Bankhall Street again

Your place to talk about your Bootle memories
Bernie R

Hope someone with the street directories can help.

There's a thread on Facebook with a photo (from those collections of Britain From the Air), not sure when taken but it's of Bankhall Street and the area to the north of it. Coming up away from the river there will be the Bankhall Hotel (Hangsman pub as it's better known) then Brasenose Road. What I need is detail of the next couple of properties up Bankhall Street (across Brasenose) - they look like shops but even zooming in doesn't help.

Here's the photo - bottom left corner is the bit in question.

Can anyone help please?

Bern
Born and raised in Romeo Street, later Lambeth Walk, Jersey Close, Garden Place, Hawthorne Rd, Gonville Rd now Netherton
john j connell

Bernie, they where the offices of several local coal merchants, they still operated well into the late 60s, coal was brought in by rail, the siding were accessed from Redfern St, opposite Brasenose Rd,ps notice what was an additional entrance/exit to Bankhall station at the bottom of Portia Street which was to the rear of the Commodore picture houseJJC.
BOBHAMO

As John has posted it was the national coal board order office
sandham and co coal and coke merchants
w knowles and sons coal merchants
hope it helps bernie
bobhamo
bootle born altcar road
Bernie R

John/Bon

Just to clarify, I'm not talking about the ones on the siding side of the street (bottom as we look), I meant the other side next to the tall thin building.

Bern
Born and raised in Romeo Street, later Lambeth Walk, Jersey Close, Garden Place, Hawthorne Rd, Gonville Rd now Netherton
BOBHAMO

THink i have got it now Bernie
the hangsman is on the other side
so the shops on the corner of brasenose road
and bankhall street
james storey news agent
johnsons cocoa rooms
then the wire works and bankhall station
bobhamo
bootle born altcar road
john j connell

Well done Bob, above the door of the cocoa rooms is a board and you can just make out the image of what appears to be an ocean going liner and the lettering above it says (to me anyway) passage to?, i have seen similar advertisements on some old pictures of stations on the overhead railway. JJC.
Bernie R

Thanks Bob - just what I was after. :D
Mary F

WOW! Bernie I can see my old house. Love the shops on Stanley Road. Great picture.
Bernie R

I have collected several pics of this area over the years.

Where did you live Mary? I may have a photo.

Bern