Your place to talk about your Bootle memories
Mack
Site Admin

Author Topic
historybootle
Bootle Admin

198 Posts
Posted - 08 Feb 2006 : 21:01:51
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi everyone here is the link to some recent pics of Bootle I've recently taken. Streets include Balfour Road, Linacre Road, Linacre Lane, Knowsley Road, Stanley Road, Hawthorne Road, Bootle Cresent, Bailey Drive, Hornby Road, May Logan Centre, 3 Banks...

Click on link below to view pics...

http://www.bootlehistory.com/photos/boo ... /index.htm

Best wishes

Mack

Glenys
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
35 Posts
Posted - 09 Feb 2006 : 08:52:48
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mack,

You have brightened up my day!!
Just browsing through these new photographs, and wow ,there on Knowsley Rd 2, was the house I used to live in, first on the left, No.288. There used to be another house before it, a funny wedge shape house, the Garsides lived there. Wonder why it was demolished?

Knowsley Rd. 3, I remember Wolfendens Dairy, used to be on the right hand side.

historybootle
Bootle Admin

198 Posts
Posted - 09 Feb 2006 : 12:42:26

Hi

If anyone wants a higher quality copy of any of the NEW Bootle pics send us an email at bootlehistory@yahoo.comand I'll send you a copy for free by email ( maximum of 5 pics ).We don't have any dosh to print them out and send them by snail mail tho. The pics on the website are low quality so the pages load faster for dial up users.

Mack

henry
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
98 Posts
Posted - 09 Feb 2006 : 15:14:16

Thank Mack
Nice photies from my neck of the woods (Linacre road)
Keep them coming .
Good luck

Betty
Advanced Member

New Zealand
124 Posts
Posted - 09 Feb 2006 : 19:23:44

Great pics! esp of Bailey Drive and The Crescent. I used to live Turner Ave off Rafter Ave, off bailey dr. And as a kid was sent for 'messages' along bailey dr to the Crescent - looks like all the old shops gone though - Mortons dairy, Ross Fruiterers, Scotts (their bread and cakes were yum) Irwens, drapers, Standish Chemist, Iron mongers (hardware) Chip shop, butchers - I can see them all now - ah the memories - thanks Mack.

Betty
Advanced Member

New Zealand
124 Posts
Posted - 10 Feb 2006 : 00:40:13

In the 1940s - 50s I used to go to sunday school at Presbyterian church on corner of Bailey Dr and Roberts Dr - is that church still there? Also I used to have to cross Bailey Dr from Rafter Ave to go to school(no zebra crossing or lights then) - I would guess Bailey Dr would be too busy for little tots crossing there now

historybootle
Bootle Admin

198 Posts
Posted - 10 Feb 2006 : 01:26:35

Hi Betty

Yep! the Presbyterian church is still there. It is also used as a community centre. My niece attends dance class every Thursday evening there.
I'll try + get a piccy of it over the weekend.
The Cresent is mad with traffic nowadays. The house on the end (to the left of the Cresent in the pic) is a doctors surgery. They also used to have a practice on Stanley Road opposite the North Park, but they shut that surgery down a few years ago after they moved everything to the one by the Cresent.

Mack

Betty
Advanced Member

New Zealand
124 Posts
Posted - 10 Feb 2006 : 20:30:22

Thanks - I'd love to see recent pic of Presb. Church. I just remembered, I use to have to go to that church during the week too. Nearby Roberts School didn't have the room so they used to have some of their classes in that church such as our sewing class with all the old treddle machines set up in the main hall.
Interesting to hear about the changes and new Dr surgery. In 1940/50s our Dr Flanaghan had his surgery in small house end of Moss Lane, just near end of the Crescent. Can you tell me from which angle is that photo of Bailey Drive taken
I can see entrance to another street on right side but can't figure the name.

quote:
Originally posted by historybootle

Hi Betty

Yep! the Presbyterian church is still there. It is also used as a community centre. My niece attends dance class every Thursday evening there.

iplummer
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
49 Posts
Posted - 10 Feb 2006 : 22:13:05

Hi Glenys. I remember the Wolfendens Dairy, they used to live next door to me in Holywell Street. The two sisters then moved up to Netherton and lived in a flat above my parents. I remember old Mrs Wolfenden, but she died before they moved.

Irene

historybootle
Bootle Admin

198 Posts
Posted - 10 Feb 2006 : 22:34:12

Hi Betty

The angle of the pic of the Cresent was taken from Bailey Drive. I was actually standing on the central reservation. There is now a zebra crossing there from where I took the pic. The surgery is actually the same as the one you mentioned in your previous post and it is to the left of the Cresent. Still there after all these years.

Mack

Betty
Advanced Member

New Zealand
124 Posts
Posted - 11 Feb 2006 : 01:50:33

Sorry Mack, I didn't make my question very clear I meant to ask what direction the photograph of Bailey drive was taken - there is a corner of a road/ave on right hand side and I wondered if that was Rafter Ave or maybe Roberts Drive or ?
Looking at those pics it's almost like being back there though everything looks a bit different & older now - like me

[quote]Originally posted by historybootle

Hi Betty

The angle of the pic of the Cresent was taken from Bailey Drive. I was actually standing on the central reservation. There is now a zebra crossing there from where I took the pic.

historybootle
Bootle Admin

198 Posts
Posted - 11 Feb 2006 : 18:44:54

Hi Betty

Sorry about that I understand now. The pic of Bailey Drive was taken facing towards the direction of the Giro Bank ( now the Alliance and Leicester building ). In the distance you can see a yellow van. Just before there on the left is Roberts Drive.

below is the direct link to the page.

http://www.bootlehistory.com/photos/boo ... 0Drive.htm

I'll take a piccy of the church tomorrow (Sunday) + post it here on the forum for you tommorrow night.

