Fred Williams shop, Knowsley Road

Your place to talk about your Bootle memories
bluesenora

We lived over this shop until 1956ish.My Auntie lived opposite over the fish/fruit shop which was owned by Vera someone , I think she was a councillor. We moved to Netherton and moved back to Bootle about 1966.My Dad drank in the Borough, I think it was around Peel Road and my Nan lived in Pope Street.Best days of my childhood in Bootle, did not like Netherton at all. I started in St Joan of Arc in 1951 and used to drop my twin brothers off in Peel Road Nursery, I also went to Robert Bellarmine and St Winefrides until they built Thomas Aquinas in Netherton where I spent the last term ( and the best) of my schooldays. :D
PETER CRAIG

Welcome to the Bootle forum bluesenora,
Peter.
jetjockey

bluesenora wrote:We lived over this shop until 1956ish.My Auntie lived opposite over the fish/fruit shop which was owned by Vera someone , I think she was a councillor. We moved to Netherton and moved back to Bootle about 1966.My Dad drank in the Borough, I think it was around Peel Road and my Nan lived in Pope Street.Best days of my childhood in Bootle, did not like Netherton at all. I started in St Joan of Arc in 1951 and used to drop my twin brothers off in Peel Road Nursery, I also went to Robert Bellarmine and St Winefrides until they built Thomas Aquinas in Netherton where I spent the last term ( and the best) of my schooldays. :D
Welcome blue señora the ladies name I think your looking for is Vera Bray who was a councillor for many years hope this helps

JJ
Tempus Pretiosum Utiler Consumtum
Mike R

Hi,
I remember Fred Williams had 2 shops almost opposite each other on Knowsley Rd. One shop was a haberdashery shop and the other one was a Gents outfitters. The Gents outfitters had a big clock outside. I lived in Bulwer St and Fred's clock could be seen from the end of the street.

Many a time, I was sent off to the end of the street, in all weathers, to check the time when the only clock in our house, a Westclox, had stopped.

For many years after, I was right miffed, as my younger brother escaped this chore, 'cos by the time he had come along and grown up, we had acquired a phone and TIM was used after that!

The man who run the Gents shop was a local man and he was a real Gent according to my mum, (can't remember his name). He had the prettiest daughter with long dark hair and me and all my mates lusted after her, but to no avail. Sadly for us, she later married a local lad (in a hurry allegedly!).

Also, relatives of Fred, the Williams, lived in Bulwer St. They were Mr and Mrs Williams and their twin sons, Stanley and Leslie. They were known as the "Twinnies" and were called that for years. They were inseparable and both bike mad. They went everywhere together on their bikes and latterly on their motor bikes.

In later years, I heard that Stanley had got married and I wondered who Leslie found to ride his bike with, as they had been practically joined at the hip when they were younger.

My thanks to bluesenora for reviving the memories.

Warm regards

Mike R.
Born in Oxford St Maternity.
Lived in Southey St for 5 years then moved to Bulwer St till 1981!
Walton till 1987
Sunny Wirral since.
BOBHAMO

Hi blue senora :D :D :D
Freds shop in 1962 was selling Peramulaters :D :D
nos 113 ,115 where Careys shop is on the photo
his outfitters no 124 is part of corals and the end shop was william ross my mate steve lived above
bobhamo
bootle born altcar road
bjones

Hi Bluesenora, Councillor Vera Bray was the mum of Sheila, one of our members.
Is your family name Devaney and are the cousins you mention Janet and George Baker?

Mike R. we also used Fred Williams' to check our clock but only had to stick our heads out of the front door. I too remember the Twinnies and their mum who looked so like them. I never knew their first names until I read your post. What school did they go to? I don't remember them at Gray St.
Bee

"Life" is a gift to you. The way you live your life is your gift to those who come after.
Mack
Site Admin

Hiya,

Moved this to our "Talk About the History of Bootle" section for more replies.

Mack
Mike R

Hi B

Stan and Les both went to St Georges if I remember rightly, they didn't go to St Joans (where I went). I'm sure that they would've gone to Gray St y'know 'cos they were "proddy dogs" not "catty cats" like me!!!!

You're right, their Mum did look a lot like them and I remember that she was always immaculately dressed, but it in a style straight out of the 30s/40s.

She was a lovely lady and her hairstyle was just as we used to see in the old black and white movies on Tele!

