Your place to talk about your Bootle memories
Betty

Author Topic
Betty
Advanced Member

New Zealand
124 Posts
Posted - 14 Mar 2006 : 01:03:49
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyone on this forum evacuated out of Liverpool during the war? My older sister and brother were sent to Wales and didn't return until war was over. I didn't go as was too young. They went with other children and teachers from their school.

kay426
Average Member

United Kingdom
8 Posts
Posted - 14 Mar 2006 : 10:41:11
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My dad was evacuated to Knighton Powys during the war and he goes back three times a year without fail. We spent most of our childhood holidays there. Lovely place. My nan used to say they had to bribe him to come home for a visit.

Jan
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
110 Posts
Posted - 14 Mar 2006 : 11:24:05

Hi Betty,

My mum and her sisters were sent to Abersoch in the evacuation. She kept in touch with the family who took them in for many years after the war, the house still exists and is now a B&B.

Jan

Betty
Advanced Member

New Zealand
124 Posts
Posted - 14 Mar 2006 : 18:36:10

My late brother and sister were sent to a tiny village outside Aberystwyth but they were not billeted together and they did not enjoy the experience. They went in 1939 and came back 1944 and were like strangers to me From what I have read evacuation was done with good intentions but wasn't successful in many cases....

quote:
Originally posted by Jan

Hi Betty,

My mum and her sisters were sent to Abersoch in the evacuation. She kept in touch with the family who took them in for many years after the war, the house still exists and is now a B&B.

Jan

peter
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
27 Posts
Posted - 14 Mar 2006 : 20:48:22

Hi Betty
Yes, my sister and I were evacuated. Around 1942 I went to somewhere in Shropshire. Don't know the name of the place but it was at a large house owned by the writer J.B. Priestly. Then when I was old enough to go to school I joined my sister at a place called Hopesey (?) near Craven Arms. I went back about 5 years ago but could only identify the church, not the house where I stayed.
Peter

Betty
Advanced Member

New Zealand
124 Posts
Posted - 14 Mar 2006 : 22:15:01

Looked up Hopesay - sounds like you went to a nice place.

quote:
Originally posted by peter
I joined my sister at a place called Hopesey (?) near Craven Arms. I went back about 5 years ago but could only identify the church, not the house where I stayed.
Peter

Hi all
I found this excellent Liverpool Museum site with info & great pics of Liverpool/Bootle blitz and especially of the evacuation of Liverpool children. I have a personal interest in this as my brother and sister were evacuated to North Wales for 5 years 1939-1944 where they had a pretty miserable & harrowing time, they came back as strangers speaking fluent Welsh!

http://www.liverpoolmuseums.org.uk/nof/ ... _info.html

Also, there's this great pic of bombed Stanley Rd bridge

http://www.liverpoolmuseums.org.uk/nof/blitz/1700.html
Sheila Graham
Location: Adelaide, South Australia. Formally Fernhill Road, Bootle

[quote="Betty"]Hi all
I found this excellent Liverpool Museum site with info & great pics of Liverpool/Bootle blitz and especially of the evacuation of Liverpool children. I have a personal interest in this as my brother and sister were evacuated to North Wales for 5 years 1939-1944 where they had a pretty miserable & harrowing time, they came back as strangers speaking fluent Welsh!

----
What a sad time it must have been for all concerned. Thankfully I wasn't born 'til 1944 so I missed this. I know my two oldest brothers were sent to Southport to live. They had a lovely family to stay with but one brother wanted to come home because he 'had girls in the classroom' and he didn't like it.:-)) Our Irish family wanted my mum to go over with the children but she wouldn't leave dad. sheila.g
blondie

my husband was evacuated to Caernarfon a few years ago we went back to the house he was in it is now a boarding house and my husband could tell the owners all about it and even took them to an alcove were a door leading into the next house used to be we were shown around and it brought many memories back to him and new stories for the owners to pass on
Blondie :lol: :lol:
Sheila Graham
Location: Adelaide, South Australia. Formally Fernhill Road, Bootle

blondie wrote:my husband was evacuated to Caernarfon a few years ago we went back to the house he was in it is now a boarding house and my husband could tell the owners all about it and even took them to an alcove were a door leading into the next house used to be we were shown around and it brought many memories back to him and new stories for the owners to pass on
Blondie :lol: :lol:
----
Hiya Blondie...what a lovely story...I hope your hubby was happy there. How wonderful that he could remember that door. Five years ago I took my children around Orrell school that I left in 1949, and once I got inside I couldn't relocate myself at all. And I wanted to show them Roberts school but I couldn't even find that....and I only left it 47 years ago!!
LOL sheila.g
blondie

hello Sheila
yes he had 4 good years there the house was used as a hostel for a lot of children at one time he remembers going down into the celler were all the veg was kept and eating carrotts also christmas morning when he found a tin of sherbet!! turned out to be tooth powder no prizes for guessing what happened next (horrible child)
me I was a war baby born on hitlers birthday , you think my mum could have hung on until next day the queens birthday oh well!
Blondie :lol: :lol: :lol:
Jan

:D

Hi Blondie,

When was Hitler Born?

July July July get it?

8) Sorry having a bad joke day!

Jan
Mack
Site Admin

Hi Blondie

I love your band by the way.