jimmy mcgovern t.v. series - Bootle

Your place to talk about your Bootle memories
bernie johno

Imageupload images free
Imageupload image
More filming for sean bean telly play on friday this former chippy is going to be a betting shop for the day.Bootle has been used a lot for this including the bedford rd underpass and also scenes in bootle village :D :D :wink:
hood st ,norton st, spenser st ,
Ernie Jackson. (Bunty)

Posh new world name for 'the subway'. Times continue to change as ever. :roll:
bernie johno

noun. 1. a passage running underneath, especially a passage for pedestrians or vehicles, or both, crossing under a railroad, road, etc. Origin of underpass Expand.
glad you liked the pics ernie :D :D :wink:
Ernie Jackson. (Bunty)

The subway holds a significant period of my personal upbringing and experience and holds sad but life forming memories.

I didn't like the pictures.

They are something which do not depict any of my memories of Bootle as roller shutters and litter on the pavements did not exist in those wonderful times.. Neither will they cloud my happy childhood memories of a happy upbringing in a wonderful town.

They were always hard and poor times but the structure of the old town, and the people, was always proud. These photos to me, being now an old man, are very sad indeed.
bernie johno

as i am old enough to remember shops before roller shutters and still live in bootle i can only take pics of what i see it was a topic of possible interest to bootle people reference the tv show
the glad you liked the pictures was sarcastic Hope you have a wonderful Christmas you sound like a very friendly fella
Ernie Jackson. (Bunty)

No problem with that Bernie. Your photos are good, well meaning and well intended.

Maybe I am just feeling a bit melancholy.

Merry Christmas mate.
Mack
Site Admin

Great pics Bernie,

Top of my old street Hertford Road (All the old street demolished and rebuilt now).

Many happy memories there :)

Good stuff.

Mack :)
filsgreen

You are correct in using the term, underpass, Bernie. If nothing else, you can write what you want. :D However, in my opinion, it is the tendency to use American words in common discourse, that is the worry for me You hear it all the time on the TV.

Blackouts are now referred to as "power outages"and the Police are now "Cops". Of course it is the media's fault, as it insidiously creeps in to our national psyche. Natural evolution of our language I suppose, but it sticks in my craw. Is there anything we will not adopt from the Americans?

Ernie, has the Bootle you describe ever existed, outside of your memory? I concede that there weren't any roller shutters as they were probably not invented, but there were big metal grills on shop windows, were these more aesthetic? I would also contend there was litter strewn around Bootle when you were younger.

In the early 60's; I remember Spensely's shop on Hawthorne Road having metal grills on the window. Shops, which weren't adorned with these security items tended to be Chippie's, or sell low value goods.

I'm sure you must have attended a robbery where a brick was thrown through a shop window to good effect by the local brigand. Or did that just exist on the Dixon of Dock Green TV show? Grills or roller shutters were and are a necessary evil, which protected and protects the shopkeeper.

I would contend that there was plenty of crime and ne'er do wells on the streets of Bootle, and to some degree, litter. I'm sure you would have seen some chip paper strewn on the pavement.

I remember as a kid, seeing the street lamps and the Ribble bus garage on Hawthorne Road, festooned with rolls of bus tickets and old newspaper on the ground outside the chippie by Circle cabs.

Yes, you probably could leave your back door open, because no one had a lot to steal in those days and there was probably always someone at home to deter burglars. However, I would love to see the statistics for gas meters, that were broken into.

With you being an ex Policeman; I find it hard to believe that you would support an imaginary premise of a Bootle, that did not utilise crime prevention and residents that were not litterbugs.

Before anyone thinks that I'm putting down Bootle; I'm not. I'm just pragmatic enough to realise that the Bootle Ernie reminisces over, probably never existed. Bootle has, and probably always will be a working class town, demographics and Government policies will always ensure this.

What made the difference in them days is that there were a lot more Bernie's on the streets of Bootle, cleaning up our mess. Government cutbacks now ensure that Bernie has to work three times as hard, just to maintain the bare minimum of service.

