Picture of the day - bernie johno

Join in here with our very own Bootle Chatterbox...
graham01

should have added that you can take your dog there on a lead.
origin waterloo.present and future bootle.
Paul

Nice shots Graham.

Paul
Born Kirk Street
bernie johno

great pics graham and info
boss pic of the sun paul :D :D :wink:
hood st ,norton st, spenser st ,
Patricia

Fall Foliage on the Skyline Drive, Shenandoah National Park.
everliver

Walkabout in the Albert Dock
everliver

And it's free to walk around
everliver

A bit windy on Sunday morning
everliver

Walkabout in the Albert Dock
Invicta

Nice Bob. We intend to revisit next time we are up and the new museum which wasn’t quite finished the last time we had time to visit “town” We never have enough time to see all we want to see when we are up there. :roll: Ken
bernie johno

great pics bob and patricia will get back posting some soon :D :D :wink:
Invicta

Our back lawn, early May, just now. And mid July. Amazing how it recovers with a bit of weather. The July pic was after the hot June with water usage guidance locally. Ken

graham01

loving all the pics as usual,my effort is of the entrance to MANDRAKI harbour in rhodes town.graham.
Shelagh

Some really nice pictures being posted :)

Enjoying them all, many thanks :D
bernie johno

formby beach yesterday with the better half and the grandkids weather was great :D :D :wink:
graham01

another one from mandraki harbour rhodes,this time a close up of one of the columns.this was the ALLEDGED site of the collossus of rhodes(the columns are supposed to be where the legs where).
more recent research has questioned if it really existed,although itis believed that plans were made for such a statue but were never followed through.

graham01

another one from mandraki harbour rhodes,this time a close up of one of the columns.this was the ALLEDGED site of the collossus of rhodes(the columns are supposed to be where the legs where).
more recent research has questioned if it really existed,although itis believed that plans were made for such a statue but were never followed through.

graham01

sorry,senior moment, :oops: :oops: :oops:
fatboyjoe90

Great photos guys keep posting them. :wink: :D :D :D
Cheers Joe.
Matt

Well Graham the stories that I read about the 7 Wonders of the World say that the Colossus was built
by Chares of Lindos and when an earthquake toppled it lay in the water near Mandraki for 900 years before the conquest by the Arabs
and was carted off piece by piece to Syria for the value in bronze.Not trying to be argumentative or a smart ar*e but I have a great interest in
all things in the ancient world,modern history not so much but ancient history I just cannot get enough of it(you should have seen me in Israel :D )
Matt
graham01

Matt,modern findings under neath the supposed legs of the collossus of rhodes found it was immpossible to have suppurted such a structure.
Also there is no drawings or sketches of the monument from ancient times.
There does exist drawings 120 years before the date of the supposed statues erection.the field archiolagist i met in the temple of apollo in theologos said to me the only reason it is not so well known is down to the ancient myth and the need to sell tourist tat.graham.
Patricia

A Steam Train ride to see the Foliage a few years ago. They even stopped the train allowed us to all get
off, backed it up, then it came roaring around the corner huffing & puffing in all its glory so we could get
some good photographs. :D :D
Matt

Sorry I had to copy and paste the following Graham.Just could not remember all that my cousin Naomi's archeologist sister in law
told me when we where in Israel.She, C'hen, had just come back from field excavations in Rhodes and then Cyprus and we had just come from Rhodes and Nicosia
before the cruise ship docked in Haifa.

While scholars generally agree that anecdotal depictions of the Colossus straddling the harbour's entry point have no historic or scientific basis, the monument's actual location remains a matter of debate. The floor of the Fortress of St Nicholas, near the harbour entrance, contains a circle of sandstone blocks of unknown origin or purpose. Curved blocks of marble that were incorporated into the Fortress structure, but are considered too intricately cut to have been quarried for that purpose, have been posited as the remnants of a marble base for the Colossus, which would have stood on the sandstone block foundation.
Matt
graham01

matt,the debate on the subject of above mentioned statue has been going on for years.when i went to rhodes 4 weeks ago i spent 2 afternoons at mandraki harbour but did not walk on the far side.will do on my next trip there.here is a photo st.christophers tower.i have only seen it from a distance but next trip will explore more.
Matt

To be continued at a later date then Graham :lol: :lol:
Would love for you to meet C'hen.She is employed by the Israeli Government in
the same kind of capacity as the archeologists in Chester.Any new work to be done on roads,housing developments etc
has to have a resident expert to assess what they find.She is certainly not what people think archeologists look or act like.
She's 29 very tall and slim, height of fashion but loves what she is doing.IE ..digging in the mud and sand :lol:
Matt
graham01

thats one job i would love to have had.but hey ho.graham..
bernie johno

Burbo :D :D :wink:
bernie johno

enlarged :D :D :wink:
graham01

Ta bernie. :D :D :D
graham01

jurgen klopp pulling me a pint in the sun pub in BEAMISH.graham.
graham01

some shots of the free transport available in BEAMISH .graham.

graham01

some more.

bernie johno

just need benitez waiting on :D :D :wink:
Shelagh

Great pictures everyone :)

Graham, Beamish looking very interesting and colourful, not got around to visiting yet!
Old trams and buses look lovely, if not, a little uncomfortable :D couldn't imagine going to Blackpool on one of those..but I guess they did back in their day!

Sounds like you had fun on your trip to the North East, Northumberland people are lovely, so friendly!
Son-in-laws family live in the little coastal town of "Seaton Sluice" Newcastle, I used to spend a lot of time up there, got to know the surrounding areas, the place was so welcoming (they love scousers) couldn't believe amount of facilities available in the local parks (clean toilets, tea rooms, no litter, safe play areas) imagine that here :lol:
The t.v. programme "Vera" was recently being filmed in the little grove where the family live..I shall have to keep an eye out for the programme when it returns :wink:
Have recognised all the places so far, only watch it for that reason :)
Hope you enjoyed the whiskey, Graham :lol:
graham01

whisky going down a treat,thanks.another pic from the north east.this time a view of ST.MARYS ISLAND AND LIGHTHOUSE off the coast at whitley bay.
BossHogg

Another nautical one, looking inland from the end of my local pier. ;)