Derby Park.

Your place to talk about your Bootle memories
Bonesy

Lian and myself took a trip down memory lane on Friday and visited Derby Park which is just around the corner from where Lian grew up.
The trip was prompted through us joining the excellent Friends of Derby Park facebook page where there are some great photos.
I'd recommend taking a walk through the park if you get the chance.
A few photos of our visit including one from 1935 when the Park still had a lake.

Keith
filsgreen

Fantastic park, Keith, where I played in the Black Hills, climbing trees and playing war. In the 60's we'd go there in the morning from Orrell and not come back till late at night, my mum wouldn't bat an eyelid. The only sustenance was swigging water from the tap at the top of the stairs. Different times. 😕
Matt

I used to deliver groceries for Liggetts corner of Park Street and Hawthorne Road to that house near the park gates that the head park keeper used to live in and a couple of years later had my first REAL adult kiss at those same park gates!!
Matt
Bonesy

Great memories Phil and Matt.
Phil, Lian said she used to play on the black hills also.

Keith
Walsh

Phil, Matt & Keith, It's always great to see a post about Derby Park. The Volunteers do a wonderful job there!
As a lad, I lived in Waterworks Street then Brookhill Road, nearby. By the 60s, the park lake had long gone but we once formed shifts and excavated a tunnel under the path between the old lakes. Our digging in the clay soil and stone took all day - only for the Parky to appear and make us fill in our archaeological dig! Drinking water fountains, toilets and well-kept fields for footy; we were in heaven.The park was an adventure playground, having swings, trees to climb, hills and bushes to roam around, bowling greens, grass for soccer and a bandstand where a brass band would sometimes play and an old fashioned fair would be held, complete with coconut shy, bric-a-brac and (Grandma's favourite) tombola.

As teenagers, we played tennis on the courts and courted in-between tennis. During the week, we caught the 57 bus to Bootle Grammar School in Netherton from Worcester Road, outside the gates shown by the Lodge. The bus stop was frequented by fashionable dolly birds (with diverse accents) heading for the new Giro or Midland Bank computer centres. Mini skirts were, sadly, followed by maxis then midis. But we were an appreciative audience at our very own fashion show! Walshy.
Last edited by Walsh on Tue Mar 12, 2024 11:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
Bonesy

Walshy, what a cracking story.
Everything you and Phil commented on is remembered fondly by my wife Lian.
Matt, you smoocher.
I never kissed at the park gates but certainly did on the benches :D

Keith
Bonesy

Just spotted this on ebay. No date unfortunately. The arch obviously corroded.

Keith
Graham Midgley

I also played on the Black Hills but spent a lot of time fishing for tiddlers in the lake. Fishing tackle was a bamboo cane with cotton line. float was a matchstick and the weight was a button. As bait i would get little red worms from the black mud. Tiddlers caught were taken home in a jam jar. Later i played tennis and in the early years the courts left a lot to be desired

Hop all are keeping well
Bonesy

Thank you for your memories Graham.
Apparently the post mark on the stamp reads 1920.

Keith
Bernie R

Being a tot, over the border, in Kirkdale. The South Park was our normal playground - although we called it Kings Park.

On occasions, we'd get adventurous and set off on an epic trek to 'the Ducky Park' - presumably because of its 'duck pond'.

In later years (late teens/early twenties) I had in-laws in Gloucester Road and would often nip over to Derby Park with my younger brother-in-law to play football or even hire out a set of woods and enjoy the bowling greens - is that still a thing there I wonder?

Bern
Born and raised in Romeo Street, later Lambeth Walk, Jersey Close, Garden Place, Hawthorne Rd, Gonville Rd now Netherton
Bonesy

Bern, I didn't take much notice but I'm sure the bowling green is still there.

Keith
bjones

Some great memories recalled here. I think I must have been the only BGSG pupil who never ate chips in this park at lunch time :( In fact I have no memory of ever having been inside although I walked past those gates on Keith's first pic very many times on my way too and from school.

I have this postcard in my collection; perhaps someone can confirm that the "Bootle Park" mentioned is in fact Derby Park??

Bee

"Life" is a gift to you. The way you live your life is your gift to those who come after.
Bonesy

It seems it is indeed Derby Park bee.
Someone else on the fb page has also got the post card and asked the very same question.

how do i upload a picture

Keith
bjones

Thanks Keith.
Wasn't it grand!
Although I have to wonder why they spent so much money on such a lavish park whilst many of the townspeople were living in really poor conditions.
Bee

"Life" is a gift to you. The way you live your life is your gift to those who come after.
Graham Midgley

I remember well the two "snaggers" park keepers named McNiff and Sly Eye
Graham Midgley

Does anybody remember the air raid shelters that were in Derby park by Fernhill road?
Paul McCabe

Tree Art....Derby Park

Below looking from Waterworks towards Fernhill Rd...Bandstand & 3 'Tree Art carvings'

Below...1st Tree Art viewed towards Waterworks St

Below 2nd Tree Art (Middle steps in background)

Below 3rd tree (adjacent Bandstand...Middle steps in background

Below taken on Upper level "Poulson Statue" in background...felled trees for kids to climb on (H&S gone nuts)

More of previous shot above

They.ve been there a good few months now......skilled carvings & pleasant on the eye.

Cheers

P
bjones

They are brilliant! would love one in my garden but I bet they'd cost a fortune.
Thanks for posting your pix Paul.
Bee

Bonesy

You'd love this one Bee :D
Paul has posted this one. This is a close up by one of the Derby Park Volunteers.

It's called "Bee Happy" :D

Keithos
lynne99

Thanks for all those memories. I also used to play in the Black Hills against my mum's orders. So please you had a nice day , Keith.

lynne
bjones

Bonesy wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 10:35 am You'd love this one Bee :D
Paul has posted this one. This is a close up by one of the Derby Park Volunteers.

It's called "Bee Happy" :D
Keithos
You're right, I'd LOVE that one in my garden Keith!
Reminds me of my mum who always signed off greetings cards "God bless, be happy". That was she ever wanted for her kids.

Lynne good to see you posting again. I've been wondering about you and our other school friend Joyce N too.
Bee

lynne99

Some times there are just not enough hours in a day !! :D
bjones

That's retirement for you Lynne :lol:
Bee

lynne99

Right, not sure about this , but I still teach 1.5 days a week. Very loath to give up , as my Dad died as soon as he did at 70.
The postcard of the middle steps, I am unsure what the building that seems to be at the top of them is. So I am not sure. There were also 2 small huts, 1 each side, though I am sure 1 couls have been added later or be just out of shot. What do others think.
bjones

Lynne, I seem to recall that you teach in the prison service? Good for you. Don't retire until you stop enjoying what you do!
Back to Derby park...
Bee

lynne99

On the post card, does any one know what the building is. It can be seen at the top of the steps and I can't place it. Thanks
Bonesy

Lynn. It's the Poulsom Memorial.
As in Poulsom Drive in Ford.

https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/1437767

Keith
lynne99

Thanks Bonsey, I thought it was pink!! and a spire... Oh dear. I see it now. I knew it was there walked past it many times. Thanks again
Mack
Site Admin

Video (copyright) by Jonathon Wild.

LIVERPOOL TOURS - A walk around Derby Park, Bootle. (4K)

22 minutes.

lynne99

Thank you so much for posting and whoever took the footage. It brings back so many memories. I was so lucky having that on my doorstep.