Any tax experts please

Join in here with our very own Bootle Chatterbox...

Any tax experts please

Postby marknjen » Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:41 pm

Hi peeps,
My brother worked for wimpy/Burger King for over 20 years starting off at front till right up to assistant manager, in doing so ended up with leg ulcers, varicose veins and terrible leg pain forcing him to quit and become reliable on state benefits, however 2009 he was begged to come back as his old shop was struggling, he agreed, he informed DWP and his local job centre helped him fill in the relevant forms todo so, it didn't last long as the pain became unbearable again and on doctors advice he was forced to leave again or risk loosing his legs! Now back on state benefits as his legs are still in terrible state, black and blue, even had operations to remove the veins....out of nowhere the tax office rang him informing him the job centre gave him the wrong tax code when he returned to help out and they now want £2000 back from him! None of this being my brothers fault! Anyone any ideas! As this was 2009 he has no payslips or any documents from back then as he's also sinced moved to a new home! He's in a terrible state over this!
Thanks
marknjen

Re: Any tax experts please

Postby WatsonTommy » Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:39 pm

if he gets pension credit he can get legal aid as the rich get it so he can maybe get a barrister but ne is taking on the government ask him to go and see his local ombudsman or peter dowd MP for sefton he might put him right mark your brother might have hardening of the artery did he smoke at all :roll:
WatsonTommy

Postby marknjen » Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:48 pm

Thanks Tommy
No he never smoked, apparently it's from standing in the same spot for long hours everyday for years mate!
marknjen

Postby WatsonTommy » Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:42 pm

well there's many shops in the strand were staff are not allowed to sit down no stools or chairs provided working on and up to12 hour shifts on there feet all day :?: where's your health and safety boys now :roll: a lot of these kids come into witherspoons for a drink after work and ask can i borrow your chair mister me feet are killing me :roll: and we oldies give up our stools sad so sad mark the people on this web will help we no everything and if we don't know we will ask someone who does know and try to put you right :D
WatsonTommy

Postby marknjen » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:11 pm

Cheers Tommy
marknjen

Postby bjones » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:33 pm

Mark, you say your brother was informed of this by telephone, that's surprising but has he also received written details of the underpayment?
The written assessment should give accurate details of how this underpayment has occurred.
These details should include the code number operated as well as previous taxable income (part of sick benefit is taxable) received in the year in which his employment recommenced. Only the tax office issue tax codes, employers or benefits agencies simply operate them. If the benefit agency or employer has not operated the code issued by HMRC then it's not his fault. If your brother has provided the full and accurate information needed to enable the tax office to issue the correct tax code for the year in which this underpayment arose (2009?) then it sounds like he has a case to ask for an Extra Statutory Concession (aka ESC A19). You can find a standard letter to copy on line which he could copy but in his position I'd get along to the CAB (Sefton one is at Goddard Hall Knowsley Rd) and take the letter/forms he gets from HMRC with him. Taking the paperwork with him is most important as it should enable the advisors to explain things to him clearly.
Good luck with this
Bee

"Life" is a gift to you. The way you live your life is your gift to those who come after.
bjones

Postby dorothy834 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:04 pm

Hi Mark..is your brother sure it was the tax office making the call???
so many scams and hoaxes if he has no official mail as Bee says go
to c.a.b..good luck to him.
dorothy834
dorothy834

Postby Matt » Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:44 am

Hi Mark that sounds like the scam doing the rounds in Canada.No official letter just a phone call demanding money from
underpaid taxes. Get it checked out.
Matt
Matt

Postby marknjen » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:52 am

Thanks everyone I'll definitely chase this up! Didn't even think it could be a scam...thanks guys!
marknjen

Postby ALAMO2008 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:58 am

Having worked for HMRC for 40 years, we never Rang anyone demanding money for any reason.
Any PAYE Tax underpayment had to be notified with a paper Tax Assessment for each year showing what was paid and what should have been paid and an explanation how it occurred.
PAYE underpayments were normally collected through the Tax Code the following year or years.
If the person wasn't paying any Tax in those future years, then after several years a decision was made to write the Tax off as uncollectable.

The HMRC website usually has details of current "Phishing" Scams they been made aware of.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... s-examples
ALAMO2008

Postby dorothy834 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:49 pm

Hi Mark..Chester Chronical today
Tax Office scams doing the rounds
Dorothy
dorothy834
dorothy834

Postby dorothy834 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:07 pm

Warning over fake tax collectors in Cheshire targeting victims

Three similar reports to Cheshire police in the past 24 hours

28SHARESCOMMENTS
dorothy834
dorothy834

Postby Bernie R » Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:36 pm

Always thought the tax office only chase things from current plus previous 6 tax years?
Born and raised in Romeo Street, later Lambeth Walk, Jersey Close, Garden Place, Hawthorne Rd, Gonville Rd now Netherton
Bernie R

Postby ALAMO2008 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:23 pm

Bernie R wrote:Always thought the tax office only chase things from current plus previous 6 tax years?

Correct - Bernie R
ALAMO2008

Postby Invicta » Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:40 pm

Phew :lol: :lol: :lol: K
Invicta

Postby ALAMO2008 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:14 pm

Should have said Correct Normally
but in exceptional cases, like Intentional Fraud
usually Self Employed people understating and in Company Cases,
there is no restriction in the time limit the Revenue can go back.
The Revenue don't have to prove anything in law,
The Inspector only has to have a Reasonable Belief that things have been understated.
The Onus is then on the Taxpayer to prove with their Records that their figures are Factual and Correct
If they can't then the Revenue's Estimated Figures stand and are enforceable and collectable in law.

For Peace of Mind - I suggest that the victim in this initial post, contact HMRC by letter and ask them to confirm whether an arrears really exists and for copies of any Assessments which may have been sent but not received.
You probably will get a reply in writing stating no such debt exists.
ALAMO2008

Postby WatsonTommy » Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:16 pm

ok mark :D that any help
WatsonTommy

Postby marknjen » Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:17 pm

Thanks a lot peeps really appreciate your advice and help! I said to my brother the ither week re something different that if I don't get help from from this forum I'd be shocked! Cheers :wink:
marknjen

Postby marknjen » Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:49 pm

He received a letter with HMRC on it, it seems legitimate, ill try show wants written without showing important info...bare with me!
marknjen

Postby marknjen » Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:52 pm

New update...our cousin who works for tax office is now looking in to it for him! I'll keep you posted! :wink:
Thanks again for advice and help guys!
marknjen

Postby walter raybould » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:29 pm

I had a similar experience many years ago, an Agency i had worked for had used a wrong tax code,blaming it on HMRC,who in turn blamed the Agency. Fortunately i had kept all correspondence and log's of phone calls. I was advised by HMRC to write to them and enclose all relevant details covering the past few years of that time.
Some time later they replied.informing me that after close consideration,i was to have my case stood down, which meant the underpayment was cancelled. So, although
it may not be of much use to the subject here, it does indicate that the HMRC, are open to reason. I hope you have similar success.
walter raybould

Postby marknjen » Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:21 am

Thanks
marknjen

Return to Chat about anything with the Bootle Bucks