I agree with Ernie about the erosion of civic pride, but to contend that there were no shutters on shop windows or litter on the streets of Bootle, well i just remember it differently. In my opinion :D
BOBHAMO

With out Bernie taking the time to take differant views of whats going on
in bootle , we would not have discusions to talk about
we can all try to remember was it that good years ago
when we where just Bootle it was managed at a much better level
on all fronts
looking through rose tinted glasses does not hide the fact
times where hard
bobhamo
bootle born altcar road
Elaine Goulding

Filsgreen, what a very condescending reply to Ernie Jackson's post. I am glad you were able to redeem yourself by agreeing on one statement he made. I too grew up on the same street as Ernie and remember the subway, subbie, underpass or whatever anyone wants to call it. I remember a much safer bootle, what I do not remember are shops boarded up to the extent they are now. Yes shopkeepers protected property when off premises, but nothing like now. On a visit home some years ago I was shocked to find some shops open for business with the door locked and opened by security. NEVER experienced that in the bootle I grew up in, however like Ernie, perhaps that was in my imagination! As you said at the end of your post it was just your opinion, just as it was Ernie's. however I think you could have explained your "opinion" in a far nicer manner........Just my opinion :wink:
Elaine

Bianca Street, Bootle - moved to Canada 1982
scotty

filsgreen wrote:You are correct in using the term, underpass, Bernie. If nothing else, you can write what you want. :D However, in my opinion, it is the tendency to use American words in common discourse, that is the worry for me You hear it all the time on the TV.

Blackouts are now referred to as "power outages"and the Police are now "Cops". Of course it is the media's fault, as it insidiously creeps in to our national psyche. Natural evolution of our language I suppose, but it sticks in my craw. Is there anything we will not adopt from the Americans?

Ernie, has the Bootle you describe ever existed, outside of your memory? I concede that there weren't any roller shutters as they were probably not invented, but there were big metal grills on shop windows, were these more aesthetic? I would also contend there was litter strewn around Bootle when you were younger.

In the early 60's; I remember Spensely's shop on Hawthorne Road having metal grills on the window. Shops, which weren't adorned with these security items tended to be Chippie's, or sell low value goods.

I'm sure you must have attended a robbery where a brick was thrown through a shop window to good effect by the local brigand. Or did that just exist on the Dixon of Dock Green TV show? Grills or roller shutters were and are a necessary evil, which protected and protects the shopkeeper.

I would contend that there was plenty of crime and ne'er do wells on the streets of Bootle, and to some degree, litter. I'm sure you would have seen some chip paper strewn on the pavement.

I remember as a kid, seeing the street lamps and the Ribble bus garage on Hawthorne Road, festooned with rolls of bus tickets and old newspaper on the ground outside the chippie by Circle cabs.

Yes, you probably could leave your back door open, because no one had a lot to steal in those days and there was probably always someone at home to deter burglars. However, I would love to see the statistics for gas meters, that were broken into.

With you being an ex Policeman; I find it hard to believe that you would support an imaginary premise of a Bootle, that did not utilise crime prevention and residents that were not litterbugs.

Before anyone thinks that I'm putting down Bootle; I'm not. I'm just pragmatic enough to realise that the Bootle Ernie reminisces over, probably never existed. Bootle has, and probably always will be a working class town, demographics and Government policies will always ensure this.

What made the difference in them days is that there were a lot more Bernie's on the streets of Bootle, cleaning up our mess. Government cutbacks now ensure that Bernie has to work three times as hard, just to maintain the bare minimum of service.

I agree with Ernie about the erosion of civic pride, but to contend that there were no shutters on shop windows or litter on the streets of Bootle, well i just remember it differently. In my opinion :D
Filsgreen, Very well put and very, very eloquent
Scotty
All gave some
Some gave all
filsgreen

Elaine, here is a web page of first google I found, about Liverpool crime in the first part of the twentieth century. It paints a nice picture about some of the residents of the town you grew up and felt safe in.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liv ... ce-3488018

Here is an excerpt

“In 1918, a posse of three teenagers from Bootle lassoed two women in Stanley Road and dragged them screaming halfway down Rufford Road.

“One of the captives collapsed when she was released, while her friend fainted when she got back home. In court, one of the cowboys explained they had meant no harm.

A quick calculation of Ernie's age indicates that he lived in Bootle through the Great Depression and WW2. Both of these events would shadow the facts that Bootle had its share of closed shops, through people having no money. The bombed out streets would certainly wipe away any memories of litter lying about.

Both of these proposals reinforces my assertion that Bootle had its share of ne'er do wells and litterbugs. But hey, don't let facts or my rational research get in the way of your memories, and I apologise for having the temerity to challenge Ernie's opinion.