My Mum used to say that she was the nicest person but that she dressed "Amtwaccy!!!"

As to Vera Bray, Councillor Bray went on to be the Mayor of Bootle and if I'm not mistaken her daughter was appointed Lady Mayoress.

When I was an apprentice motor mechanic at Bootle Corpy, I used to work on the Mayors car, a big black Austin Princess Reg. No. EM 1.

I was trusted so much that I was eventually allowed to take the car out, on test after servicing.

I really blotted my copy book one day, when I went home, while out on test and gave my Mum a lift to the shops in it. Stupidly, and just like any teenager would, I dropped her off, just outside Vera Bray's shop, without thinking.

Mrs Bray flew out of the shop and gave me a right dressing down!! My mum wasn't half embarrassed and she laid into me too!

Fortunately for me, Vera was a very old friend of my Dad's and it never went any further. Well, not until my Dad found out and he gave me drubbing too.

That put an end to my joyriding in the Mayors car for good!!!!

Rgds

Mike R.
Walton till 1987
Sunny Wirral since.
jddry

Image this photo has been on here before knowsley road 1948 fred Williams shop that I knew was next to william ross and it was a chandlers then next door was a newsagents and a couple of doors down was fells the bike and models shop and of course the prefabs the clock has gone now I dont know who took that down and I wonder if the tram lines are under the tarmac.
jetjockey

jddry wrote:Image this photo has been on here before knowsley road 1948 fred Williams shop that I knew was next to william ross and it was a chandlers then next door was a newsagents and a couple of doors down was fells the bike and models shop and of course the prefabs the clock has gone now I dont know who took that down and I wonder if the tram lines are under the tarmac.
The Chandlers was Chambers went to Grey Street school with one of the lads can't remember his but he was the youngest and the newsagents was Lloyds Fells shop was afavorite of mine i bought my Keil Kraft model planes from there happy days

JJ
Mike R

Hi JJ

Fells was a favourite of mine too. I used to wait for my Dad at the bus stop on pay day, in the vain hope that I could cajole him into buying me an Airfix Kit.

I only managed it twice! I'd wait with my face pressed up against Fells window, admiring all the models and bikes and stuff.

Old Fell himself was the most miserable so and so going an' my Dad didn't like him. If he'd have been a bit more of a happy fella, then maybe I'd have managed it more often!!

I do know that Mr Fell was devastated when his son went off to university and wouldn't follow him into the business.

That was the kind of juicy gossip that my Mum picked up from Lloyds when she went to pick up the Echo!!!!!

Like you said........Happy Days!

Best Rgds

Mike R.
Walton till 1987
Sunny Wirral since.
bjones

John (jet jockey) the Chambers boys were Brian and Robin (I think).
As for Mr Fell's, can't remember anywhere else you could buy batteries andr I'm sure he sold tyres for dinky cars for about a penny each - seems amazing in this "throw away" age.

Mike - I deffo don't remember the Twinnies at Grayo. I was there until 1961. How old would they be?

Looking at the pic Ross' is where I remember it being; next door to Chambers, but where is Gillespie's bakery shop? In my age addled brain I seem to remember both Ross' and Gillespie's being the last shop before the toy factory :? :?
Bee

"Life" is a gift to you. The way you live your life is your gift to those who come after.
sheila

Bee
It was Ross', Chambers, Fred Williams, and then the bakers.

Sheila :D
My family tree is full of nuts
Mike R

BJ
Hi, I always remember that the "Twinnies" were about 2 years older than me and in 1961, I would have 11 years old (probably the same age as yourself!). So by that time, I guess that they would have been in the "Georges" for about 2 years.

However, I'm only assuming that they went to Gray St as It was the only C of E primary school locally, that I know of.

I can't remember exactly, but I'm sure someone will enlighten us though.

Rgds

Mike R
Walton till 1987
Sunny Wirral since.
bjones

Thanks Sheila, I knew you'd know as I remember you mentioning you were friends with Mrs Gillespie's daughter. The sequence I remember is The Queens, Christie's(?) chemists, Mr Fell's, the newsagents, Fred Williams', Chambers' chandlers and Ross' just couldn't remember where Gillespie's was :(

Mike - pretty sure that the twins didn't go to Gray St. They'd have been in my brother's year and I think I knew everyone in that year. Perhaps they went up the road to Linacre. Your mum was right, their mum really did look like she'd stepped straight out of the 40's. Do you (or anyone else) remember the lady who worked in the Dry Cleaners further up Knowsley Rd, I think either near Robert's chippy or Mrs Rowland's wool shop. She wore her hair in the victory roll style right into the 1960s - it fascinated me how perfect it was.
Bee

jetjockey

bjones wrote:John (jet jockey) the Chambers boys were Brian and Robin (I think).
As for Mr Fell's, can't remember anywhere else you could buy batteries andr I'm sure he sold tyres for dinky cars for about a penny each - seems amazing in this "throw away" age.

