Food from bootle 60's

Your place to talk about your Bootle memories
Patricia

I remember having fried bread on a Sunday with bacon, egg, tomatoes and black pudding. Also my Mum used to fix some little fish that she curled up in rows in a baking dish and baked in the oven with vinegar? Hot Pot was another dish that Mum prepared it was always done in this big brown pot. Another favorite of my Dad's was cheese, bacon & Onion! He also used to love his tripe & onions but Mum cooked it in milk and it looked absolutely disgusting plobbing up and down in the pan :roll:
bjones

Mark if it's party food you're after;
Loretta's suggestion of foil wrapped spud with hotdog sausages on cocktail sticks is a must.
Similar is the foil wrapped grapefruit spiked with cheese and pineapple bits on cocktail sticks.
Another must is Joyce's Vol au vents (really Joyce, Miss Fairhurst would turn in her grave with that spelling :lol:) )
Ritz crackers with cream cheese and perhaps a prawn or bit of cucumber on - they'd go soggy if not eaten quickly.
Not sure if a big bowl of chilli con carne is 60s or 70s but if you do that don't forget to be careful about the rice.
And don't forget black forest gateau for afters
Who remembers the fondue sets that became trendy at the end of the 60s? The pan was filled with cheesy stuff and everyone dipped bits of bread or veg on the end of little forks. I always thought they were a bit germy myself but if you had one now, filled it with melted chocolate and had marshmallows and strawberries to dip I'd be in like Flynn - and there's a 60s expression for you :lol:
Bee

"Life" is a gift to you. The way you live your life is your gift to those who come after.
Patricia

Bee - They have a restaurant over here called "The Melting Pot" First they bring you a Cheese Fondue Pot with small plates containing cubes of different bread for each person. Then you are served a platter of strips of chicken ,beef and veggies which you cook yourself on a central panel in the middle of the table. They provide you with bowls of rice. Finally they bring in the good stuff,a Fondue Pot containing warm melted Chocolate and a large platter of mixed fruit & cake pieces that you dip into the chocolate - Yummy!!
It is quite an experience but Lew didn't like it one bit said why should he pay an exorbitant price and then have to work all evening for his food! :roll:
lily8

Patricia the fish in vinegar you mentioned would most likely be Soused Herrings which I still make every now and then for his nibs. I think it was a dished made by a lot of our parents/grandparents back in the days when herring was good and plentiful.
Lily
Silver-Haired-Hippy

I think the other name for the herrings Patricia and Lily is Rollmops? I didn't like them whatever they were called!!!

Loretta
A bit of Bootle in Wales
lily8

Loretta, I am not really sure but I think rollmops were different, I have some memory in the back of my head that tells me rollmops were a Danish or Norwegian dish which may have not been cooked just pickled. Soused Herrings are done in vinegar and spices with a small (optional) amount of onion and roasted in the oven
Lily
scotty

All gave some
Some gave all
lily8

Soused herring recipe for those who may want to try it Courtesy the Two fat Ladies site:

4 herrings, cleaned, boned and heads and tails removed
1 small onion, sliced
1 tablespoon mixed pickling sauce
2 bay leaves
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/4 pint (1/2 cup) dry white wine
1/4 pint (1/2 cup) good wine vinegar
Directions

Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F.

Lay the herrings in a fireproof dish, cover with the sliced onion, sprinkle with the pickling spice and add bay leaves, salt and pepper. Mix the wine and wine vinegar and pour over. Cook in the oven for about 1 1/2 hours. Allow to get cold before serving.
Lily
lily8

What is your best Spam recipe Scotty???? :D
Lily
scotty

Edited
All gave some
Some gave all
scotty

lily8 wrote:
What is your best Spam recipe Scotty???? :D
Hi Lily, I know this sounds really unhealthy but, battered and deep fried spam, with egg and chips.Haven't had it for years but I can still remember the taste,Mmmmm me mouf is waterin.By the way, that's an old army recipe. They say an army marches on it's stomach. It's a wonder we weren't all twenty stone.
Scotty
All gave some
Some gave all
lily8

Daft to say Scotty but I still buy the odd can of spam I know it's fatty and probably unhealthy but I actually like the taste :shock: Apparently the Polynesians love it and buy it in staggering amounts. As a child like you we had it with chips and eggs and baked beans. A Polynesian recipe for spam

Polynesian bake

1/4 cup lemon juice 12-oz can SPAM, cut into 7 slices
1/4 cup apricot preserves Dried apricots
1 tbsp prepared mustard Maraschino cherries
1/4 tsp pepper Mushrooms
1 fresh pineapple

Heat oven to 350. In small bowl combine lemon juice, preserves, mustard and pepper; stir to blend. With sharp knife, halve the pineapple, cutting through foliage and fruit. Cut flesh away from skin; slice crosswise to yield 6 slices. Use remaining pineapple half in fresh fruit salad or serve fresh pineapple with other meals. Alternate pineapple, SPAM slices to form loaf; place in halved pineapple. Brush with apricot mixture. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until heated through, brushing with marinade every 15 minutes. Garnish with dried apricots, maraschino cherries or fluted mushrooms. Yield: 6 servings
Lily
scotty

Lily, I still love spam. When Loretta and I do our hill walks, we always pack a picnic. Nothing like an incredible view, a nice flask of tea and a spam butty with h.p. sauce of course.
Scotty
All gave some
Some gave all
lily8

With your hill walks you both probably burn off a lot of spam calories mate, I love a spam butty with hot English mustard and lettuce :shock:
Lily
lynne99

Shame about HP coming from Holland , I think.
marknjen

Wow :shock:

Thanks everyone

:wink:
Bill Tomo

Me Mam used to send me for some Pigs Tails, and she used to say tell the butcher to cut them as near to the neck as possible.. and a Humptyback Rabbit , to stop the pie crust from sagging in the middle.. what about Jam Fritters, a jam butty fried in batter..Sugar on a spoon burnt to make gravy browning, thats why you allways had a black spoon in the drawer.
Those were the days, Bill Tomo.. :) :wink:
kaycee

I can taste the salt fish on a Sunday morning that my Mum had soaking all night. I hadn't thought of that for years!! Conny onny with tinned fruit. An a fight over who got the one and only cherry in the tin :D

The best and all time winner has to be Scouse. There are a thousand different ways to make it and everyone's is 'the best ever'.

