The Bootle Times

Your place to talk about your Bootle memories
maureen howell

Hi Folks
The Bootle Times has made many changes since the 60's.One change for the worse is the wedding and christening pictures that were published in the 60's suddenly stopped.Bootle was a smaller place then but the community loved to see who was getting married and whose baby was getting christened and where.Did you have your picture in the Bootle Times?What was it for?I had my picture in the Bootle Times on a freezing night protesting about a council house rent increase .My daughter had her picture in the Bootle Times as she was in the winning netball team at St Catherine's School
Take Care
Maureen
maureen howell
Gortaphuill

I had my wedding reported in the paper and still have the cutting. Also my children, were photographed several times at various parties as part of the Children's Corner - my Mum used to collect the ship halfpennies.
Thackeray Gardens, Merton Grove, Walton and Birkdale, now Co Mayo
Elaine Goulding

Funny story to tell regarding my wedding photograph in the Bootle Times. Mum sent my photograph in to be published etc. A week or so later people kept stopping me asking what PARIS was like! I knew Mum had kept the Times edition with my picture in to give me when we got back from our honeymoon in "Moreton", however the Bootle Times wrote above my picture "Honeymoon in Paris"!! Mum explained Paris sounded more exciting than Moreton!!!
Elaine

Bianca Street, Bootle - moved to Canada 1982
bjones

Love that Elaine! Your mum must have been a real character :lol:
My wedding was in; Dodds always submitted their pics. I loved to see who had got married.
Does anyone remember the feature in the 1960s called something like "down your street"? Each week a different street would be visited and residents would be interviewed and photographed. My mum, sister and niece were in it the week our street was featured. :D
Bee

"Life" is a gift to you. The way you live your life is your gift to those who come after.
Glenys

In the 1970's our local paper did something similar...........a pic of myself and baby daughter was published............I won't put that pic on here!!!!! :roll:
Lived Linacre Lane, Trinity Road & Knowsley Road.
Bigtezza

In the mid 70s my Auntie Mo sent a photo of myself and her son Tony Fullalove with a couple of football trophies we won that year with the mighty Acacia Ridge Football Club. It was on the back page. Unfortunately she wrote a few lines to go with it that finished up with "Australia is such a lonely place" - she actually wrote "Australia is such a lovely place".
Brunnyboy

a photo from the bootle times Image
Conlo

I remember being in the Bootle Times when our school (Our Ladys) had a trip to a library (I am assuming it must have been a Bootle Library). I also had my photo in the Catholic Pictorial when a group of us passed our cycling proficiency test - I must have been 10 or 11 and I passed on my ultra violet chopper - god how I loved that bike.

Conlo.
Ex bootle boy from Hereford Drive - attended OLW & Tommies
jmoorcroft

Our wedding was in it. As I recall I am sure it had the groom, myself, best man, myself. Jimmy Murphy was not to pleased. Jim
jmoorcroft
Patricia

On my first visit back home a girlfriend arranged for several of my friends and school friends for a get together
I was really touched. Believe my Mum had spread the word all over the locality!!! :D This photo did appear
in the Bootle Times -Happy Memories!!

My wedding photo must have also appeared as it was taken by Dodds! Never got to see it!!
Brenda M

Hi Patricia - I remember almost all of those faces but the names escape me !! Post the names if you can remember. Great picture. I also have a picture of one of my first visits along with my then three year old
Steve and my mother.. "Auntie Margaret" was so kind and enrolled Steve in the Children's Corner. Hope I can find that picture...................
Patricia

Hi Brenda - It really is disgusting when you can't remember some of the names - here are the names I do remember:

Front row: Left to Right as you are looking at the photo:

Believe it is Clare Folder, Shirley Sherrington (Smith), Moi !, Nancy ??? & Nita Bonici (sp) Always thought that an unusual name!

Second Row: Lilian Sherrington (Shirley's twin) Brenda Birch (who lives at the top of Melville) ?????, Meg Ferguson,
Dorothy Hastings in flowered blouse & Margaret Porter.

Back Row: ?????, then Sylvia Phillips, (she became a nurse. Her bro whom they nicknamed "Blondie" was a good friend
of Norman's & he became a Surgeon.) Always remember him telling us never to use frying fat more
then twice due to the carcinogens, as it could cause cancer! Often wondered if the Chip Shops went by that
rule? :roll: ?????? then Lily Evans (one name came back to me) :D

If any of the names I can't remember come back to me, I will post same.

So great to hear from you - it is snowing here right now, always seems to snow in February. :D
Last edited by Patricia on Sun Feb 15, 2015 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dorothy834

Patricia..is that the same ..Dorothy Hastings
that lived in Ash Street??????
dorothy834
Patricia

Dorothy - So sorry, wish I could help but I have no idea where Dorothy lived - just know she, Meg, Margaret and Alice stuck together
like glue - they were extremely good friends. Brenda Birch's Mum owned a China Shop just down from Scotts on Hawthorne
Road. In fact, I still have a pair of China Ornaments that I bought from her on one of my trips home.

Funnily enough, when Brenda Birch & also Lilian Sherrington married, they both came to live in Melville Road and Shirley, Lilian's
twin, bought a house in Norman Road, the next road over. Just wish I could remember the other girls names. :roll:
Brenda M

Thanks Patricia - I remember the Sherrington twins quite well. Their cousin Margaret Sherrington was in my class at Linacre School back in the 40s. I also remember Brenda Birch.
You mentioned your wedding picture taken by Dodds. Joan Dodd (nee Flannagan) is one of my dearest friends and we are still in touch after all these years. She and her husband Eric
are now retired and live in Blundellsands. Sounds like you are having bitterly cold weather there on the east coast. It's in the 50s here today and the ski resorts are going broke waiting for snow!!!
Stay warm and keep in touch.
Brenda
Elaine Goulding

Patricia, as soon as I looked at the photograph I picked you out right away! Your face is still the same and still very pretty.
Elaine
Elaine

Patricia

:oops: :oops: :oops: Elaine - What did you have breakfast - you're certainly in a great mood :D :D - that was so sweet of you. It really was a lovely
"Get Together" left so many good memories particularly as I have since found out that a couple of my friends have passed.
Makes one treasure each day!!

