Paul alexandra

Your place to talk about your Bootle memories
bernie johno

screen shot
Does anyone remember paul gooley stage name Alexandra he was probably the finest singer to come out of marsh lane please correct me if i am wrong
photo uploader :D :D :wink:
hood st ,norton st, spenser st ,
bernie johno

Top pic was taken on new years eve 1999 the little girl on the pic was 21 a couple of weeks ago how time goes :D :D :wink:
WatsonTommy

correct Bernie went to school with there john Paul was the best what a voice and yes time does fly his name was Paul gooley a true gentleman john was a rag tatter like his dad you could not tell him anything about antiques, john would bring into school 2nd world war German souvenirs and other antiques and the headmaster mr carny would confiscate them we ran around the school yard with German lugers playing cowboys and Indians i remember his dad had mr carny by the throat wanting his stuff back they lived in brook road by the aunt sally place were they made soap and detergents etc r.i.p Paul great loss paul sang that song fatboy posted i'm my own grandpa by ray stephens in the alex pub when the everglades played there
bernie johno

yes tommy some good afternoons in the alex he was roy orbison and freddy mercury rolled in to one :D :D :wink:
WatsonTommy

talking to paul on the sunday before he went in hospital said something about as leg operation but what happened to him
efc46

I remember Paul very well he was the singer in our band the Gravediggers his nickname was Lash I went home from australia in 1992 Terry Riley was our lead guitarist we all went to Sullivans on stanley road for a night out (for my home coming been away since1967) Terry son Peter was playing there he said there is a few old rockers from the sixties so we done a few numbers Johnnie B good twistand shout Me Terry peter Hanlon and of coarse Lash( what a voice) .Terry got some one to video the turn I went home again in 1998 and Terry and terry told me that lash had passed away lots of memories Know one could sing Swiss Maid like Lash Yodel part too Any way I have this DVD ( my daughter I could get a copy made) if I could send a copy to someone who new us all and put bits on the bootle times let me know I am hopeless/Davey
Davey Rowlands Bootle
bernie johno

i could put it on here for you if you wish to send me a copy inbox me davey
efc46

Hi Burnie I will get in touch with my daughter(Amelia) on the weekend I have misplaced the DVD but Amelia has all my computer on hard drive (what ever that means) she is a user and computer and under stands I have a copy somewhere it was 1992 when we did the trip it may take awhile I still have it sssomewhere and I will get it to you /davey
Davey Rowlands Bootle
WatsonTommy

seen his wife or girl would like one saw her in the strand not long ago like to get her a copy if possible bernie she still has pauls guitar and stuff
bernie johno

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aC7UWzsMfkg
this is a very short clip of paul probably to short to appreciate his voice but for those who heard him live will know :D :D :wink:
James Moorcroft

The name Gooley, only ever remember two. John, who would be about 74/75 now who lived with his Grandfather in Kirk St. I cant remember his parents. Perhaps someone else remembers them, lived in the odd numbers 30s. Larry Devine lived further up same side.
bernie johno

James Moorcroft wrote:The name Gooley, only ever remember two. John, who would be about 74/75 now who lived with his Grandfather in Kirk St. I cant remember his parents. Perhaps someone else remembers them, lived in the odd numbers 30s. Larry Devine lived further up same side.
john and paul were brothers as far as i no john past away along time ago always drank in the salisbury and gave a song also which was always an elvis number from memory :D :D :wink:
efc46

The Gooleys lived in Gray st area at one stage then moved up to Fernhill rd area John was always fighting with our Tommy same age (dont remember why) I remember Lash and Kevin Riley punching on outside the Solly it was snowing heavy and a motorbike come up Solly road and ran over Kevin leg Kevin was not hurt (just a tyre mark on his leg) we chased the motor bike gone all we did was laugh for weeks Kevin and Terry always on the look out for the motor bike./davey
Davey Rowlands Bootle
efc46

The Gooleys lived in Gray st area at one stage then moved up to Fernhill rd area John was always fighting with our Tommy same age (dont remember why) I remember Lash and Kevin Riley punching on outside the Solly it was snowing heavy and a motorbike come up Solly road and ran over Kevin leg Kevin was not hurt (just a tyre mark on his leg) we chased the motor bike gone all we did was laugh for weeks Kevin and Terry always on the look out for the motor bike./davey
Davey Rowlands Bootle
efc46

