happy time dancing away in that Cavern!!! :)
fatboyjoe90

So much going on in this photo. Strand Street and Overhead Railway.

Cheers Joe.
fatboyjoe90

Patricia wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 1:22 pm Joe, As usual in my book you're: "Top of the Pops!" Ta a Lot!! :D It makes such a difference & I had many a happy time dancing away in that Cavern!!! :)
Thanks for your kind comments, Patricia. :wink:
Cheers Joe.
Silver-Haired-Hippy

Great photo Joe! :D

Loretta
A bit of Bootle in Wales
fatboyjoe90

Thanks for that Loretta. :wink: :wink:
Cheers Joe.
Patricia

Good Morning~ - Hope this short video of "Lovely Liverpool" works ..........

Patricia Richardson
Patricia

Good Afternoon!! This old map was posted on my Facebook to-day and I thought you might be interested in same......

Bernie R

Patricia

When you convert a photo using Postimages site, select the 'Direct' link and it should show up bigger in the forum.

Bern
Patricia

Bernie: That is so nice of you to try and help me but I'm afraid it is "Chinese" to ME - Where does it say "Direct Link?" When I go to "Add image to post" a list of different sizes come up but whenever I click on a larger size, nothing happens. I'm just not that "Computer knowledgeable" I'm afraid!! :(

This cheered me up no end, I bought some Donnelly's Irish Sausage Rolls from the English Shop and had two of them for lunch... Scoffed one immediately and managed to take a pic before I devoured the other!!! :D

Silver-Haired-Hippy

The photo didn't need enlarging for me Patricia, I could almost taste it! Hope you and your family are doing well.

Loretta
A bit of Bootle in Wales
fatboyjoe90

Liverpool and Industrial Merseyside. :wink:

Cheers Joe.
fatboyjoe90

A real scene in Carnaby Street in the 60s :wink: :lol: :lol:
Cheers Joe.