Phil
bjones

Elaine Goulding wrote:. ........Just my opinion :wink:
Elaine, yes we all have our own opinions but surely sometimes they're best kept to ourselves. Many of the unpleasant exchanges on the Forum are the result of the way in which opinions are expressed. You found Phil's post condescending to Ernie. I on the other hand read a defence of Bernie's very valuable input to which Ernie had responded superciliously. Ernie's opinion, Phil's opinion, your opinion and mine - perhaps all best kept to ourselves?

I'll just say THANKS BERNIE J for keeping us up with what's going on in Bootle - your pics and comment is appreciated by many.
Bee

"Life" is a gift to you. The way you live your life is your gift to those who come after.
Invicta

I appreciate what Bernie posts as true life but must also commend Ernie's comments.
To be honest, for those of us who live away, it's a bit of a shock to see the decline in Bootle when we return. They were never posh streets but they were vibrant with all sorts of life activities, good and bad. Areas we drive through, visiting our past are now often deserted.

On this Forum we never read about the shootings, drugs, gang warfare that clearly happens in the area ( only last week there was a shooting in Musker Drive where I played as a kid )
The nasty Fernhill gang locked up recently, Fernhill and around were good streets, spoiled by vermin. Netherton is too often in the news for the wrong reasons.
( I have a Family member in the police working in the area )

Obviously there are good areas occupied by good people but I'm saddened by the demise in the town in general.

This is my observation as a proud Buck and infrequent visitor.
Ken
Invicta

Reading this again, I think Uncle Ernie was playing Devil's Advocate in the hope of breathing some life into the Forum , something that has been seriously lacking of late.
Great response from Phil, I look forward to more input from others, it's a subject worthy of debate. :D Ken
Bernie R

Whole-heartedly agree with Phil's comments re the ever increasing 'Americanisation' (note that's with an S not a Z!) of life in the UK.

That said, I take no umbrage to Bernie's use of 'underpass' even if, for me, it will always be known as 'the subby' :wink:

Bern
Born and raised in Romeo Street, later Lambeth Walk, Jersey Close, Garden Place, Hawthorne Rd, Gonville Rd now Netherton
Invicta

Americanisms

I remember Mr Clarkson in WB whacking a kid because he spelt disc as "disk" :shock: K
scotty

Ah, Mr. Clarkson, I remember him well.He used to lecture us on how the Americans had bastardised the English language.He was also brutal with the cane.
All gave some
Some gave all
Invicta

Right Scotty. He could be the quiet cello playing nice man then explode!
You remember you had to line up outside the class for changeover, his classes were always late. One day one of our lads bags was catching on the wall, hardly noticeable,but he came , out , furious, lined the whole class up and gave us one stroke each. For the lesson following he was ranting and throwing books :evil: Ken
BOBHAMO

All areas of just not the north west area
liverpool, bootle , crosby , formby , southport
have problems with gun crime ,drugs , cannabis fams,
and i am sure our distant members in england dont live in a crime free area
the police do a great job in closing down the gangs in liverpool but new ones start up
they are not scared of doing time
our scrambler problems are getting less they used spray on the bikers and have caught 2 more
bob hamo
bootle born altcar road
bernie johno

well i did not see that coming posting a couple of pics and using the word underpass would cause such a debate.
when posting pics and adding a small description you write what comes in your head at the moment.
as i am from marsh lane peel rd i have no childhood memories of the bedford rd area.
the post was intended to inform people of the ongoing filming of the Jimmy McGovern series as i had posted some pics a month or so ago by the bedford rd subway
I noticed to date there are 19 replies and not one is connected to the title of the thread
if someone wishes to breathe life into the site i am sure they could start a topic a bit more important than this thread :D :D :wink:
bjones

bernie johno » Fri Dec 16, 2016 2:18 pm
I noticed to date there are 19 replies and not one is connected to the title of the thread
if someone wishes to breathe life into the site i am sure they could start a topic a bit more important than this thread
bjones wrote: I'll just say THANKS BERNIE J for keeping us up with what's going on in Bootle - your pics and comment is appreciated by many.

Eye eye Bernie, I thought the important part of my post related to the title of your thread. Totally agree with you about starting a new topic to comment on the decline in the area; your pics demonstrated positive activiity on Stanley Rd and should be appreciated as such.
Bee

"Life" is a gift to you. The way you live your life is your gift to those who come after.
bernie johno

bjones wrote:
bernie johno » Fri Dec 16, 2016 2:18 pm
if someone wishes to breathe life into the site i am sure they could start a topic a bit more important than this thread
bjones wrote: I'll just say THANKS BERNIE J for keeping us up with what's going on in Bootle - your pics and comment is appreciated by many.