Mike - I deffo don't remember the Twinnies at Grayo. I was there until 1961. How old would they be?

Looking at the pic Ross' is where I remember it being; next door to Chambers, but where is Gillespie's bakery shop? In my age addled brain I seem to remember both Ross' and Gillespie's being the last shop before the toy factory :? :?
Thanks Bee it was Brian I went to school with along with Alan Baron from across the "Shop next to Carey's in the first photo when I looked in about two years got a shock when they told me Alan had died

Re your later post I do remember Mrs Rowlands and just coming back to Fells he also charged motor bike batteries in them days they were 6volt and in a see through case

JJ
Mike R

BJ

Oh my goodness, you've done it now, mentioning Roberts Chippy!!

My mouth starts watering at the thought of his Curry potato croquettes. They were his own invention and I loved them!

I've never seen them in any other chippy since he retired. I've even tried to make 'em myself, all to no avail.

My Mum and Dad used to take me as a small child, to Robert's chippy after a night at the Gainey, Robert used to give a chip wrapped in a piece of paper to any baby or toddler brought into his shop. He really loved kids but I don't think he and his wife had any.

When he retired, my Mum told me his shop was closing so I went to get my last Curry croquette. I can taste it now!!!!!!!

I also remember Alan Baron from his parents shop. He used to deliver the papers when they had no paper boys. He would sometimes bring his girlfriend with him, who he later married. Mrs Baron still runs the shop two doors down from Carey's, now with her daughter. Alan's sudden death was a shock to everyone.

This is turning into a memory Fest for me.

I remember when Berwick's toy factory closed and they relocated to Birkenhead.. They opened the doors and invited the local kids to help themselves. There was a scatter like you've never seen. When I got there, most of the stuff was gone, but I managed to get a couple of intact board games and as I was walking home, there were loads of kids passing me to see if they could get anything!!

Like someone said "Happy Days"

Rgds
Mike R.
Walton till 1987
Sunny Wirral since.
Brunnyboy

i go to barons at least 3 times a week and it dont stink of curry
jddry

the Williams brothers lived in bulwer street in the houses[not the prefabs] not far from Robinsons engineering my brother went mates with them and yes those curry croquets were marvellous.
BOBHAMO

Cant remember the wiliam twins at linacre
or the georges remember the musker twins
bobhamo
bootle born altcar road
jetjockey

BOBHAMO wrote:Cant remember the wiliam twins at linacre
or the georges remember the musker twins
bobhamo
Where did the Musker twins Live Bob was it by Johnsons ?

JJ
Glenys

Re Gillespie's, was the daughter called Mabel??? If so she went to Bootle Grammar same time as I did. Didn't Gillespie's move to somewhere near Rice Lane flyover??
Lived Linacre Lane, Trinity Road & Knowsley Road.
tommyMc

The Williams brothers did go to Gray St and then St George of England I too lived in Bulwer St many moons ago they lived in number 27
marymaple que.

Hi/ I would just like to know if you are related to the --Devany-- family, if you are I would love to know how everyone is? our families were pretty close friends year's ago, I remember going to visit aunty Lily..there used to be an entry way..somewhere behind the toy factory or the Queen's, I do not remember but that was the only way to get to their apt.we lost touch over the year's, my mom's name was Julia Morgan, and we lived in Hood St. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Shelagh

Enjoyed all the review's regarding Fred Williams shop, can remember, my mother buying a very modern tiled fire place from Fred William's, in 1952, my dad, also, bought many a flat cap in Fred's menswear, over the year's, yes, no wonder, so many "Knowsley Roader's" and beyond, have so many fond memories of the place. Wondered if anyone remembered all those happy times spent at the "Gainey" Saturday mornings, the orange lollies, ice cream tub's, and not forgetting the lovely commissionaire, "Sonny Kenny", (alway's had a smile for everyone, including us kids) happy time's indeed.