Hope you're enjoying some lovely weather although that darn cold spell is covering most of the East Coast!

If you happen to be near - please dont hesitate to call - otherwise perhaps we can get together next year in NC. :D
Elaine Goulding

Cannot believe the weather we are experiencing. Last night we put the heat on as it was so cold!!. Got up this morning still a little chilly, however by the afternoon we were able to go down to the beach and enjoy the sunshine. Mind you I am not complaining, my daughter emailed from home and said it was -40° with the wind chill. Hopefully she can get away and join us in March.. Take care Patricia...........
Elaine

jddry

Image this photo was in the bootle times when we were married in july 1973. quality not to bad after all this time.
jetjockey

:?
jddry wrote:Image this photo was in the bootle times when we were married in july 1973. quality not to bad after all this time.
I can remember your wife's parents jddry from my days at 57 Hood Street but did you wife have an older sister

JJ
Tempus Pretiosum Utiler Consumtum
BOBHAMO

bobhamo
Last edited by BOBHAMO on Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
bootle born altcar road
jddry

yes jj your right my wifes got a sister Margaret has lived in Runcorn for the past 30 years.
jetjockey

jddry wrote:yes jj your right my wifes got a sister Margaret has lived in Runcorn for the past 30 years.
Thanks for that jddry I remember Margaret well btw have you looked up Hood Street on the forum I'm sure there is
a photo of your wife's mother on that thread

JJ
Tempus Pretiosum Utiler Consumtum
rosieinoz

Hi my name is Rose , Patricia sent a pic of her reunion . I actually have that Bootle times from 22nd Aug 1969 . And I can remember a few girls Patricia couldn't , next to her is Betty Moffat next row Elsie Farrer Back row Doreen Brown in the pic of classroom I can remember Barbara Wade Isabel Jones Jessie McKenzie Marjorie Mansfield . My name was Rose Ussher . We are scattered all over the world . Lovely Memories best wishes to you all . Hope it helps you Patricia its a long while ago .y
Lived in Bootle from 1935 to 1966. Now living in Australia.
Patricia

Rose - Really appreciate your help with the names. Let me know if the following is correct:

As you are looking at the photo:

1st row: Clare Folder; Shirley Sherrington ;Moi; Betty Moffet; Nita Bonnici.

2nd row: Lillian Sherrington; Brenda Birch; Elsie Farrer; Meg Ferguson; Dorothy Hastings (in flowered blouse) & Margaret Porter.

3rd row: Marjorie Mansfield; Sylvia Phillips; Doreen Brown; Lily Evans.

Brenda - This may also jog your memory, as mine certainly needed jogging!! :D
Going to make sure I list them on the back of the photo!
Glenys

Were the Sherrington girls related to the late Ron Sherrington who was a member on here??
Lived Linacre Lane, Trinity Road & Knowsley Road.
Patricia

Hi Glenys - Wish I could answer your question but I really don't know if they had a brother or
other siblings, only knew the twins through our school days. By the time they had moved to
Melville & Norman Road after their marriages, I was already in the States. I was told the last
time I was over that sadly, Shirley was deceased, but no further information regarding her.
Brenda M

Hi Patricia - Looking at your picture again, I do remember Nita Bonnici, Elsie Farrer and Marjorie Mansfield. Wonder where they are now and how life has treated them!!
Sorry to hear Shirley Sherrington had passed away. I do remember a few names from our old neighborhood - Thelma and Clifford Holmes, Stanley Chase ( who lives in Canada) Marjorie Ryder,
Norma Hewson, Billy Crowley, George Fitzgerald, Eileen Rigby Rene Oldfield and Marcell Eubank...................I'be been searching for an old picture with more names, if I ever find it I'll let you know.

Always enjoy your posts.
Brenda M,
Patricia

Brenda - It really is lovely to see you posting. Those names brought back a lot of memories. I always thought Stanley Chase was
rather a handsome chap (older than me so I was completely ignored!! :( ) Also remember Stanley Dempsey, Frank Goodier, who
was still living in his parents house after they passed( last time I was home.) Sheila & Eileen Rooney (Heard Sheila worked for
British Air Lines in the States) George Mercer, who also continued to live in his parents house; Maureen Patterson,.Jean &
Pat Usher (who lived next door on Melville Road) Maureen Cooper (lived next door the other side) Marlene McLoughan
(across the street ) Pauline Baden. and Mary Jack.

Eileen, Jean, Pat, Marlene, Maureen, Pauline, Mary & myself were all about the same age and had such fun, especially during
the summer hols. Pat & Jean Usher's Dad was a carpenter and he had turned his Anderson Shelter into a Club Room for us. We
called it the "Star Spangled Club" and we even had our own Anthem. We used to play for hours with Paper Dolls on the long
counter he had placed in there and even put on a show in their garden for the older boys and girls,( having bribed them to
come with "Refreshments!") We had a blanket draped over the clothes line for the "Curtain!" Remember one of the boys falling
off the top of the shelter he was laughing so hard at us trying to "Act!" In the end, they all started 'booing' and we got mad and
packed it in!! :D :D

I often wonder as to the whereabouts of several of them. Hope you are able to come across that photo.

Take care................Patricia. xx