connollys timber yard bootle

Your place to talk about your Bootle memories
marknjen

Hi I recently asked about Proctors timber yard strand rd bootle, nobody seemed to rem it, it could be that it may have been connollys timber! anyone have any info? past relatives worked there? anything? thanks
henry

The only one i can think of in Strand Road was LAMBS
HENRY BORN FLORIDA STREET OFF STRAND ROAD
marknjen

hmmm thats what a lot of people were saying last time too! :(
i wonder if there is any websites i could use to look up?
john james ingham

lambs was in irlam rd opposite the muncaster I worked there.proctors was in strand rd by the derby arms worked there as well only a few weeks.
born bank rd off strand rd.
john james ingham

the other timber yard was crichleys in strand rd.we have had this before.
john j connell

Marknjen, could it be possible that working at Proctors timber yard could be getting confused with working on the timber for Proctors, allow me to explain, as you may know Richard Proctors was a haulage firm and as such most of its work was based on and around the docks, apart from the drivers most of the labour was employed on a casual basis, the practise was to turn up at Proctors yard between 7-7-30 AM and you would go on what was known as the stand, (similar to the means of getting work in ships scaling) and depending on how busy the port was various numbers of men got to work. Liverpool was one of the main ports for the importation of timber, and once you had been chosen for the timber gangs you could easily be in work for the whole of the year, my brother Pat worked for Proctors on a casual basis between 62/66,, apart from being on the timber there was also work on the butter boats (New Zealand) and the jobs no one ever wanted, Carbon Black and Hooves and Horns, (ring any bells John). JJC.
BOBHAMO

Markjen as john has mentioned
thomas connelly used the the same yard as procters 53a strand road
early 60s, also vincent murphy timber merchants no 77
patrick hiinckes and rj tickle no 97 timber merchants
bobhamo
bootle born altcar road
john james ingham

bobhamo was the big timber yard v.murphys and not crithleys.
BOBHAMO

John from no 77 to 97 was Murphys
so must have been a big yard
all i have on critchleys at no 57 was a coal merchant
bobhamo
bootle born altcar road
marknjen

BOBHAMO wrote:Markjen as john has mentioned
thomas connelly used the the same yard as procters 53a strand road
early 60s, also vincent murphy timber merchants no 77
patrick hiinckes and rj tickle no 97 timber merchants
bobhamo
Thanks guys, Thomas Connelly....that's who I'm after! my great grandfather William McGrady married Susan Connelly who's father was named Thomas Connelly as was her brother, my William was a timber measurer, now my William died in 1945 aged 71,so the Thomas you guys rem or knew must be Susan's brother I think, does anyone know any relations of this family please? Thanks :wink:
john james ingham

ok bob thanks.
Matt

Last edited by Matt on Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
WatsonTommy

procters was a haulage company,i worked there as a h.g.v.drivers for a couple of years,we delivered timber all over the country from the docks,contaners,general haulage etc..a assett stripper closed it down.the derby arms was opposite the main gate.
Philly/Gags

Tommy how are you mate long time (philly Martys bro) you are right, Poctors corner of Irlam and Strand Road facing Derby Arms, if I remember correctly Proctor had another yard bottom of Coffee Hse Bridge and Berry St the Haulers managers front door was actually on the bridge itself??
Philly
bootle/dodge/bootle
WatsonTommy

hi phil how is marty, j connoly said hes had a bad time
Philly/Gags

He's picking up now thanks Tommy I will tell him you were asking. (Spock) has been great, done a lot of running around for him.
bootle/dodge/bootle
WatsonTommy

worked with your other brother in caldwells timber,whicch is now outdoor world derby road, about 1965/ 6
WatsonTommy

did you have a elder brother worked for caldwells timber now outdoor world on derby road
Philly/Gags

Yes Tom our Teddy worked on the timber, Caldwell's and I think Foulds and Rose by the Miranda. He Passed away early 70's, he worked in Williams toffee before the timber
bootle/dodge/bootle
marknjen

WatsonTommy wrote:hi phil how is marty, j connoly said hes had a bad time
Hi is J connoly related to the connollys I'm looking for do you know. Thanks :wink:
Philly/Gags

Hi Marknjen, I really wouldnt know about any Connolly Relationships but I will ask the question when next I see John Connolly if he was or is any relation to the Connolly Timber Merchants.

Philly
bootle/dodge/bootle
marknjen

Philly/Gags wrote:Hi Marknjen, I really wouldnt know about any Connolly Relationships but I will ask the question when next I see John Connolly if he was or is any relation to the Connolly Timber Merchants.

