The Bootle Belle ?

Your place to talk about your Bootle memories
walter raybould

I was recently talking about a Canal Cruiser,i think it was called ' the Bootle Belle.' I am sure it was based at Marsh Lane,next to Dewhursts (the Butchers.)
I am living in Sheltered accom, where i believe the steps used to be to where the Belle used to moor.
Can anyone throw some light on this ? Cheers !
BOBHAMO

walter it was linacre lane :D :D steps and gate are still there
bobhamo
bootle born altcar road
walter raybould

Thanks Bob, I had lived outside the area for many years. Since returning, i have had memory flashbacks,but obviously was off the mark.
Your photo's were helpful.... Cheers. :D
PeterR

I remember the "Bootle Belle" well, It was a wide barge used previously to carry coal from the Wigan coal fields to the Bootle gas works, self propelled (Own engine) -Owned by Mr Caddick-who lived on the corner of Orrell Rd and Harris drive (no52)
He had done it up (cleaned out and painted )-lots of seating installed and cruises were from the berth at the bottom of steps in Linacre lane (as shown in the above pictures from Bob )-the cruise was to Melling Pub where everyone got off and went for a drink -Mr Caddick then took the Bootle Belle further along the canal to turn it for the return trip.
Bootle Belle cruise were very popular at that time (Just after the war) and were run on Saturday and Sunday's --music and sing songs provided lots of simple fun -mostly on the return trip :D -though only a young boy at the time I remember it well.
Peterr
Born in Spenser Street
Glenys

The Caddicks, owned Waterwitch, which 'cleaned' the docks etc.
Caddicks still own and operate.
Lived Linacre Lane, Trinity Road & Knowsley Road.
Sheila Graham
Location: Adelaide, South Australia. Formally Fernhill Road, Bootle

I think I went on the Bootle Belle...all of Ainsdale Road did. I think we got it from money left over from the Festival of Britain street party or the Queens coronation...I can't remember, I was about 8 or 9. We had a great time. Parents and children, I just can't recall where we went. I remember stopping, we all got out into a field and one of the mums, Mrs Preston perhaps stepped in a cow pat!!
My memory of the Bootle Belle.
Sheila
Sheila Graham

I remember those gates!! When I worked at Williams Harvey I used to walk past there from Fernhill Road. So is that were we would have got on the Bootle Belle for our day out? I wish I could remember.
Sheila.
PeterR

Yes, Sheila the gates shown in the pictures are the one You went through to go down steps to the barge, very interesting to see the gates and steps are still there -I remember the Bootle Belle trip when it first started after the war, was the Mrs Preston You mention from Rainford Ave ?
Peterr
Born in Spenser Street
Sheila Graham

PeterR wrote:Yes, Sheila the gates shown in the pictures are the one You went through to go down steps to the barge, very interesting to see the gates and steps are still there -I remember the Bootle Belle trip when it first started after the war, was the Mrs Preston You mention from Rainford Ave ?
Peterr
Peter, Mrs Rita Preston, she was my friends mum, she lived in Ainsdale Road, great place to grow up at that time. Lots of children around.
Sheila