Keeping Warm When we were Kids..

Your place to talk about your Bootle memories
bambi

Winters were so very cold when we were kids..No electric Blankets,No Central Heating,How did you keep warm,seem to remember overcoats on the beds,Hot Water Bottles Being empty lemonade bottles with hot water in..Remember vaguely Grandma talking about a Brick in beds when it was cold..How Did We Cope..Another Memory is Ice on the Windows How Cold Must Have that Have Been,Ice inside the house,Could not cope now..Tell us youre freezing cold tales..Regards Bambi........
keep youre hat on,slap on the sun cream...you know it makes sense......
kenswayken

I tell the Grandkids we walked to school with no shoes in a metre of snow :lol:

The Army Greatcoat on the bed I shared with my Brother.
" Under an old overcoat six of us slept". As the song says.

:) Ken
BOBHAMO

God it was cold in my early years :D :D :D
like a lot of us oldies , there was a bit of bed sharing to keep warm :D :D
the ice on the inside of the bedrooms was always there :D :D :D
the army coat was a well used extra warmer
the lemonade bottle with hot water was used in our bed
think it made us stronger we where tough kids then
had to get on with it
bobhamo
bootle born altcar road
Joycen60

In my first house I had a downstairs Bathroom that had been built on as an extension (mid 70's). In the Winter there used to be icicles coming from the Taps! When the weather was like this I used to go to the local leisure centre for a shower instead as it was just too cold.

Remember putting coats on the bed, and those awful blankets that made you itch! Having to wear a pair of socks in bed to keep your feet warm- had to do this the other year when I went to New Zealand as there was no central heating or double glazing in the house where I was staying.The house was like a fridge at night!
efc46

I remember when I worked all over Liverpool on the demolition and we were all freezing every winter and we would put newspaper next to our shirts put our donkey jackets on tie a bit of thin rope around the waist (kept the heat in).I loved
Liverpool(town) but hated the winters so I went a warmer Place Australia in 1967
Davey Rowlands Bootle
Bernie R

Coats on the bed reminds me of this classic from Billy Connolly...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQT0CuR5Mhk
Born and raised in Romeo Street, later Lambeth Walk, Jersey Close, Garden Place, Hawthorne Rd, Gonville Rd now Netherton
kenswayken

Classic Bern, Billy at his best :D K
Elaine Goulding

My sister and I slept in separate bedrooms during the summer, however once winter arrived my sisters room was too damp to sleep in so Mum used to make us sleep together in my room (which was not much warmer). We always had a huge eiderdown and hot water bottle. Dad would light the fire to take the chill off the room before we went to bed. Yes, it was cold out but we slept like babies. I guess we were spoilt, great memories!
Elaine

Bianca Street, Bootle - moved to Canada 1982
Liz H

My two brothers and I shared a bed, me at the top and them at the bottom, all year round. The army greatcoat went on top of the scratchy blankets in winter. We also had one of those old stone hot water bottles, rather than a lemonade bottle. Did that make us posh? If so it was the only thing that did :D. We had no bathroom or hot water, so it was a morning wash at the kitchen sink. Freezing!! :shock:
Lived in Garden Lane Bootle then moved to Netherton, where my mum still lives.
Liz H

Eh? What happened with all the asterisks? I only meant to say "kitchen sink". :roll:
Lived in Garden Lane Bootle then moved to Netherton, where my mum still lives.
kenswayken

The K word is banned Liz to avoid Spammers using the Forum to flog their stuff. :D Ken
Freda Wady (was Jones)

We used to have "hot bricks" They were warmed up in the big black range we had in the kitchen ( living room). The " back kitchen " was the cooking and washing part. My grandma made little bags from terry towelling which we put the hot brick in. I seem to remember they were smaller bricks not as big as a house brick
Freda Wady (was Jones)

Can we unasterisk the kitchen word now
bambi

What is all this asterisk about,Can someone explain it to me,finf it a bit odd.Simple thing post about keeping warm,am I missing something,Regards Bambi.......
bjones

Bambi and Freda as Ken explained further up, the word for the room where food is prepared will always be replaced with asterisks as Mack has programmed things that way. A while back a company that makes fitted units for that room kept posting on the site. This is known as "spamming"; could be called free advertising. Spammers are unwelcome, hence Mack's adjustment. Most people know what you mean when they see ******* so don't worry, the sense of your post is getting through. You could of course always use galley or cuisine or cocina.......
Bee

"Life" is a gift to you. The way you live your life is your gift to those who come after.
kenswayken

Or Keittio in Finnish :lol: K
bambi

Yes understand now..How very strange..So now there are words on a forum you can not use,What will be next.. :cry: Regards Bambi...