Philly
Thankyou very much Philly
Cheers mark
jmoorcroft

I dont know if its any relevance, I remember that facing the Derby Arms in Irlam Rd was Harland and Wolff's shipyard adjacent was Littlewoods. The boatyard went ran down to Derby Rd, with the Bootle Arms, then Littlewoods. Jim Moorcroft.
jmoorcroft
WatsonTommy

john connoly is no relation,fred connoly had several brothers,they ownesd proctors so sorry about ted a nice quiet man, you remember jimmy smith {r.i.p)had a brother sammy lived in longfellow st and jimmy was in the T/A with us, passed away yesterday he was in A troop,give marty my very best,he was in the battle of the (BLUETIT)in when we did a camp at OLLERTON nottingham,he was a left hooker was a like a cowboy saloon fight place was wrecked and the next day the officers went to appologise and pay for the damage I was duty driver,he gave them all drinks,( except me) he put his blazer jacket on and he had a parra badge on it and said your men were on there best behavior and this crowd were always causing trouble till they picked on the red haired fellow (your marty and billy owens,and that was how it started so no appoigies necesary,it became our local after that,
Philly/Gags

You are right Tommy J.Connolly was not related to the Hauliers family.
Sorry to hear about Smithie, I remember the Bluetit fight, I was on my HGV driver training course there at Ollerton, drank a lot of Mead there at the bluetit Tommy, I passed my HGV Two in the first week and became an instructor for the rest of the camp, good times eh!!! El Frankie you were there mate.
bootle/dodge/bootle
WatsonTommy

they reckon some of the movie THE GREAT ESCAPE was filmed there at ollerton camp,did you know about( richy mc rea) he passed away 6 moths ago( billy owens( bullet)only only me left standing, remeber those wagons (hippos no powered steering wooden seats 25 miles an hour, 2nd world war crap all the way down south we drove them, the miners in the bluetit used to give us there pidgeons and tolet them go when we got down there ....hard work but wouldnnt have missed it for the world.....will try and find out about the connolys if i can .t t f n
marknjen

I'm still confused guys did Freddie connolly own proctors? Or his brothers? And does anyone know of any relations to this family please? Thanks guys :wink:
WatsonTommy

the connolly's were the owners
marknjen

Thanks Tommy,
Does anybody know any relations to Thomas Connolly please?
Mick Larkin

marknjen wrote:Thanks Tommy,
Does anybody know any relations to Thomas Connolly please?
There was a Jimmy Connolly who worked in the office at Proctors in Strand Rd. He was a nice bloke, he lived in Watchyard Lane in Formby, I worked for Proctors as a driver early 70s
marknjen

Thanks Mick :wink:
marknjen

WatsonTommy wrote:john connoly is no relation,fred connoly had several brothers,they ownesd proctors so sorry about ted a nice quiet man, you remember jimmy smith {r.i.p)had a brother sammy lived in longfellow st and jimmy was in the T/A with us, passed away yesterday he was in A troop,give marty my very best,he was in the battle of the (BLUETIT)in when we did a camp at OLLERTON nottingham,he was a left hooker was a like a cowboy saloon fight place was wrecked and the next day the officers went to appologise and pay for the damage I was duty driver,he gave them all drinks,( except me) he put his blazer jacket on and he had a parra badge on it and said your men were on there best behavior and this crowd were always causing trouble till they picked on the red haired fellow (your marty and billy owens,and that was how it started so no appoigies necesary,it became our local after that,
Hi Tommy, if the Connolys owned Proctors any ideas why it were called that and not Connolys hahaha? Cheers
Mark
Mick Larkin

The connolys did own proctors along with a Catholic priest named Coyne, who also owned a taxi office in Crosby
His relatives were also hauliers and still in business Mick Coyne his yard is on Derby Road, Tommy Watson should know him
As Tommy is a lot older than me :D
WatsonTommy

the coynes haulage are still on derby road they do refrigeration work but try the yellow pages phone book you might some info from them
ronjo

My wife's family Sinclair once owned a lot of properties in Strand Road, Bank Road, Kenilworth Street and Waverley Street. In 1915 these included a timber yard at 58-64 Strand Road.
I don't know which company leased it from the Sinclairs at that time, but Kelly's directory for 1932 has "Lamb Bros, Timber merchants 58 to 64 Strand Road Bootle, Trading as "Teakwood Liverpool" .
This information may or may not resolve the arguments in 2014 and 2016 about which yards were where, and what they were called, but but I thought I'd post it anyway.

Ron.