Eye eye Bernie, I thought the important part of my post related to the title of your thread. Totally agree with you about starting a new topic to comment on the decline in the area; your pics demonstrated positive activiity on Stanley Rd and should be appreciated as such.
sorry Bee lots of filming goes on in the liverpool region including recently the series Our girl which shot scenes in the bus depot of the strand also the cilla black series was part filmed in the klondyke if i have a chance i take pics something i have always done.
all the best for the new year watch out for my log store pic coming up shortly still using the saw despite my mishap earlier in the year :D :D :wink:
Invicta

BOBHAMO wrote:All areas of just not the north west area
liverpool, bootle , crosby , formby , southport
have problems with gun crime ,drugs , cannabis fams,
and i am sure our distant members in england dont live in a crime free area
the police do a great job in closing down the gangs in liverpool but new ones start up
they are not scared of doing time
our scrambler problems are getting less they used spray on the bikers and have caught 2 more
bob hamo
Headline news here last week, Bob,

Train strike.
Dog fouling in local park.
Too warm for Xmas ice rink.
We get a lot of London dealers coming down here but recently Kent & British Transport police have had a lot of success catching them. Less violent crime but a lot of con men stuff as there is an elderly population vulnerable to them.
As they say Dover for the Continent, Tunbridge Wells for the Incontinent. :wink: Ken
Ernie Jackson. (Bunty)

[quote }

Elaine, yes we all have our own opinions but surely sometimes they're best kept to ourselves. Many of the unpleasant exchanges on the Forum are the result of the way in which opinions are expressed. You found Phil's post condescending to Ernie. I on the other hand read a defence of Bernie's very valuable input to which Ernie had responded superciliously. Ernie's opinion, Phil's opinion, your opinion and mine - perhaps all best kept to ourselves?

I'll just say THANKS BERNIE J for keeping us up with what's going on in Bootle - your pics and comment is appreciated by many.[/quote]

.........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

I would disagree with BJ in that many of the unpleasant exchanges on the Forum are the result of the way in which opinions are expressed. I most cases, in my opinion. and experience of the Forum threads, it isn't how they are expressed but is the way the reader absorbs the message. The written word contains no expression, no sight of the author. Written words are the authors way of attempting to convey information and the reader can often misunderstand what the author intends to convey, particularly on sites such as ours.

Supercilious definition, haughtily disdainful or contemptuous, as a person or a facial expression.

This is only one of several similar definitions of this word and this is to apologise most profusely to anyone, particularly Bernie who initiated this thread, and most particularly BJ who used that word to describe what she saw as being my attitude. .

Words convey just what they say...not feelings not expressions nothing but words. People who have actually met a person might feet that is in that persons nature and, to those who have not met or conversed with me,.simply misunderstand my way of writing.

I had absolutely no intention, nor do I ever have, of conveying that awful attitude. I have read that particular post over several times and cannot see at all why it should be read as anything of a supercilious nature.

I am sure that Bernie would have quite rightly retaliated if my words appeared supercilious. Sorry Bernier. Sorry BJ.

I am at a loss as to what else I can say. Maybe I am getting a bit touchy in my old age or maybe I am the only one who noticed?

As for the diversion from the original post by Bernie....I believe my response is the reason why we moved away from his intention. I also, in retrospect, apologise for that. I never intended to cause that,
lynne99

Thanks for the photos , Bernie. I for one would not recognise the places in the films, if they had not been pointed out to me.. PS It is just the same in Rugby. Boarded up shops, roller blinds and crime. The advantage is we are a much smaller town.
filsgreen

Ernie; I will have to concede to your assertion that Bootle was indeed a tidier place when you were a kid, than when it was when I was a child in the 60's. Looking through the archive of pictures on this forum; I have not found one that shows litter on the road. As you have said Ernie, it must be an age thing.
Elaine Goulding

Bernie, keep your pictures coming. Like most ex-pats I rely of your photographs past and present to keep us in the loop so to speak. I apologise if my comments took away from your thread, this was most certainly not my intention.
Elaine
Elaine

Bianca Street, Bootle - moved to Canada 1982
Ernie Jackson. (Bunty)

Quite right Bernie. Keep them coming. What I should have written is that the photos are excellent....it was just the content that touched my memory of how my town was.

