Your place to talk about your Bootle memories
Jan

Author Topic
Jan
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
110 Posts
Posted - 13 Mar 2006 : 18:37:18
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I saw this in the Echo tonight, thanks to Doe for telling me about it.
http://icliverpool.icnetwork.co.uk/0100 ... _page.html

Betty
Advanced Member

New Zealand
124 Posts
Posted - 13 Mar 2006 : 19:13:12
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mr Brooks is so right "our heritage will be lost". Way to go N.A.D.
Thanks Jan

quote:
Originally posted by Jan

I saw this in the Echo tonight, thanks to Doe for telling me about it.
http://icliverpool.icnetwork.co.uk/0100 ... _page.html

historybootle
Bootle Admin

199 Posts
Posted - 14 Mar 2006 : 00:09:26

Hi Jan

Keep us updated with news + your pics.

Mack

www.bootlehistory.com

Jan
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
110 Posts
Posted - 14 Mar 2006 : 00:40:31

Hi Mack,

I will do my best, got a rotten cold after all the snow at the week-end, all me lecky went off too, so couldn't get the central heating going!

The block of houses on Queens Rd/Keble Rd are now gone, but I wasn't able to get out and take pics, the weather hindered me.

Jan

historybootle
Bootle Admin

199 Posts
Posted - 14 Mar 2006 : 00:52:36

Flippin eck ! know what you mean Jan...and that wind today !!! I climbed into my fridge before to get a warm. Hope you're feeling better soon.

Mack

www.bootlehistory.com

Jan
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
110 Posts
Posted - 14 Mar 2006 : 00:55:48

Thanks Mack,

By the way, I am not getting e-mails to replies to posts! it's only if I log in again and find there has been new replies.

Jan

historybootle
Bootle Admin

199 Posts
Posted - 14 Mar 2006 : 05:09:13

Hiya Jan

Are you checking your messages from the email address you signed up here with ?

Mack

www.bootlehistory.com

Jan
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
110 Posts
Posted - 14 Mar 2006 : 11:20:26

Sorry Mack,

I hadn't subscribed to the topic

I am getting messages ok now.that I am!

Jan

Betty
Advanced Member

New Zealand
124 Posts
Posted - 14 Mar 2006 : 20:13:37

Hi Jan
hope you're getting over your cold - hot whisky toddy is good Had my annual 'flu jab yesterday and hope it helps keep those bugs away for our winter which is just around the corner

Originally posted by Jan

Hi Mack,

I will do my best, got a rotten cold after all the snow at the week-end,

Jan
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
110 Posts
Posted - 14 Mar 2006 : 20:54:55

Thanks Betty,

I am much better now thanks. It was a bit warmer today too, so that made life a bit easier. People say I am too nesh! I love all these old sayings.

We will have to have a seperate posting for old sayings, I have loads of them!

Jan

Betty
Advanced Member

New Zealand
124 Posts
Posted - 14 Mar 2006 : 22:02:36

I'm always saying that to my husband when he insists on wearing a sweater on what I think is a warm day Good to hear you're better.

quote:
Originally posted by Jan

Thanks Betty,

I am much better now thanks. It was a bit warmer today too, so that made life a bit easier. People say I am too nesh! I love all these old sayings.

Jan

sheilagraham
Advanced Member

Australia
58 Posts
Posted - 15 Mar 2006 : 00:49:14
Originally posted by Jan

Thanks Betty,

Jan
[/quote
-------
Jan and Betty....Last week I told my daughter that she was nesh...the word just fell out of my mouth...I wouldn't have used it since I was 12!!...My son in law who is from London had never heard of the saying. What a coincidence that it has been used here. At the time I said it I made a mental note to look it up..but of course the mental and the note quicky disappeared and I forgot....Does anyone know where the word came from? sheila.g

Jan
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
110 Posts
Posted - 15 Mar 2006 : 00:57:22

Hi Sheila & Betty,

I don't know where the saying comes from but have a look at this.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/liverpool/localhis ... ouse.shtml

historybootle
Bootle Admin

199 Posts
Posted - 15 Mar 2006 : 01:01:38

Hiya

I still say "nesh" all the time to my mates when they complain of how cold it is. No one bats an eyelid here as it is still used regularly in Bootle. I wonder where the word originates from ?

Mack

www.bootlehistory.com

Betty
Advanced Member

New Zealand
124 Posts
Posted - 15 Mar 2006 : 01:02:38

Looked it up and all it says is the meaning "soft, tender, delicate" so Jan - that's not a bad thing for a female to be called - not sure about a male though

[/quote
What a coincidence that it has been used here. At the time I said it I made a mental note to look it up..but of course the mental and the note quicky disappeared and I forgot....Does anyone know where the word came from? sheila.g

historybootle
Bootle Admin

199 Posts
Posted - 15 Mar 2006 : 01:04:02

Bump! Posted about "nesh" at the same time as you there there Jan.

Mack

www.bootlehistory.com

historybootle
Bootle Admin

199 Posts
Posted - 15 Mar 2006 : 01:05:28

Bumped again there Betty.

Mack

www.bootlehistory.com

Jan
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
110 Posts
Posted - 15 Mar 2006 : 01:07:29

Mack & Betty,

did you have a look at the link above?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/liverpool/localhis ... ouse.shtml

I think we keep bumping into each other here lol

Betty
Advanced Member

New Zealand
124 Posts
Posted - 15 Mar 2006 : 01:12:42

found this on BBC site :

""For example the local word “Neshâ€ÂÂÂ