Loved this topic, cheers
henry

kaycee wrote:I can taste the salt fish on a Sunday morning that my Mum had soaking all night. I hadn't thought of that for years!! Conny onny with tinned fruit. An a fight over who got the one and only cherry in the tin :D

The best and all time winner has to be Scouse. There are a thousand different ways to make it and everyone's is 'the best ever'.

Loved this topic, cheers
Never had conny onny with fruit only evap
HENRY BORN FLORIDA STREET OFF STRAND ROAD
kaycee

Oh I thought that was evap!!

It was deffo evap with the fruit :D
Patricia

Talking of mistaking connie onny for evap. Here is another mistake. While Lew and I were dating we went to Chester for the day and in the evening went to one of the local Chinese restaurants. After our meal the waiter asked if we wanted dessert and I ordered peaches & ice cream. Lew said he would also take peaches with just the syrup no ice cream. I tucked into mine and on looking up saw Lew was having some difficulty struggling to get his spoon out of the bowl and as he pulled it came out in a long string. They had poured Tate & Lyle syrup over the peaches!! :D I can only imagine what they were saying to each other preparing that dish!! :D
Matt

Love that one Patricia.Very funny.
Matt
lily8

That gave me a giggle Patricia well he did ask for syrup and they probably had to send someone to a shop for it too :D

Conny Onny and Evaporated Milk everything you wanted to know from Good food site::
What is evaporated milk?
As its moniker explains, evaporated milk is milk which has had about sixty percent of the water removed via evaporation. It is then homogenized, rapidly chilled, fortified with vitamins and stabilizers, packaged, and finally sterilized. Standards require whole evaporated milk contain at least 7.9 percent milk fat and 25.5 percent milk solids. The high heat process gives it a bit of a caramelized flavor, and it is slightly darker in color than fresh milk. The evaporation process naturally concentrates the nutrients and the calories, so evaporated versions are more calorie-laden and nutritious than their fresh counterparts. You'll find skim, low-fat and whole milk varieties of evaporated milk. Low-fat and skim versions are also required to have added vitamin A, while all have added vitamins D and C.
What is sweetened condensed milk?
Sweetened condensed milk goes through less processing than evaporated milk. Sixty percent of the water has also been removed from condensed milk, but it differs in that sugar has been added. Condensed milk contains 40 to 45 percent sugar, at least 8 percent fat and 28 percent milk solids. Condensed milk is pasteurized during the evaporation procedure, with the added sugar making any further sterilization unnecessary, since the sugar inhibits the growth of microorganisms. Governmental regulations require that vitamin A be added to condensed milk, but no other nutrients are required by law although they may be added. Condensed milk is very high in calories.

Unsweetened condensed milk is a redundant term. It is simply evaporated milk.

When mixed with an acidic ingredient, sweetened condensed milk thickens naturally without requiring heat. It is perfectly suited for puddings, pie fillings, bar cookies and refrigerated desserts. Condensed milk comes in regular, low-fat, fat-free, and even chocolate varieties.

You will readily notice that sweetened condensed milk is darker, more yellow in color as well as being extremely thick like molasses. Evaporated milk is slightly darker in color than whole milk, but pours the same.
Lily
dezzer

I'm still partial to a jam fritter.
Mostly Northern Thailand.
frank2014

salt fish
dripping butties
dezzer

Jelly and chunks.
Mostly Northern Thailand.
frank2014

ox heart with sunday roast
Liz H

The smell of the salt fish my nan used to soak overnight on Saturday for Sunday breakfast. It was too salty for me, though. And the bubble and squeak she used to make on Sunday evening from the leftover veg from Sunday lunch, although that seemed to be exclusively for the men-folk - don't ask me why. I keep trying to re-create it, without any success whatsoever.
Lived in Garden Lane Bootle then moved to Netherton, where my mum still lives.
lynne99

Went in to a co-op shop near London and could not find any evap on the shelves. Asked one of the assistants- he did not know what evap was and had to ask the manager. :? No , no evap in the shop :( :(
Patricia

Mum was renowned for her pastry and especially her Apple Pies - practically every Sunday I remember we would take one to my
Grandparents.
Also remember home made scones with butter & blackcurrent jam. Never forget how we would have the same food on each day
of the week ie: Monday was Scouse, Tuesday was Mum's main weekly shopping day so we always had a treat, usually Chips,Chops
and Peas w/cupcakes or cream buns for dessert; meatloaf on Wednesday Thursday was either mixed grill or bacon,liver & onions;
Friday was Fish & Chips or tripe & onions for Dad, Saturday we had a big dinner at lunchtime and salad of an evening and Sunday
the roast with all the trimmings and cold cuts - sliced meat & cheese w/pickles and plenty of bread and butter in the evening.
Dessert was almost always tinned fruit and evap.
That's why I enjoyed "Shirley Valentine" as the same thing went on in her house although my Mum sang rather than talked to the
walls! :D
marknjen

Wow just amazing different foods :shock: