Bootle Maternity Annexe

Your place to talk about your Bootle memories
Stanislaus

I live in Ireland but went to Liverpool to have my second Child, Michael in April, 1973. I lived with my Parents and Grandmother at Crosby, but the family Doctor, Dermot J. Madden arranged for me to go to Bootle Maternity Annexe to have the Baby. It was a lovely little hospital, the Nurses and Staff were lovely - I remember a Sister Mather who delivered my Baby, assisted by a Mrs MacManus. I would love a photograph of the hospital, and to hear anyone else's memories of this gorgeus Hospital. Thank You.
Shelagh

Hello Stanislous, no photos sorry; just lovely memories of a week spent there June 1972;
My stay was also for my second child,, don't think it was encouraged to have the first there in those day's.
The mums in the three main wards, all quickly became friends, they were some of the funniest and craziest, I have ever come across! all we seemed to do was laugh,, the staff
Were great,, so professional and attentive,, it was more like a hotel than a maternity home.
The weather was scorching that summer, so all the mums sat out in the garden every day, the nurses were so kind, even serving us drinks out there, then left us in private to chat away.
When I returned home after one weeks stay, people who stopped me to look at baby, all asked if I had been on holiday, reason being! because I looked so well..
Imagine that happening now!!
Lovely memories, think the building closed around 1975, such a shame! most of the Bootle mums had to go to Fazakerley after that...hope you manage to get a photo or two,and perhaps a few more shared memories. best wishes, Shelagh!!
Stanislaus

Thank you Shelagh for your lovely memories. My name is Sheila too, but different spelling. "Stanislaus" is just a user name as its my Partner's second name, he doesn't like it, and its quite rare. I came from Crosby originally, so it wasn't too far to go to Bootle - there was talk of them sending me to Fazackerly hospital, as there were a few complications, but thankfully they sorted themselves out. I hope someone has a photo, it would mean a lot. Take care xx
dorothy834

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... Bootle.JPG

Hello the two Shelaghs..not sure if this is what your looking for but if not
there will be some one who will find the right place I think this has been looked for a while ago

Dorothy
dorothy834
fatboyjoe90

Dorothy, The annexe was on the corner of Pembroke Road and Balliol Road, if my memory is it right it was built were the prefabs used to be, and it was a temporary wooden building. :wink: :)
Last edited by fatboyjoe90 on Sat Oct 31, 2015 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers Joe.
Jan

Hi folks,

Not sure if this is the place you are looking for, but if you go to the bottom of the thread http://www.bootlehistory.co.uk/forum/vi ... ity#p19583

I put this photo on some time ago, but there have been a few discussions as to where the maternity hospital was, the one in the photo is 51 Balliol Road.

Jan
Old genealogists never die......they just lose their census.
Stanislaus

My memory is awful - I cannot recall what it looked like, but have a feeling it was more of a modern building, possibly wooden, or wood and concrete. I could be wrong, of course.
Shelagh

Hello again all! Yes the maternity unit Sheila and myself stayed at, was a modern one story brick building, with very wide windows running the full width of the building, making it very bright indeed, the building was situated on the left hand side of "Trinity Road" as you walked up from "Stanley Road" and not too far from "Hawthorne Road" couldn't understand why they knocked it down, as it had every modern facility needed, and was such a pleasant place to be ( everything modern and new)
Jan, you were spot on with you're findings, regarding original "Bootle Maternity Home" can remember attempting to visit the place with my friend, her mother was in there, we weren't allowed in of course, (too young) also had the privilege of being born their myself.
The Building looked like a very large, double fronted Victorian detached house, and was on the same spot as the "Balliol Road" side of "Hugh Baird Collage"
(Sheila, imagine you're mind was too busy focusing on other things, rather than construction of building) best wishes to you and family, and beautiful Emerald Isle!! xx
Jan

:D

I was sent this link via e-mail.

Still trying to locate a photo.

http://hansard.millbanksystems.com/writ ... exe-bootle

Jan
Old genealogists never die......they just lose their census.
dorothy834

http://www.bootlehistory.co.uk/forum/vi ... ity#p19583

Hi everyone...I know its not a wooden building..but this one could of been bombed and the wooden
Stucture was a replacement. ..keep looking folks it must be somewhere. .
Thanks Joe and Jan ....
Dorothy
dorothy834
dorothy834

Oops Jan..its the same one you posted
Sorry about that....it did'nt work anyway :oops:

Dorothy
dorothy834
Shelagh

Yes Jan, as the link stated, annexe at junction of "University Road" and "Trinity Road" but definitely on left hand side on approach from "Stanley Road"
The building had some sort of cladding under each window and was fenced off with wire mesh, there was also plenty of space at the front for any ambulances arriving.
The garden at the back was massive and it was kept immaculate; wish now, I had brought the old box brownie,, never mind, hopefully something will turn up!
Many thanks to Jan Dorothy and Joe!!!
fatboyjoe90

I stand corrected with the info posted by Shelagh, and Jan the building still sticks in my mind for some reason. I can’t find a photo of it though.
According to what Shelagh is saying that it was on junction of "University Road" and "Trinity Road"
That gives you the reason why it was demolished, it was too make way for that monstrosity of a building IRO site that took 20 years to build and was described as the most depressing building in the UK.

Cheers Joe.
Shelagh

That'll be it Joe,, another concrete mess!! that explains why they had it taken down, such a shame!!
Thanks for rooting out of photo.... Take Care Shelagh!
Bill fawcett

Hi, my daughter was born in 1964 in Balliol Rd maternity hospital as shown in Jan's previous posting

Hi folks,

Not sure if this is the place you are looking for, but if you go to the bottom of the thread viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1936&p=19583&hilit=maternity#p19583

I put this photo on some time ago, but there have been a few discussions as to where the maternity hospital was, the one in the photo is 51 Balliol Road.

Jan

My youngest son was born in Trinity Road Annex in 1972

Bill
BOBHAMO

bobhamo
bootle born altcar road
Shelagh

Hello Bill, glad you have memories of "Bootle Maternity" I would imagine you remember the building and it's location (thank goodness I'm not alone) and didn't they turn out some beautiful babies that year 1972!!
Shelagh

Interesting bit of history there Bob,, correct addresses of Maternity Home and Annexe..
Was also interested to see the address of a Dr. Wethered, wondered if that was the same Dr. Wethered who later had a surgery on Marsh Lane?? (This was my Doctor, and a very good one at that))
henry

Ask Matt as Dr,Wethered was his uncle
HENRY BORN FLORIDA STREET OFF STRAND ROAD
BOBHAMO

Shelagh it is interesting when you see names in the directory :D :D :D
the house on the right was the doctors knocked down for balliol house
bobhamo
bootle born altcar road
Bill fawcett

Hi Shelagh,
My memory is that bad these days,that the only thing I remember about the building in Balliol Rd. was going up some stairs and a room on the R/H side had all the babies in it. My wife Margaret agrees with you that the staff were absolutely lovely.
It's funny you saying that all the mums became friends,as my wife and the girl in the next bed became friends in 1964, and they still are to the present day. As a matter of fact they were meeting up today for lunch.
The only sad thing about those memories, is that our daughter who was born then,sadly died of a brain tumour four years ago.

Bill
Shelagh

Will do Henry,, thanks for the tip,, have some good old memories of that surgery!!
Shelagh

Wonderful photo Bob,, thought I was seeing things though when I looked at sign on tram,, (thought I could see advertisement for Coca Cola) definitely need new glasses!!
john j connell

The sign on the tram reads Crawfords Kiel Fingers, there is a image of the box on the National Archives library images. JJC.
Shelagh

Bill, that is such a lovely story, about you're wife Margaret and her friend keeping in touch after fifty one years,, and especially under such circumstances, I'm sure that the very fact you have all managed to maintain contact after all this time can only be for the good regarding the precious memory of you're beloved daughter.
Thank you Bill for sharing you're story,, GOD Bless!!
Shelagh

Know all there is to know about Crawfords Kiel Fingers now, including ingredients and box they came in,, also know they do another version in Australia called Scotch Fingers!!
Thanks for directing me to site.
(John hope you don't mind me asking, but are you related to the "Ward Family" lived at 54 Scott Street) if so, I knew all you're family and can remember you as baby;
How's that for family history!!
Shelagh

Bob, also noticed Masonic Hall being listed, that was a lovely building, think I can remember seeing members of the orange lodge going in there from time to time, or have I got that wrong?
Remember also, another hall around that area being used by the knights of St. Columbus, not sure if it was Merton or Balliol Road though,, all wonderful buildings, Bootle must have been a town of magnificence in those bygone day's,, (must do some more research)!!
Matt

Hi Shelagh,yes I was my uncle John Wethered that had 2 surgeries one in Chestnut Grove
and the other one on Stanley Road.He was the junior partner of Dr Jones.He was my fathers
older brother.
Matt
Shelagh

Hello Matt, hope you are well,, yes you're uncle, "John Wethered" was a really good Doctor,, my mother thought he was wonderful, could cure anything! I never realised he had another surgery,, only knew of the one on Marsh Lane by Chestnut Grove. I think some patients thought he was a bit abrupt,, but I have to say, I never found that to be the case, he was great with my family,, I remember one time, he drove all the way to Aintree where we were living at the time, in order to check on my little one who had measles.. nothing was too much trouble, he loved children, and was always good with them..
Pity we don't have such doctors today, some of them are hopeless,, (having to look up every condition in a book) and that's during consultation! wouldn't have happened in "Wethered's" day. Thanks for extra info Matt,, much appreciated. Shelagh!!
Matt

Yes Shelagh he did like kids called every little boy John Willie and every little girl Jane
Guess what my 2 cousin's names are :lol: :lol: John William and Jane is his eldest daughter and
Helen his youngest.I have to agree he could be VERY abrupt but an absolute brilliant doctor but smoke
Never saw him without a ciggie tween his lips even at home.
Matt
billygooner

hi gang, good news is my daughter was born there on the 28th November 1968, bad news is an unmarked police car ran into the front of my car as I nosed out of the car park the following day,the two police officers surgested it was my fault, insurance companies said it was knock for knock can,t win can we. regards billy. :roll: :roll: :roll:
Cags293

I was born at Bootle Maternity hospital at Balliol Rd in 1964. My sister and Brother in the annexe in Trinity Road (1972 & 1974)

That ugly building by the Merton was St Johns House. Famed for the 'sick building syndrome'. Worked there In 1982 processing the '81 census. Got quite tipsy on my lunch break in the Merton on my 18th Birthday, workmates plied me with vodka and orange and back at work covered my back. You wouldn't get that now, the 'Safety 'Elf' would have me sacked on the spot! Ha
Bootle/Netherton/Bootle/Netherton (and a few places inbetween!)
Christ Church/St Oswalds/Countess of Derby/Hugh Baird
Civil Service/NHS
fatboyjoe90

And this was the end of it. :wink:
Cheers Joe.
Ang

We went to Dr Hall in Balliol Road near the Baths,
My Auntie was his first house call before she was married in 1953 while she still lived at home, she died in her 80s, we stayed with Dr Hall till he retired, he married a German woman who was lovely, not sure if the house is still there it had beautiful antique furniture in the waiting room and the chairs creaked every time you moved. My younger brother was born in Balliol Road nursing home in 65.