Bootle Saying's

Your place to talk about your Bootle memories
WatsonTommy

jwalker85@hotmail.com wrote:
vicbee wrote:I was looking at the picture of the demolished taxi office posted by BOBHAMO, my late mum ( Ann Brennan nee Porter) worked there for a few years in the late 70's, it got me and my dad talking off the thing's she always used to say.
Whenever she was asked where she came from she always replied 'Bootle where the bugs wear clogs' !! with pride!!!! , if us kids ever asked her what colour something was she would always reply 'sky blue pink with a finny adder border', and she always called the cupboard under the stairs the cooey not the cubby, whenever I call it this people not from Bootle don't know what I'm talking about!!

Vic
You have a good memory! You are most exact and correct I can remember my Grandmother Mary Nolan Walker using the same exact expressions when she didn't know what to say in reply to my question or that she didn't think it was appropriate for a young child to be asking shuch things.Joe
hi jimmmy did your family come from boreland st off marsh lane ( rember a saying hes got a head on him like a wharehouse cat ) i lived in audley st
pinkpoppy31

Some of the things i remember my Grandad and my parents saying

You have a face like a wet week!
You look like you've been dragged through a hedge backwards!
sky blue pink!
Got a cob on
Get your kecks on
plus a load thats been already said on here....had a lot of laughs reading them :)
Cragg - Moss families. lived in Bootle, Netherton and Formby
lynne99

pink poppy... My family always had to go one better.
We had a face like a wet weekend.
Also it was sky blue pink with a finny inny border... if that is how it is written
What fun. :D :D
PeterR

playing out in the street and it was time to go in for tea , My Mam would shout to us "If you don't come in now I'll smack you into the middle of next week"
Peterr
Born in Spenser Street
everliver

Great post loads that l have forgotten :?: :?:
bjones

lynne99 wrote:pink poppy... My family always had to go one better.
We had a face like a wet weekend.
Also it was sky blue pink with a finny inny border... if that is how it is written
What fun. :D :D
Lynne, it's sky blue pink with a Finnie Addy border ...Finnie Addy is scousespeak for Finnan Hadock that gorgeous bright yellow fish!
Bee

"Life" is a gift to you. The way you live your life is your gift to those who come after.
lynne99

I always got things wrong, unless I saw them written. Perhaps my hearing was never as good as it should have been. But that makes a great deal of sense now. Thanks :oops: Bit like Chinese whispers I suppose.
efc46

the girls used to sing this while skipping "Yellow matter custard green snot pie ,all mixed together with a dead dogs eye, slap it on a butty slap it on thick, then wash it down with a cup of cold sick
Davey Rowlands Bootle
PeterR

Remember that one too we got a "Go along " after saying it..
Peterr
Born in Spenser Street