I have a small company in Denton and the litter in the street outside around there is atrocious. After taking part in this thread I took off my rose coloured glasses and looked more carefully to identify it. It was plastic bottles, soft drink cans, cig. packets, silver paper and typical foam food containers. Most of the bottles, cans and containers still have stuff in them.

We never had any of these modern things so there was no litter for us to chuck back then.. We never, ever, threw bottles away as they were worth "a penny on the bottle". (Remember that?)

I have security roller shutters, CCTV and razor wire around the top of our walled boundaries.

So you see, it's not just Bootle...its' world wide.

Our Local Council clean the road every SIX weeks so we have to clean it up ourselves almost daily. Other companies in the area don't bother.

It is norm. so it seems I just got used to it. I never knew Denton in the 'olden' days so don't know the difference.

:oops: :oops: :oops:

There is no litter in the area where I live because the residents themselves have some pride in keeping the area tidy. Same mentality as Bootle folk when we were a couple of kids.

I am not too proud to apologise. I am also humble enough to accept an apology with grace.
bernie johno

no need for apologies from anyone and i will certainly continue to post pics as i believe it is good social history, some times the pics may not come out very good but when i see the moment i just fire away.
the pics above is where i park most days at 10 am for break opposite Kings park.there was a bit of activity by these shops for several days i then found out why so i took these pics from my cab. Yes there is litter in Bootle and on one pic you can see a bin bag by the post but that is left by the road sweeper for me to collect which i do following break.
Hugh baird college is close by and there are a few fast food shops on stanley rd i watch the students many a time just disregard there rubbish on to the floor not all by the way but some i think this is more a national problem than a Bootle thing.The great thing that has come from this discussion is phils new Bootle thread which i will contribute to, as there are age differences of members on this site i was born 13 years after the end of the war so the town of Bootle was still pretty much in the recovery stage but being a young boy from hood st growing up in the 60s there was so many places to explore and me and my mates certainly did :D :D :wink:
Ernie Jackson. (Bunty)

Nice one Bernie. :wink:
filsgreen

Bernie, you and Alan have motivated me to pick up my camera again after twenty years :D I was a regular at Art in Action on Stanley Road in the early 1980's, where with guidance and tuition from Bill and Dave; I learned how to develop and print black and white pictures.

As you are probably aware, the group focused on social history and basic portraiture of local people. This led to me being a wedding photographer throughout the 80's and early 90's. I'll post a couple of pictures that I took on our pictures thread.

The photos you are taking now, will be the photos that Bootle residents will value in the 22 century. The importance of your work cannot be over estimated. I've always been interested in social history, so thanks for getting me back into it.
bernie johno

filsgreen wrote:Bernie, you and Alan have motivated me to pick up my camera again after twenty years :D I was a regular at Art in Action on Stanley Road in the early 1980's, where with guidance and tuition from Bill and Dave; I learned how to develop and print black and white pictures.

As you are probably aware, the group focused on social history and basic portraiture of local people. This led to me being a wedding photographer throughout the 80's and early 90's. I'll post a couple of pictures that I took on our pictures thread.

The photos you are taking now, will be the photos that Bootle residents will value in the 22 century. The importance of your work cannot be over estimated. I've always been interested in social history, so thanks for getting me back into it.
Thanks phil there are a few contributors to the site with pics that was why i started picture of the day which has developed to just post when you can and we have lots of posts from all over the world.On the bootle pics Alan is out an about on his bus and bike and me on my little truck we are like roving reporters for the bootle site.
Art in Action is a great place and there pictures in black and white that Bill posts on facebook are fantastic.
bill ,dave and hank johnson took some great pics and videos for me at marsh lane boxing club and the brunswick boys club great times :D :D :wink:
bernie johno

https://www.facebook.com/groups/130281883662401/
This is a link for art in action beware though you may lose a couple of days when you start looking :D :D :wink:
just click on the photo link and enjoy
BOBHAMO

Filsgreen wrote bernie
over the years are members like Peter Craig. King tonka, Daveo, and myself
have managed to take hundreds of local photos , sadley the latter members have left,
myself over the recent year i have not been posting many photos
as the responce has been not very good only a few replys
i still go down to bootle and take photos
which will be saved
the art in action photos are the real thing to true life
bob hamo
bootle born altcar road