Hi Bernie I have found the VCR( with lash on) I will take to it someone with a vcr to dvd machine and will get our Amelia to decifer it and send you a copy (at least I found it at last) /Davey
Davey Rowlands Bootle
bernie johno

efc46 wrote:Hi Bernie I have found the VCR( with lash on) I will take to it someone with a vcr to dvd machine and will get our Amelia to decifer it and send you a copy (at least I found it at last) /Davey
nice one Davey look forward to seeing it mate :D :D :wink:
bernie johno

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRMvOsS1brg
video of paul, he is on the last 10 mins got a bit more to put on also on this at the start is davey royal liverpool comedian who made benidorm his home sadly also no longer with us :D :D :wink:
bernie johno

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jy7orj8XA_k :D :D :wink:
the end of paul singing plus more from the phythian pub in kensington
Last edited by bernie johno on Fri Apr 22, 2016 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bernie johno

The above clips are courtesy of a dvd given to me by terry riley a former friend and band member of pauls i am glad i could put this bit of social history on youtube for bootle people to hear his voice :D :D :wink:
efc46

enjoyed seeing paul what a voice terry made the video the video of us all in1992 I am trying to get converted to dvd/davey
Davey Rowlands Bootle
bernie johno

yes great video Davey give us a shout if you get yours on dvd and i will put it on here :D :D :wink:
efc46

Hi Bernie I have the cd i need your address so I can post it over to you if you send me your home phone number I will give you a buzz to explain the cd one of my mates converted it its to longgg to put on computer/Davey
Davey Rowlands Bootle
bernie johno

sent you a private message davey :D :D :wink:
bernie johno

received a phone call today from davey rowlands all the way from oz had a great chat thanks davey enjoyed all your reminiscing from your bootle days
look forward to the dvd mate
take care, bernie johno :D :D :wink:
efc46

HI Bernie I have sent 2 cd. copies to your house please get one to terry the post office said it takes 8 days let me know when they arrive via B.T. /Davey
Davey Rowlands Bootle
fatboyjoe90

Davey and Bernie nice to hear both of you have made contact with each other. :wink: :D
Cheers Joe.
Woozer71

Hi Guys
Im john Gooleys Youngest Daughter. My dad passed away on the 1st feb 1994 and my Uncle Paul some years later after having his leg amputated, i was with both when they passed. I dont know much about my dad or his familys younger days and id love more info. He was a great Dad, in and out of prison in our younger days but one of the best dads, he didn't have it easy with my Mum :) theresa nee kelly from southey street, please if you can fill me in on my dads childhood id be thrilled. I know he lived with his gran for a time he said, and I remember him going on the hand cart and giving us a ride on it. Bringing me dolls and clothes home id be so happy with folks cast offs. Please message me if you can fill in some gaps id love to hear from you thanks Wendy Gooley x
lily8

Hi Wendy and welcome to the forum :D I am sure you will get replies from our members.
Lily
efc46

Hi Wendy I knew your dad when the Gooleys lived in Gray street area he was always fighting my brother Tommy Rowlands Tommy is 3years older than me tommy is 75 there was another mate of our Tommy Raker who hung around with them As for Paul He was the singer in our group The grave diggers Terry Riley lead Jimmy Gill Bass Peter Hanlon Drums Me Rhythm and Paul (lash) was our singer ( wot a Voice) I live in Brisbane Australia on one of my trips home terry took a video 1992 I sent 2 copies to Bernie Johnston He was to give one to terry one to lashes Widow and he put one on the Bootle Times which you can view Please get in touch with Bernie he is good on the computer and I am sure he can help I think Rakers name was Ray stevens (not sure) your dad was a hard man always fighting in the gainey as it was in them days p.s. sorry to about your dad /Davey
Davey Rowlands Bootle
Woozer71

:) aww thank you so much for your replys, you have made my day, i shall share this with my sister Joan. my eldest also John is very similar to my Dad, he has his mannerisms. And i must of inherited his temper haha. He told me his gran was a tough nut used to put everyone in their place.
Uncle Paul my favourite tune of his was dont go please stay drifters. Id love to see some of the tracks il have to do a search see if its anywere on the internet. Hope to hear more soon this means so much to me thank you xx
Woozer71

My Dad John Francis Gooley 1941-1994
bernie johno

thanks for sharing the picture I remember your dad from the solly pub on marsh lane he also could sing he loved doing elvis :D :D :wink:
bernie johno

a bit bigger :D :D :wink: