Park Street and St. Monica's

Your place to talk about your Bootle memories

Park Street and St. Monica's

Postby peter c » Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:47 pm

I am still hoping to hear from anyone who lived on Park Street in the late 40's and early 50's. I lived at #21 from 47 to 57. I'm sure there are still some lads left who remember.
Also I would love to hear from others who went to St. Monica's in the 50's.
Thanx.
Peter
peter c

Re: Park Street and St. Monica's

Postby ab » Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:53 am

Hello, Peter, I lived just off Park St in the mid 50's, some names I remember from there are Wendy and Georgie Range, Kevin Davies, and John Lyons. I also attended St Monica,s at the same time, some teachers that I recall are, Mrs Redmond, Miss Hands, Mr Sanderson, Mr Hockenhull, Mr Doyle, Mr Lee
ab

Postby dannylewis » Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:09 am

Iwent to the old fever hospital on Fernhill rd disgrace of a school with sadistic teachers and priests i still have nightmares about the place ,Bully teacher mr Barry is dead now but should be investigated ,
dannylewis

Postby peter c » Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:24 pm

[quote="ab"]Hello, Peter, I lived just off Park St in the mid 50's, some names I remember from there are Wendy and Georgie Range, Kevin Davies, and John Lyons. I also attended St Monica,s at the same time, some teachers that I recall are, Mrs Redmond, Miss Hands, Mr Sanderson, Mr Hockenhull, Mr Doyle, Mr Lee[/quote]

The only name I remember is Kevin Davies. He had two brothers Brian and Ron. I lived directly across from them in the prefab number 21. A good pal of mine, Tom Smith, lived on Part Street too closer to Stanley Rd. It's been a long time but I still have good memories of that time. I thought St. Monica's was an ok school - didn't know any different. I had some good friends there.
peter c

Postby peter c » Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:29 pm

[quote="dannylewis"]Iwent to the old fever hospital on Fernhill rd disgrace of a school with sadistic teachers and priests i still have nightmares about the place ,Bully teacher mr Barry is dead now but should be investigated ,[/quote]

Hi Danny. Yes it was a bit rough, especially in the winter. You are right, Mr. Barry would not be tolerated today. I was only there for about two years then I went to Tech. and I have been in Canada since 1957. I'm sure there have been big changes.
Cheers,

Peter
peter c

Return to Talk about the History of Bootle here