Museum/heritage project update

Your place to talk about your Bootle memories
Prospice

Hi all. I had a successful meeting with Margaret Carney and Stephen Whittle on behalf of Emma Anderson. Last Friday morning myself and my sidekick Marknjen went along to the Atkinson to meet the Atkinson Team. 2 very large display cabinets have been made available and will by transported very soon to Bootle library, so that we may have a permanent display. The cabinets will display items relating to Bootle from the Atkinson collection and from Bootle Town Hall. I also have some items that I will be loaning to the project. If anybody has, and is willing to loan any personal effects relating to Bootle, please get in touch. The town hall is also going to become more accessible and an interactive war display is in the pipeline for installation very soon, and hopefully in time for heritage open days. This is a positive step forward and we need as much help as possible to get more going on at this end of the borough. I know that people have said they would volunteer in the past and it would be great if you were still able to come on board. It may just be manning the display for a short period and answering any questions about the items on display. I will know more about this in the future though and I will forward any names to the Atkinson so that you will be kept in the loop.

The Atkinson has a number of official photographic portraits of past Bootle Mayoresses and Mayor's consorts. Unfortunately there is no identifying records. If any members would like to see the pictures and try to identify who the images are of, please let me know. The pictures look 1930's onwards and there are a lot of them.

Thanks all

Prospice (Mike)
lily8

A very well done to you Mike and Marknjen you are doing a great job.
Lily
Joycen60

Well Done and Thank You. Shows what can be achieved. A pity I don't live close enough to offer to help.
Lived Olive grove- just in Bootle. Schools Netherton Moss A, Netherton Park and Bootle Girls Grammar
fatboyjoe90

Thanks for your time and effort on the Bootle Museum Mike, and Mark I know the both of you have worked hard for this outcome. :wink: :D

When I used to go to the museum, there was a hell of a lot more than just two very large display cabinets. :x
Cheers Joe.
Matt

From an ex grammar grub :lol: who used to spend a very large amount of
time in the museum and library I thank you for all the time and effort you have
both put into this(I think)labour of love.
Matt
bob. b

Remember spending some time in the museum and library.

So a big thank you to both of you well done.

Regards Bob. b
Prospice

Thanks everyone

The present situation is that we can't have a 'proper' museum in Bootle. The council are reviewing their building assets and it may transpire that the town hall complex will be taken over for office space.

Me and Mark think it's more important at this time to get items specifically relating to Bootle back on show, and to emphasise Bootle's history in relation to the war. This is something that can be easily achieved in the short term. There may also be the opportunity to borrow Bootle related items from Liverpool's museums.

Remember from small acorns grow mighty oaks (or something like that)

If anybody can help with looking at the photographic portraits of past mayors/mayoresses it would be much appreciated.
bernie johno

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UStgrEG ... e=youtu.be
taken from the dave rowlands thread it is a video outside the town hall and museum police courts and what i liked inside balliol baths
hope this is ok on here if not let me know thanks bernie :D :D :wink:
hood st ,norton st, spenser st ,
lynne99

A brilliant video. Do the baths still exist?
bernie johno

lynne99 wrote:A brilliant video. Do the baths still exist?
the building is still there but been closed along time now :D :D :wink:
hood st ,norton st, spenser st ,
ab

Great news. Well done both of you, I spent many an hour in the library as a young child, memory is fading now but I do recall the museum as a very interesting place it would be nice to see it becoming a Bootle focal point again.
Shelagh

Great news Mike and Mark, good to know that the the artifacts belonging to Bootle will be back in their rightful place again!
Bootle library...a good choice for the display, somewhere for all to view!
Well done to the both of you :)
steve55

Great news, and well done, Mike and Mark! One small step towards Bootle regaining it's identity!
marknjen

Thanks peeps as Mike has said one small step but bg things can grow from this! We also need volunteers to help try recognise the old mayors if possible? Or if anyone has links to websites that have pics of the old mayors would be great too! Great video too Bernie !

Cheers Mark :wink:
fatboyjoe90

I hope this photo of William Jones - Mayor of Bootle 1886, helps you :?:
Cheers Joe.
marknjen

Thanks Joe :wink: