Bootle Schools & Derby Road

Your place to talk about your Bootle memories
n3ttl3

Hello there

I haven't been on the site for some time, so I hope no-one minds me asking a couple of questions.

1. If you lived in Brookhill Road in the 1920-30's, which RC schools would you attend? (my dad lived there), and

2. Does anyone know where abouts on Derby Road O'Hara's Boot & Shoe repair shop was? (my granddad's shop, apparently there was one on Well Lane also).

Many thanks

All the best
Annette
Always a Carey, Never a Traitor!
lynne99

Hi and welcome to this lovely forum. Not sure if I am the person to help. Someone will know and will post soon. They are a brilliant lot on this forum. :D
Invicta

Hi Annette,
My parents b1912/1915 were from Brookhill down near Kent Street . What number was your Dad? :D Ken
n3ttl3

Hi Ken,
Dad was brought up in 106 Brookhill Rd with his grandparents, his mum & dad lived in 108! I've since found out that his uncle went to Hawthorne Road Council School, so my dad may have gone there too! Dad was born in 1918, lived there until he was called up in 1939!

Thanks for the welcome back Lynne!

All the best, Annette
Invicta

Neighbours then Annette! All ours, Edwards, Campbell's & McCrackens were 83 - 87.
Hawthorn Road was also the school of Dad at least. Cheers Ken
n3ttl3

Blimey Ken, living opposite each other, they must've got into scrapes and gone to school together! small world or what! When my dad died, his cousin, (who was the living image of my Dad), Peter Hewson had us all in fits telling us about the mischief they got up to!

Hang on, Edwards - anyone in your family nicknamed 'Bant'? Don't know his real name unfortunately, but there was a Bant Edwards who was mates with my Dad and Uncle Chris, got a photo of him somewhere!! :D

All the best, Annette
Invicta

Not aware of Bant but Edwards was a big clan around there Annette.
My Dad was Jimmy and he had a brother Harry . Dad joined up quite early as he was in Palestine pre war and later he was a Sergeant Major busted to Sergeant in the Desert War ( tanks) and through Italy etc. :wink: Ken
n3ttl3

Hi Ken, found the photo of Bant Edwards, it's the chap on the left (Uncle Chris on the right in uniform), does he look familiar?

hope it works, it's ages since I've used Photobucket!

All the best
Annette
BOBHAMO

Great photo Annette :D :D :D
bobhamo
Last edited by BOBHAMO on Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bootle born altcar road
Invicta

Nice pic Annette but don't see any family resemblance but I'll ask my Sis, she has the old photos. :D Ken