Mack

www.bootlehistory.com

Betty
Advanced Member

New Zealand
124 Posts
Posted - 11 Feb 2006 : 21:14:42

Hi Mack
Ah, now I see where photo was taken - then that is the corner of Rafter Ave on the right side and where I used to come down from Turner Ave where I lived (off Rafter) and cross Bailey Dr to go to Church or to Roberts School.
The "Giro Bank" - thats all new to me and long after my time. At the end of Bailey Drive used to be "Dolly's Brew" - a little bridge over Ford Station. It was named after Dolly who had a tiny shop on the left side of bridge and we used to buy lemonade and sweets (if you were lucky as were rationed and scarce) Over the bridge on the right were fields, allotments and ponds were we used to get tadpoles and frogs On the left used to be gypsies in caravans but we used to run fast past them as they used to eat children don't you know What stupid things we used to believe Happy days! Does anyone else remember any of above
Thanks for the info, Mack, am looking forward to pic of church.

[quote]Originally posted by historybootle

Hi Betty

Sorry about that I understand now. The pic of Bailey Drive was taken facing towards the direction of the Giro Bank ( now the Alliance and Leicester building ). In the distance you can see a yellow van. Just before there on the left is Roberts Drive.

below is the direct link to the page.

historybootle
Bootle Admin

198 Posts
Posted - 11 Feb 2006 : 23:19:32

Hiya Betty

re: the Giro Bank (now the Alliance and Leicester)in the pic of Bailey Drive if you turn left at the end of the road you turn on to Netherton Way. I've included a link below to a pic of the planners looking at a model of the Giro Bank before it was built off the main road. Salesian high School is located to the left of the building now however it is still green fields in the original planning layout by the looks of it.

http://www.bootlehistory.com/photos/old ... derman.htm

Mack

www.bootlehistory.com

iplummer
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
49 Posts
Posted - 13 Feb 2006 : 22:24:40

quote:
Originally posted by historybootle

Hi everyone here is the link to some recent pics of Bootle I've recently taken. Streets include Balfour Road, Linacre Road, Linacre Lane, Knowsley Road, Stanley Road, Hawthorne Road, Bootle Cresent, Bailey Drive, Hornby Road, May Logan Centre, 3 Banks...

Click on link below to view pics...

http://www.bootlehistory.com/photos/boo ... /index.htm

Best wishes

Mack

Hello Mack - thasnks for the photos - the one for Balfour Rd brought back memories - I went to Salisbury Rd Infants school before the war and can remember running across the playground with my dinner to the air raid shelter - me and abour 30 other kids. \I|rene

sheilagraham
Advanced Member

Australia
58 Posts
Posted - 02 Mar 2006 : 09:46:08

quote:
Originally posted by Betty

Great pics! esp of Bailey Drive and The Crescent. I used to live Turner Ave off Rafter Ave, off bailey dr. And as a kid was sent for 'messages' along bailey dr to the Crescent - looks like all the old shops gone though - Mortons dairy, Ross Fruiterers, Scotts (their bread and cakes were yum) Irwens, drapers, Standish Chemist, Iron mongers (hardware) Chip shop, butchers - I can see them all now - ah the memories - thanks Mack.
------
Betty, the lady who used to own the chip shop...Mrs Delamere has a son, or grandson, whose name is found on many a list...I exchanged mails with him about 6 years ago....I am not sure if he is lurking on the scousers list....sheila.g

sheilagraham
Advanced Member

Australia
58 Posts
Posted - 02 Mar 2006 : 09:46:26

quote:

------
Betty, the lady who used to own the chip shop...Mrs Delamere has a son, or grandson, whose name is found on many a list...I exchanged mails with him about 6 years ago....I am not sure if he is lurking on the scousers list....sheila.g

sheilagraham
Advanced Member

Australia
58 Posts
Posted - 02 Mar 2006 : 09:51:02

In 1940/50s our Dr Flanaghan had his surgery in small house end of Moss Lane, just near end of the Crescent. Can you tell me from which angle is that photo of Bailey Drive taken
I can see entrance to another street on right side but can't figure the name.

-----------
Dr Flanagan was our family doctor, one of his favourite medicines was 'a drop of brandy in hot water':-))...When he died his nephew took over and I was never impressed with him...when I started nursing I was even less impressed with him....sheila.g

Betty
Advanced Member

New Zealand
124 Posts
Posted - 02 Mar 2006 : 20:17:51

When did he die - d'you know?

-----------
Dr Flanagan was our family doctor, one of his favourite medicines was 'a drop of brandy in hot water':-))...When he died his nephew took over and I was never impressed with him

sheilagraham
Advanced Member

Australia
58 Posts
Posted - 03 Mar 2006 : 02:47:28

quote:

When did he die - d'you know?
----------
Early 60s I would say.... might be later..I remember I had been in Portsmouth doing my midwifery training in 1970, I went home for a week and was unwell and needed a doctor but I wouldn't go to the nephew and my cousin Jean took me to her doctor Williams and I think he might have been at the other end of Moss Lane. All my sibling have died Betty, I don't have anyone to ask...Unless Jean remembers, she is 16 years older than me and her memory is so much better than mine..sheila.g
-----------
Dr Flanagan was our family doctor, one of his favourite medicines was 'a drop of brandy in hot water':-))...When he died his nephew took over and I was never impressed with him