Genies Help please !

Your place to talk about your Bootle memories
ALAMO2008

I remember my Mum who lived in Malcolm Grove off Marsh Street and went to Westminster Rd school, telling me of a school hood friend Sonny Jim ? who was a Dwarf and was a front man in a Liverpool Harmonica Gang in the 1940's & 1950's

Can anyone help on the name of the group ? or any other info ?
Ernie Jackson. (Bunty)

The nearest I can remember relating to this query was a Sonny Ross, who was also a dwarf and resided in the Kirkdale/Bootle area. He was a member of the dwarf wrestling team that performed on stage at the old Metropole Theatre on Stanley Road, near to Strand Road, just before the Second World war broke out. .
ALAMO2008

Yes, Sonny Ross that's the name, I remember now, Thanks
nicolas

Morton Fraser Harmonica Gang as I recall, about 1957 -
And from YouTube - https://youtu.be/sLPuUnVQ5DY

Last edited by nicolas on Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ernie Jackson. (Bunty)

The little guy in the band was Tiny Ross. He was born in Wales in1910, about the same the same age as Sonny Ross, so could easily have changed his name, as is usual in show business. . The only mention I can find of Tiny Ross regarding Liverpool was in Roy Hudds biography when he touches on meeting Tiny Ross in the Adelphi. Seems it may well be the same person as he was very talented and must have progressed well in show business after his early days in Bootle. Unusually for one of such small stature he lived to a good age.

I am sure our expert Genies will pick up on this as they are second to none in tracing folk, even to the most minute detail.
Last edited by Ernie Jackson. (Bunty) on Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dorothy834

Hi..There was a family in Cedar Street who had a dwarf in the family
if this is the same person his house would of backed onto the Metropole
I do remember that the son went with a circus ...his mother kept chickens
in the yard I was sent around there with cabbage leaves etc sometimes
got a few tasty eggs mmm
Dorothy.
dorothy834
Shelagh

Seems Sonny Ross was quite a character in the Kirkdale/Bootle area..my mother who lived in Argos Rd remembered him as a child, said he was a swine as a kid...always lashing out at people, still watched him on the tele though..I thought the Harmonica's were great, and little Sonny, a very funny man :lol: (good to look back now and then)