Has anyone got a picture
henry

either a young kangaroo or in the old money an old threepennny bit
HENRY BORN FLORIDA STREET OFF STRAND ROAD
Invicta

Wasn't a Joey a "three penny bit " ? Ken
Matt

I believe it was a very simple gadget with an elastic band used for opening the
footy pools envelopes.My mum was 'Miss Efficiency" at either Vernons or Littlewoods because she could
open the envelopes faster than most other ladies and therefore mark more coupons.Hope I can find it but
she has a letter and an award somewhere in the little box of her treasures that she kept.
Matt
fatboyjoe90

The old silver threepenny bit, was known as the silver Joey. :wink:

Cheers Joe.
everliver

Some info on how they checked the coupon
fatboyjoe90

Invicta wrote:Wasn't a Joey a "three penny bit " ? Ken
This is why i posted the silver Joey.
Cheers Joe.
fatboyjoe90

Here you go Ken, pool clerks checking coupons. :wink:

Workers at Littlewoods and Vernons Pools Rooms.

One of the four large Littlewoods Pools rooms in 1949, where the women check coupons against the weekend's results.

A Vernons pools clerk checking coupons
Image nons pools clerk checking coupons

Workers at Vernons Pools

Liverpool and England player Roger Hunt mobbed by football fans at Littlewoods Pools during a visit to the Charnock Road call centre
Cheers Joe.
Maureeng

I worked for Vernons pools from when I left school til I got married , the second to last photo " workers at Vernons Pools" has joeys on the clerks desk's, at the bottom of the photo the two ladies looking forward each have a joey on their right hand side, the black funny looking thing with a handle with a knob on top, this is the joey and it was used for stamping the coupons last thing on a Saturday night before we went home, it was a security thing so every coupon had to have that security code stamped
on it or you would not get paid out. Hope this answers your question everliver. :)
Matt

Hi Maureen so I was wrong again.I knew there was a lady on the forum that worked for Vernons but I could not remember who it was.
but I have found my mothers "Miss Efficiency " letter signed by Vernon Sangster so she was at Vernons not Littlewoods when she
got that award.Keep punching your Joey.
Matt
everliver

Joe what can l say fantastic pictures a little bit more of Bootle, Liverpool history mate
Big thank you for the pictures, Joe :P :P

Maureen thank you now, people, who never worked in the pools industry know what a Joey was used for just a little bit more of local history. :D :D :D

Well my next question is how many pools buildings in Merseyside area a little bit of Bootle history :lol: :lol: :?: :?:
everliver

Can anyone name people in the picture Roger Hunt :lol: :lol:
everliver

Three Joe's in the third picture on front row used for stamping coupons cast iron frame with round wooden top. :D :D :D
Sheelagh Tequila

Maureen do remember the Par Nall (sp) room at Vernons on Hawthorne Road, it was the place where we used to feed all the coupons from across the country into huge computers which would then pick out all the possible winners, we worked shift work from 7pm Saturday until 9 pm Monday night, It was a great help for the pools workers and would save them an awful lot of work... My sister Kathleen worked in Cash dept in Hawthorne for years, a great gang of girls and friendships made for life.

Sheelagh Tequila :D
Maureeng

Hi Sheelagh, no, I don't remember that even though I worked at Hawthorne Road,after I had my first child Andrew I went back there working Sundays marking the coupons and left when I was expecting Gary, I loved working there. :)
Sheelagh Tequila

Hiya again Maureen, after a few months on days I chose to work nights 5pm - 7am Saturday/Sunday then 7pm-7am Sunday/Monday for this we were paid a full weeks wages. Slept most of Monday then up and out. I also took a 2nd job in TJ,s warehouse toy dept 3 days. I was loaded. I still think Vernons and Littlewoods gave us all a great a lesson on how to work hard and play hard. Any free time in between working I was out with the girls ...and a few lads :wink: 8)

Maureeng

I remember the shifts starting but it didn't suit me because of the children, I was on a good wage as well so can't complain,lol. :D :D
fatboyjoe90

This photo is from Gordon Ray, on the Memories of Litherland Site.
Vernons pools on the junction of Hawthorne Road Linacre lane. :D
Cheers Joe.
everliver

Joe, Fantastic picture.

Bobby
filsgreen

Great picture, Joe. I remember the red neon sign on the front of the building on the Linacre Lane side, stating "Post it to Vernons" and the image of a someone Posting an envelope. :D
Sheelagh Tequila

Smashing picture Joe, it brings back lots of memories,

fatboyjoe90

Thank for your comments Bob, Phil and Sheelagh. :wink: :)
Cheers Joe.
fatboyjoe90

Steam train passing Vernons Pools Aintree headquarters. :wink: :)

Cheers Joe.
fatboyjoe90

It looks like girls are giving blood. :wink: :)

Cheers Joe.
john j connell

Great photos Joe, reminds me of the mobile X-ray unit that was a familiar sight around the clinics and schools in Bootle and Liverpool in the 1950s. JJC.
fatboyjoe90

Thanks for that John, when I first saw it I thought the same, but i don’t think they'd be queuing for an X-RAYS though.
I had an MRI scan in Fazakerley in a mobile scanner at 20 50-hrs in March this year. :wink:
Cheers Joe.
everliver

Great pictures Joe
Maureeng

Great photo of Vernon's Hawthorne Road Joe, many happy memories from when I worked there. :D :D
everliver

Vernons
Last edited by everliver on Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
everliver

Vernons
henry

everliver wrote:Image

Vernons
Eddie calvert
HENRY BORN FLORIDA STREET OFF STRAND ROAD
everliver

All them ladies from Bootle well well :D :D :D

Great times in Vernons pools

Any pictures of Littlewoods Girls

Bobby
everliver

Does anyone still do the pools :D :D :D
Silver-Haired-Hippy

My mum worked for Littlewoods over Coffee House bridge? it wasn't until after she died I found out from her sister my aunty Betty she was a secretary there. I was under the impression she worked on the 'shop floor' checking coupons. She would meet me Friday after school (infants) and take me to town and buy me a Famous Five book and a little chicken, cant remember the name of it but it started with a p! I was such a fussy eater them days, not now!!! Any photos Bobby of the Littlewoods there? Thank you.

Loretta

Remembered! poussin!!
A bit of Bootle in Wales
42aitch

Vernons in Hawthorne Road was my first job, started in the Corres (Correspondence department) as a typist. My teacher was not impressed because I wasn't doing shorthand. However I was getting more money than the civil service were paying for a shorthand typist and my Mum needed the better wage. I was there until it closed supposedly to be pulled down. Went up to Ormskirk Overseas department then Only spent about 3 years in Vernons before I left and went to work in Liverpool for Automatic Telephones, later Plesseys.

After I was married and had my first child I started work again in Hawthorne Road (about 4 years later, it was still there) filling envelopes from 6pm to 10 - only temporary work never knew how long it would be, Then they came round asking for typists and got work typing up labels for the envelopes that the other girls were filling. Got more money and longer contracts, until that stopped and I became pregnant again. It was the only way to save as most Mum's didn't leave their children to go to work full time, and my Mum would look after my son until my husband came in from work.

Brings back memories with those photos of the pools clerks, we looked down on them at Hawthorne as we were on a balcony. Always had music when the clerks were filling the envelopes with next weeks pools coupons. And remember the sounds made by the Joeys when they were stamping the coupons after opening the mail.

Eileen
Litherland girl with Bootle parents.