Your place to talk about your Bootle memories
Betty

Author Topic
Betty
Advanced Member

New Zealand
124 Posts
Posted - 25 Feb 2006 : 02:13:31
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

in our school assembly Hall we had a large Bootle Borough Coat of arms back of the stage with the usual "Respice, Aspice, Prospice" motto underneath. And often in morning assembly us girls would chant together "Re -spice - Ah- spice and Pro - spice" (as in ground spice) until we got told off. And everytime I see that phrase now I think of back then & how silly we were

henry
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
98 Posts
Posted - 25 Feb 2006 : 10:35:26
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I liked posh spice.baby spice. but my favourite was SPORTY SPICE

historybootle
Bootle Admin

198 Posts
Posted - 01 Mar 2006 : 01:31:13

Hi Betty

Here is a pic of one of the versions of the Bootle Coat of Arms...

It was a really old pic of one of the versions so we didn't know how it originally looked exactly so we just filled the bits in that were missing.

"Respice, Aspice, Prospice"... pic is below...

Mack

www.bootlehistory.com

Betty
Advanced Member

New Zealand
124 Posts
Posted - 01 Mar 2006 : 03:24:24

Hi Mack
that only differs slightly from what appears on my old school reports (didn't I dread taking them home)
Here is an explanation of the Coat of Arms taken from one of P.Woolley's books on Bootle:

"The Bootle Coat of Arms were created & adopted in 1869, the year of the Borough's Incorporation.
The three gold stag's heads on the blue chevron were taken from the arms of the Earls of Derby.
The three blue fleur-de-lys on their silver background were taken from the arms of the Linacre family from Yorkshire; and the three mural crowns were adopted from the arms of the Bootle family.
The crest is surmounted by a rock lighthouse, which is rare and indicates the Borough's position at the mouth of the river Mersey.
The motto 'Respice, Aspice, Prospice' means
'Reflect on the past, consider the present and provide for the future'.

Question: did Bootle get to celebrate it's 100 years as Borough?

quote:
Originally posted by historybootle

Hi Betty

Here is a pic of one of the versions of the Bootle Coat of Arms...

It was a really old pic of one of the versions so we didn't know how it originally looked exactly so we just filled the bits in that were missing.
"Respice, Aspice, Prospice"... pic is below...

Mack

sheila
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
33 Posts
Posted - 01 Mar 2006 : 21:31:51

Hi Betty
The centenary for Bootle borough was 1969 we had a street party to celebrate.
sheila

sheilagraham
Advanced Member

Australia
58 Posts
Posted - 04 Mar 2006 : 00:47:20

[quote]Originally posted by sheila

Hi Betty
The centenary for Bootle borough was 1969 we had a street party to celebrate.
sheila
------
Sheila, I have no recollection of it!!...I must have slept through it..LOL.
Thats another question will have to ask my cousin...sheila.g